Author Topic: FEMA out of money...  (Read 9078 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: FEMA out of money...
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 10:48:05 PM »
but why can't we just have the Red Cross

I try to bite my tongue when I read your myriad of rough ridin' stupid posts, but this is just too much.  You can't be this rough ridin' stupid can you?  The Red Cross, in all of its bureaucratic glory, doesn't even serve the same purpose as FEMA.  This is like suggesting Planned Parenthood take over the CDC.  Hey while we're at it Doctors without Borders can take over for the FDA.  Great idea Pike!

You know there was a time when we didn't have FEMA and we were just fine?

The federal government has been involved with emergency management since 1803.  My god this was one of your worst posts ever and that says A LOT.

Free advise from SugarDick

Don't use words you don't know how to use when tearing someone down.  It makes you look like a foolish.

To recap you scolded me for using a word, you clearly don't know the meaning of, in the course of your attempted correction you mistook advice with advise.  That's middle school English, sugar dick.  My God you're dumb, an embarrassment to all other living beings.  You keep looking like a rough ridin' moron, I'll keep hoping that you cease to breathe.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:57:53 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 11:00:15 PM »
So let's get back to how awful FEMA was during Katrina, huh gang?   :excited:

Honestly haven't paid much attention to them lately.  Odds that they've learned from their mistakes and would do it better next time?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 11:21:31 PM »

I try to bite my tongue when I read your myriad of rough ridin' stupid posts, but this is just too much.  You can't be this rough ridin' stupid can you?  The Red Cross, in all of its bureaucratic glory, doesn't even serve the same purpose as FEMA.  This is like suggesting Planned Parenthood take over the CDC.  Hey while we're at it Doctors without Borders can take over for the FDA.  Great idea Pike!

The federal government has been involved with emergency management since 1803.  My god this was one of your worst posts ever and that says A LOT.

Ok, dumb eff, but you're missing the point. Everything the government touches they eff up, but you probably can't understand that since you're ok with and think it's necessary for them to be involved in every aspect of our lives. When in reality, the bureaucracy they have created around all aspects of society have just become money pits of ineptitude and inefficiency.

Once again the only hope for saving us, Ron Paul, is correct.

http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1907:were-from-the-government-were-here-to-help&catid=62:texas-straight-talk&Itemid=69

I very much understood your point and dissected what you said.  Did I change what you typed when I put them in quotes?  Let's forget that you proposed handing a government agency to a "not-for-profit" organization who only gave 30% of donated money for 9/11 to the actual victims, and some of the people who got money were multimillionaires.  Let's forget that same "not-for-profit" agency had a scandal so bad that it forced the director to resign and since they don't make a profit they only gave her a $1.5 million buyout.  I'm willing to forget your dumb ass, misinformed, opinion.  I mean it's from you, what else can be expected?

So forgetting all of that, you are of the opinion that emergency management worked so much better before the government got involved with it.  I can't and won't forget that you not only didn't take the time to see that the US government has been the only people to handle emergency management, but after I informed you of the fact you still went on your idiotic tangent that the government messed up emergency management.  Are you following this?  Did your mother drink when she was pregnant with you?  I'm going to explain this once more, read slow.

The government didn't eff up emergency management.  You have no point of reference as to how it's done other than how they do it.  Have they made mistakes, of course.  However, you can't say they ruined something that they and they alone have controlled for 200 years.  Tell me who did emergency management so well that the government put out of business?  Who ran emergency management so well 200 years ago that we're missing out on?

Don't bother with answers, I don't care about what bullshit you are going to spew.  Just keep gathering your bullets, water, powdered milk, and MREs for the day the government comes after us.  rough ridin' freak.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 11:28:17 PM »
:woot:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »

Ok, dumb eff, but you're missing the point. Everything the government touches they eff up, but you probably can't understand that since you're ok with and think it's necessary for them to be involved in every aspect of our lives. When in reality, the bureaucracy they have created around all aspects of society have just become money pits of ineptitude and inefficiency.

Once again the only hope for saving us, Ron Paul, is correct.

http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1907:were-from-the-government-were-here-to-help&catid=62:texas-straight-talk&Itemid=69

I very much understood your point and dissected what you said.  Did I change what you typed when I put them in quotes?  Let's forget that you proposed handing a government agency to a "not-for-profit" organization who only gave 30% of donated money for 9/11 to the actual victims, and some of the people who got money were multimillionaires.  Let's forget that same "not-for-profit" agency had a scandal so bad that it forced the director to resign and since they don't make a profit they only gave her a $1.5 million buyout.  I'm willing to forget your dumb ass, misinformed, opinion.  I mean it's from you, what else can be expected?

