Author Topic: _FANalysis: Efficient Option Football  (Read 5972 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
_FANalysis: Efficient Option Football
« on: September 26, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »
My take on how Snyder used an option run game package to destroy Miami.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: _FANalysis: Efficient Option Football
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08:56 PM »
 :thumbsup:
:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:57 PM »
Good job fan . . . and  say aye if you saw the speed option check on Hubert's long run the second they got to the LOS.

Aye!!

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »
Jesus christ fan. Complete with X and Os. So blessed.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
Good job fan . . . and  say aye if you saw the speed option check on Hubert's long run the second they got to the LOS.

Aye!!

Miami's DC was so stupid there. He had to know an option check was common for Snyder, and Klein HAD to take that one. That was too easy.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »
Loved that
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:19:21 PM »

ksu_fan is a keeper.  I read everything this dude posts.  He knows what he's talking about to so that makes it a joy.

I noticed the stretch zone read....they used a couple of variations with it too depending on the formation.  That sneaky weakside bastage play from the defender making tackles from the backside during EKY was eliminated using either the backside tackle or a TE or F-Back just off the line.  The biggest difference from week 1 and week 4?  We're staying on blocks and forcing backside defenders to bow around any blocks.  To make it fly is taking advantage of your BIG, physical, and experienced receivers taking out the trash either on the 2nd level or on the edges.  On a few of these plays it looked like Miami was playing touch football.

As is always the case....Snyder can scheme he hell out of folks and he's got a horse he can ride in his QB and his OL coach (if you haven't bought Charlie Dickey stock it might be too late).
Academics is a stupid word.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline KSU-Krazie

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
Please never leave us _FAN!    :thumbs:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
Fantastic.

However, next time please add the xbox button letter to each player...I want to try this at home.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:43:11 PM »
 :love: :love: :love:

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 12:45:47 PM »
Klein is a very smart QB, yes?
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »

ksu_fan is a keeper.  I read everything this dude posts.  He knows what he's talking about to so that makes it a joy.

I noticed the stretch zone read....they used a couple of variations with it too depending on the formation.  That sneaky weakside bastage play from the defender making tackles from the backside during EKY was eliminated using either the backside tackle or a TE or F-Back just off the line.  The biggest difference from week 1 and week 4?  We're staying on blocks and forcing backside defenders to bow around any blocks.  To make it fly is taking advantage of your BIG, physical, and experienced receivers taking out the trash either on the 2nd level or on the edges.  On a few of these plays it looked like Miami was playing touch football.

As is always the case....Snyder can scheme he hell out of folks and he's got a horse he can ride in his QB and his OL coach (if you haven't bought Charlie Dickey stock it might be too late).

This was one of the reasons the EKU game was so strange; they simply stunted someone through when we pulled offensive linemen and we seemingly had no adjustment, or simply chose not to use it. But clearly we've fixed that issue.

And its easy to see why Snyder would love stretch read; it combines a zone read/option with power football. If there are two aspects of offensive football the man loves its those two as much or more than any.

Unfortunately some of the credit for stretch read has to go to our former conference brethren from the north. While I don't know that they were the first, they really started having success with it last year with Martinez.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
so blessed.

premium content over here is so much better than the $5.95/mo I was paying at ksufans.com

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »
so blessed.

premium content over here is so much better than the $5.95/mo I was paying at ksufans.com

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 01:30:02 PM »
When you get a moment, drop BSAC a PM and thank him for agreeing to pay _Fan his asking price.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 06:20:27 AM »
_FAN/pan, what's your take on the passing game? It seemed liked most of our successful passes (especially early on) were plays where Klein immediately passed to his first option on a quick route. No reads, etc. My guess is that this was Snyder understanding his limitations and scheming to get him easy completions that both move the chains/keep the defense somewhat honest and build his confidence and get him into a rhythm (the play in the 1st half where we audibled Harper into the slot and threw him a quick strike under the zone is a great example of this). Have you seen any signs of Klein getting better at reading the defense post-snap and going through his progressions?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
_FAN/pan, what's your take on the passing game? It seemed liked most of our successful passes (especially early on) were plays where Klein immediately passed to his first option on a quick route. No reads, etc. My guess is that this was Snyder understanding his limitations and scheming to get him easy completions that both move the chains/keep the defense somewhat honest and build his confidence and get him into a rhythm (the play in the 1st half where we audibled Harper into the slot and threw him a quick strike under the zone is a great example of this). Have you seen any signs of Klein getting better at reading the defense post-snap and going through his progressions?

