Author Topic: Any cyclists?  (Read 104163 times)

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »
I got one last year, put over 500 miles on it by July 4th. Went on vacation, after that all last year after about 5 miles, my knee would tighten up to where I could barely use my left leg to pedal. Called it quits for the year after a few more attempts.  Got on the bike and tried it a couple times this year, same problem. :(

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
what do you mean stupid?  Clothing or gear or what? What city are you in by the way?

I've been raving about Big Poppi in Manhattan here.  Good bikes at good prices.  The mechanics know their stuff.

Worst rough ridin' mechanics in the region, and owners who know nothing about cycling.  Pathfinder isn't the best show in the world, but the guys there know wtf they are doing.  If they can't handle it, drive to Capps in Topeka or to one of many shops in KC that know their stuff.  If you want your bottom bracket threads stripped out, by all means, go to Big Poppis.
:lol: 

wait are you being serious?  Aaron knows his crap. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »
just buy a used bike on craig's list

I was looking but I really have no idea what model is good or bad. Apparently these Treks are good?
treks, specialized, giant are all going to be pretty similar in this price point.  The biggest thing is making sure the bike fits you.  Specialized and some of the new Giants are doing a weird curved thing with their down tube and top tube of the frame that makes the geometry a bit different than traditional triangle frames.  I would stop by a local bike shop in KC and try some out.  I don't know any of the good ones but I could ask around.  A good bike shop will allow you test ride bikes, and at that price you shouldn't have to bring your own pedals.   
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »
Bike brand snobs

you'll never understand, b/c you'll never be that cool.

:thumbs:

Brooks saddle?

Brooks Swallow.

and matching brooks tape on my townie.

Hmmm, I will guess a dark green frame and pedals with straps (not clips).

False. Bridgestone RB-1 1993 w sun tour superbe pro. Red w/ look keos.

Tough to pull off a cardigan with that setup.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »
Walking (riding) fixie rider stereotype. No brakes. And yes, I will never understand the whole being one with the road thing these morons profess.

And of course he got off at West Oakland.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »
what do you mean stupid?  Clothing or gear or what? What city are you in by the way?

I've been raving about Big Poppi in Manhattan here.  Good bikes at good prices.  The mechanics know their stuff.

Worst rough ridin' mechanics in the region, and owners who know nothing about cycling.  Pathfinder isn't the best show in the world, but the guys there know wtf they are doing.  If they can't handle it, drive to Capps in Topeka or to one of many shops in KC that know their stuff.  If you want your bottom bracket threads stripped out, by all means, go to Big Poppis.

Aaron is a tool.  Couldn't get a job at Capps, got run out of Pathfinder.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Any cyclists?
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »
How do you stop the bike seat from slicing up my grundle meat and prostate gland?

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »

Aaron is a tool.  Couldn't get a job at Capps, got run out of Pathfinder.

Mountain bike. 50+ miles a week.  Commute in good weather.   Occasional Sidewalk rider.  No helmet. 

The Pathfinders got a few noobs that don't know crap. I have literally walked in with bike in hand and 180'd at the door when I saw who was working.  Bad history. I think maybe 1/5 workers there know their crap.  No one there does walk-in repair.  No thanks.  I'd rather do the work myself anyways.  Bikes are not complicated.  Plus, I'd rather have myself to blame if something goes wrong than someone else who I paid to eff my crap up. Only one or two people in town have earned my trust/respect.  None of them work at the Pathfinder which is too bad because I like Dave, the store manager there.  Big Poppi's has the best service/repair in MHK.  Aaron is a goddamn saint!

Anyone race?  Next event I'm hitting in KS is September 9th, I believe. http://www.unitedindirt.com/

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »
Bike brand snobs

Brooks saddle?

Brooks Swallow.

Easy. Just unbutton it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »
Bike brand snobs

Brooks saddle?

Brooks Swallow.

Easy. Just unbutton it.

um, that would be even worse.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2012, 12:29:46 AM »
Bike brand snobs

Brooks saddle?

Brooks Swallow.

Easy. Just unbutton it.

um, that would be even worse.

It was a joke about "pulling off" a cardigan.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012, 12:31:24 AM »
oh man. :shy:

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »
You do get that there is bike culture outside of hipsters right? Not saying that the bike culture created by fixed gears is fundamentally flawed or anything like that, but just because someone likes bikes doesn't automatically make them wear rolled up jeans and and deep v's. also: brooks does not belong to the hipster movement. Maybe you are just jaded by San fran?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »
You do get that there is bike culture outside of hipsters right? Not saying that the bike culture created by fixed gears is fundamentally flawed or anything like that, but just because someone likes bikes doesn't automatically make them wear rolled up jeans and and deep v's. also: brooks does not belong to the hipster movement. Maybe you are just jaded by San fran?

