Author Topic: Any cyclists?  (Read 106709 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #425 on: June 09, 2015, 05:48:48 AM »
Just bought a bike off craigslist, gonna ride that crap all around kc
What did you score?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 09, 2015, 05:52:28 AM »
Agreed on the Escape, but you can also check the Roam.  For Specialized the Crosstrail or Sirrus, assuming your MHK local, Big Poppi or Pathfinder respectively.  Pathfinder also dumped Trek, thread fyi.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 09, 2015, 07:07:34 AM »
Just bought a bike off craigslist, gonna ride that crap all around kc
What did you score?

Craigslist posting says Huffy 12 speed. I just wanted something cheap now that I'm close enough to the city that I really don't need a car for anything except work. It was $35 and looks like this:

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 09, 2015, 11:33:03 AM »
That looks like it's worth about that much.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 09, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
Can I get a decent commuter bike that I can also mess around with on some training for distance crap for around $500? My ride to school is short, so I dont need much comfort, but I'd also like to do a little training for the MS 150. It's sort of a goal of mine someday.

You could probably find something on CL that would suffice, but you'd have to know what to look for.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 09, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »
That looks like it's worth about that much.

That was a Google image search, but it will certainly work for me.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 09, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »
Can I get a decent commuter bike that I can also mess around with on some training for distance crap for around $500? My ride to school is short, so I dont need much comfort, but I'd also like to do a little training for the MS 150. It's sort of a goal of mine someday.

You could probably find something on CL that would suffice, but you'd have to know what to look for.

See, that's the thing--I don't know know what to look for.  What should I look for?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 09, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
let's do for spracne what fanning wouldn't allow us to do

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 09, 2015, 08:08:34 PM »
SundanceKid and I went out on a trail Sunday. A short hour ride. Windy and humid but not a bad ride. My bike is a hardrock specialized. It's decent but old. I probably should ride more.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 09, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »
One caveat is I don't want to buy it until after I move in early August. Otherwise, that sounds pretty swell.  :thumbsup: Although, I'm willing to pay extra to purchase it from an accountable entity (business). Althouuuuuuuugh, I'm sure the bicycle resale market is HOTHOTHOT in Austin around that time, too.  Man, decisions...

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 09, 2015, 11:44:20 PM »
You should see what kind of maintenance you get at a dealer. I have a lifetime warranty (on the frame and other stuff maybe?) and unlimited lifetime tuneups. Granted, I told them my rear derailleur was mumped up and they didn't fix it and I had to adjust it on my own after they worked on it, but it is still nice to have.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 10, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »
One caveat is I don't want to buy it until after I move in early August. Otherwise, that sounds pretty swell.  :thumbsup: Although, I'm willing to pay extra to purchase it from an accountable entity (business). Althouuuuuuuugh, I'm sure the bicycle resale market is HOTHOTHOT in Austin around that time, too.  Man, decisions...

Austin is a great secondary bike market. But also awful because people sometimes want insane prices for non-remarkable stuff. I motion to pass this bike search until July, wherein we will post awesome deals found on CL or otherwise around the Austin market.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #437 on: June 11, 2015, 07:09:25 AM »
I second that motion.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 11, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »
I move that you all take a selfie in your most outrageous kit - like do any of you have a Cookie Monster kit??

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #439 on: June 11, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »
I wear hi vis top and black shorts most rides.  I also have a KState Jersey for group rides. Nothing outrageous.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2015, 05:46:48 AM »
Spracs you might check with the local bike coops in Austin.  If you are really thinking used some of them might have people selling there.  The added advantage is you cand people to help you learn the maintenance of your bike. I know there are several nice bike stores around that area too.

I'm shocked Mich got a bike with unlimited tuneups.  Usually its just a year. 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 23, 2015, 01:47:56 PM »
Finishing up a refresh on my bike.  New cables all around, new crank, chain, and cassette.  Need to do more cleaning to get it up to standard.  I have a few nicks that I'm thinking of touching up with some nail polish or something.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 23, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
the nicks give it character, don't touch them up.

Free Adjustments Forever. Each bike purchase comes with lifetime adjustments. And we don't skimp, ether. We'll adjust your brakes & gears, laterally true your wheels, adjust your hubs & headset, and perform safety checks as long as the bike's yours. You pay parts and labor for installations and adjustments outside the scope of our complete tune-up - a $90 service.

Guaranteed for Life. We include a comprehensive lifetime warranty on every product we sell in our store, taking care of any installation and shipping costs. We'll also replace a defective purchase on-the-spot when we're able to.

:cool:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 23, 2015, 02:48:10 PM »
thats a really good deal, what shop is it?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 23, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
it's my local shop

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 23, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »
Finishing up a refresh on my bike.  New cables all around, new crank, chain, and cassette.  Need to do more cleaning to get it up to standard.  I have a few nicks that I'm thinking of touching up with some nail polish or something.

meh. unless they pose a threat via rust or structural integrity, I wouldn't worry about it until you are ready to do a full re-paint (if it's worth it).

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 24, 2015, 10:42:25 PM »
I just started "cycling." I got a new bike for Father's Day and have been riding the hell out of it.  My previous bike was a Specialized Rock Hopper that I bought a LONG time ago the summer before my freshman year of college.

My new one is a Cannondale hybrid.  I've been riding the Indian Creek trail in Joco, because I live near it.  I did 24 miles today.  It rides like a dream compared to my old Rockhopper.

I had been doing a lot of running, And my back was bothering me a bit.  The biking has been better for that.  I will probably still run a couple times a week, just to mix it up.

I like the new bike, but I already need to take it in to get the gears adjusted.  It also has this weird adjustable handle bar neck thing that needs to be tightened up, because it slowly slips out of position on long rides.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 25, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »
I just started "cycling." I got a new bike for Father's Day and have been riding the hell out of it.  My previous bike was a Specialized Rock Hopper that I bought a LONG time ago the summer before my freshman year of college.

My new one is a Cannondale hybrid.  I've been riding the Indian Creek trail in Joco, because I live near it.  I did 24 miles today.  It rides like a dream compared to my old Rockhopper.

I had been doing a lot of running, And my back was bothering me a bit.  The biking has been better for that.  I will probably still run a couple times a week, just to mix it up.

I like the new bike, but I already need to take it in to get the gears adjusted.  It also has this weird adjustable handle bar neck thing that needs to be tightened up, because it slowly slips out of position on long rides.

You should probably tighten that up.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 25, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »
or you could spend <$50 and get a nonadjustable one that fits properly and doesn't require maintenance /another option

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 25, 2015, 02:37:15 PM »

You should probably tighten that up.

I got it all tuned up.  It's way way tighter now.  Guy said that it shouldn't have been that loose in the first place. 

We'll see.  If it gets out of position easily again, I'll switch it out to a fixed position neck.  It's a cool idea though.  I can adjust while I am out on a ride and get a different angle and posture.