Yes, that's a very good observation. Klein had great success on his first 2 drives and was 6 of 8 for 95 yards in the passing game. (He also had a short completion on the zone read bubble which I didn't count in my "passing game" stats.) In the short, 3-step drop passing game he was 5-5 for 61 yards on those two drives. You have to give Miami some credit here, after that we attempted 7 more plays in the short, 3-step drop passing game; Klein went 0-3, was sacked 3 times for a loss of 19 yards, and had one scramble for 4 yards in which he also fumbled.

The 2nd half we didn't completely go away from the passing game, we still had 9 called pass plays (13 in the first half) and Klein was actually 4 of 5 throwing, but only for 23 yards. The problem was Miami was able to get pressure, getting 3 sacks (and 1 pressure leading to Klein's rush and fumble) on those 9 calls compared to only 1 on 13 calls in the first half.

Its a bit of an excuse, but I think its legitimate to say part of this was fatigue in the 2nd half (same for the defense). With the rain before the game, it was extremely hot and humid and there is no way we could've simulated that in preparation for the game. I think in some ways that caught up with us. I also think its true that as the game wore on Klein got more banged up, and Miami getting consistent pressure in the 2nd half didn't help.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 08:43:57 AM »
Thanks to Acceleration Man's Miami highlights I was able to pull some screen shots and show the stretch-read in action on Klein's long run to get K-State off the goalline.

(click the link for the full size image)

http://goEMAW.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/stretchreadframes.png

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 08:48:18 AM »
:thumbs:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »
Updated the original breakdown with the frame by frame pic of stretch read and a little bit of explanation of the execution of the play.

And here is a bigger version of the frame by frame pic: http://bit.ly/ripXYX

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »
Fantastic.

However, next time please add the xbox button letter to each player...I want to try this at home.

95% of the time I lose like 5 yards on a zone read :curse:

5% of the time I get a TD :surprised:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
We should hire Bosz56 to write up a well-worded counter-blog on how to stop _FAN's offense.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 11:18:23 AM »
We should hire Bosz56 to write up a well-worded counter-blog on how to stop _FAN's offense.

Right after the pep rally on Monday.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline PurpleSleezyE

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »
That was just plain sexy!  _FAN - thanks for taking the time to break it down! 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »
Here is another one, but features a power lead play that initially looks like stretch read, I called it stretch read follow.

A couple things before looking at the action; 1st, its the same Trey formation (a trips formation with a TE and 2 WRS to one side and a single WR on the opposite side of the formation). 2nd, Wilson is in the game at RB and he's lined up to the strong side (same side as TE), in the play above Hubert was aligned to the weak side. Also, the previous 8 times we ran stretch read in the game we ran it to the strong side (TE side) 6 times. Finaly, another tendancy for K-State with Wilson in the game is to run quarterback lead behind him. As you can see, Miami overloaded the strong side of the formation in the first frame, bringing the strong side linebacker up on the LOS, the mike linebacker to the strong side and weakside linebacker stacked over the center. As a result the stretch read follow was a good call and would've scored had the playside guard not missed the mike linebacker reacting to the play.  

The action of the play is pretty simple; Klein and Wilson show stretch read action to the weak side of the formation. The play side tackle blocks the defensive end (instead of leaving him unblocked), the pulling guard blocks the playside linebacker, and Wilson leads to block the filling mike linebacker. Everyone else blocks down, and the play was helped because Miami looks like they had a stunt on with the nose guard and tackle. The nose guard looked to be going over the top of the tackle which freed up the playside guard to block the mike linebacker, but he didn't see him as he flowed to the ball.

click for full size image

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:30:42 PM by ksu_FAN »