I don't think of cardigans as hipster-wear or a Brooks saddle as a hipster thing. I imagine you look very sharp on your bicycle, asava. Not like that sloppy annoying hipster on his fixie.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56:24 AM »

I don't think of cardigans as hipster-wear or a Brooks saddle as a hipster thing. I imagine you look very sharp on your bicycle, asava. Not like that sloppy annoying hipster on his fixie.

I wish I could wear cardigans on my commute. :(

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »
Looking into getting a road bike, for triathlon.  Is it better to try to get a cheap new bike, or find a used one of better brand?  I don't want to spend much over $800.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
Im thinking about doing the triathlon in mhk, asava thank you so much for volunteering your bike

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
Looking into getting a road bike, for triathlon.  Is it better to try to get a cheap new bike, or find a used one of better brand?  I don't want to spend much over $800.

for $800 you can get a far better lightly used bike than you could retail, unless you have access to a bike shop friend who is willing to give you his discount. and, actually, people regularly sell triathlon stuff for cheap on craigslist because so many people take on triathlons as a one time or short term goal.

Im thinking about doing the triathlon in mhk, asava thank you so much for volunteering your bike

i do have an extra pair of aero bars...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
I've rented a beach cruiser on, like, 8 different vacations.  only rented a geared bike on one vacation.  don't own a bike but enjoy riding them. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »

OK, now that I am work and have a little free time, you deserve to be slapped for this. I'm fully aware that non-hipsters. I mean seriously? I think it's all hipsters? Here are the classes I see regularly:

Fixie hipsters: Complete dangerous assholes - they cut in line at red lights and then try to run them if possible. eff these guys
young casual professionals: Public bikes are really popular with women in this category. the men like classic frame road bikes (this is what I pictured asava fitting into).
folding bikers: they have these obnoxious commuter folding bikes so they can take them on trains at busy times. they look like complete morons when they ride off. eff these guys and their dorky ways
middle aged parents: these people ride like a mile on bike lane roads to the train station and look like they're on a bike safari - packs on each side of the back wheel, neon safety vest, reflective strap for their pantleg, flashing light on helmet and backpack. Usually a big ass trek bike or something, lots of them with empty baby seats. HEY LOOK, DAD'S ON A BIKE.
weekenders: these guys are usually in their full suits and crazy expensive road bikes. they often drive to go to the highway they are riding their bike. Pretty good about traffic laws except for 4 way stops. (most bikes are bad, but these clowns are the worst).
mexicans: Usually riding a chrome kid's bike in the bike lane on the wrong side of the road

There are more, (especially black kids in East Oakland) but this is a pretty good summary.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »

OK, now that I am work and have a little free time, you deserve to be slapped for this. I'm fully aware that non-hipsters. I mean seriously? I think it's all hipsters? Here are the classes I see regularly:

Fixie hipsters: Complete dangerous assholes - they cut in line at red lights and then try to run them if possible. eff these guys
young casual professionals: Public bikes are really popular with women in this category. the men like classic frame road bikes (this is what I pictured asava fitting into).
folding bikers: they have these obnoxious commuter folding bikes so they can take them on trains at busy times. they look like complete morons when they ride off. eff these guys and their dorky ways
middle aged parents: these people ride like a mile on bike lane roads to the train station and look like they're on a bike safari - packs on each side of the back wheel, neon safety vest, reflective strap for their pantleg, flashing light on helmet and backpack. Usually a big ass trek bike or something, lots of them with empty baby seats. HEY LOOK, DAD'S ON A BIKE.
weekenders: these guys are usually in their full suits and crazy expensive road bikes. they often drive to go to the highway they are riding their bike. Pretty good about traffic laws except for 4 way stops. (most bikes are bad, but these clowns are the worst).
mexicans: Usually riding a chrome kid's bike in the bike lane on the wrong side of the road

There are more, (especially black kids in East Oakland) but this is a pretty good summary.

Pretty good description. But what about serious riders, do you not have any of those?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »

Pretty good description. But what about serious riders, do you not have any of those?

what do you mean by "serious"? I mean the people I described ride their bikes every day rain or shine here, for the most part.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2012, 11:38:17 AM »
I think I was just failing to realize you were only talking about commuter culture. In which case you are pretty spot on.

Offline the_ugly_clown

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »

Get fitted... than go with the bike that "fits" you the best.

Get more bike for your money going used... Cervelo p2 used for example if going for a tri bike.

But if not going to Tri forever, just get a decent road bike with good components.... its the machine not the bike that makes it run.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
I think I was just failing to realize you were only talking about commuter culture. In which case you are pretty spot on.

I was actually only talking about people who ride bikes in public.