So forgetting all of that, you are of the opinion that emergency management worked so much better before the government got involved with it.  I can't and won't forget that you not only didn't take the time to see that the US government has been the only people to handle emergency management, but after I informed you of the fact you still went on your idiotic tangent that the government messed up emergency management.  Are you following this?  Did your mother drink when she was pregnant with you?  I'm going to explain this once more, read slow.

The government didn't eff up emergency management.  You have no point of reference as to how it's done other than how they do it.  Have they made mistakes, of course.  However, you can't say they ruined something that they and they alone have controlled for 200 years.  Tell me who did emergency management so well that the government put out of business?  Who ran emergency management so well 200 years ago that we're missing out on?

Don't bother with answers, I don't care about what bullshit you are going to spew.  Just keep gathering your bullets, water, powdered milk, and MREs for the day the government comes after us.  rough ridin' freak.

Ok well, Tap out noted.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 12:30:14 AM »
I don't see why people get so upset about this?

FEMA doesn't rough ridin' work. It's that simple. You wouldn't keep dumping money into a pick up truck that flew off a cliff in order to fix it.

Oh wait, yes, you would since libtards like yourself somehow believe that throwing more money at something and trusting the "good will" of the government will somehow make things better.

Only complete idiots think this way, and the writing is on the wall: The Government Fucks up Everything it Touches. Maybe the government did do it better pre-FEMA...but FEMA is still here, and completely sucks ass at what they do. Like the rest of the government.

Just ask:

The war on drugs
The war on poverty
The USPS
TARP
The war on terror
Vietnam
Social security
Prohibition (see war on drugs)
and soon to be: health care

among others

But I guess if we don't mind wasting trillions of trillions of dollars, than none of this matters.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »

FEMA doesn't rough ridin' work. It's that simple. You wouldn't keep dumping money into a pick up truck that flew off a cliff in order to fix it.

Oh wait, yes, you would since libtards like yourself somehow believe that throwing more money at something and trusting the "good will" of the government will somehow make things better.

Only complete idiots think this way, and the writing is on the wall: The Government Fucks up Everything it Touches. Maybe the government did do it better pre-FEMA...but FEMA is still here, and completely sucks ass at what they do. Like the rest of the government.

Just ask:

The war on drugs
The war on poverty
The USPS This is actually a very good service. It is much better than Fed Ex, and on par with UPS.
TARP
The war on terror
Vietnam
Social security
and soon to be: health care LOL at the notion that our health care system could possibly be "ruined" at this point.

among others

But I guess if we don't mind wasting trillions of trillions of dollars, than none of this matters.

The idea behind FEMA is to mitigate disasters before they happen. FEMA identifies areas that are at high risk for floods and other disasters and publishes that data. This is why you cannot buy land in a flood plain and not pay for flood insurance if you have a mortgage. They also create models for city leaders to develop plans in case of floods, earthquakes, and hurricanes. They subsidize the cost of cities developing emergency plans to minimize casualties and damage. FEMA works very well with cities that work with FEMA. I guess I'm just not sure what you are saying the government did better pre-FEMA.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »

Just ask:

The war on drugs
The war on poverty
The USPS This is actually a very good service. It is much better than Fed Ex, and on par with UPS.
TARP
The war on terror
Vietnam
Social security
and soon to be: health care LOL at the notion that our health care system could possibly be "ruined" at this point.

among others

The idea behind FEMA is to mitigate disasters before they happen. FEMA identifies areas that are at high risk for floods and other disasters and publishes that data. This is why you cannot buy land in a flood plain and not pay for flood insurance if you have a mortgage. They also create models for city leaders to develop plans in case of floods, earthquakes, and hurricanes. They subsidize the cost of cities developing emergency plans to minimize casualties and damage. FEMA works very well with cities that work with FEMA. I guess I'm just not sure what you are saying the government did better pre-FEMA.

IDK. I didn't bring it up. METH head did. But FEMA sucks so hard that there's no way the gov was any worse at it.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »
Good old Pike. He has no idea what FEMA actually does on a day-to-day basis, but he's sure they suck at it because hur derp government.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »
Good old Pike. He has no idea what FEMA actually does on a day-to-day basis, but he's sure they suck at it because hur derp government.

So we should just sustain as many government programs as possible, even though they lose money?

Jesus Christ  :facepalm:

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »

So we should just sustain as many government programs as possible, even though they lose money?

Pike is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). Confirmed.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »

Pike is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). Confirmed.

:flush:

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
Come on Pike, surely you can link to an article that you don't understand and claim it means the exact opposite of what it actually says again. You don't need to tap out like this.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »

I guess I'm just not sure why we should care about an emergency management program not making money. How are they supposed to make money, again?

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »

I guess I'm just not sure why we should care about an emergency management program not making money. How are they supposed to make money, again?

I'd love to see Pike running a business. After the first week the only department left would be sales. "All the other departments weren't making money, they had to go."

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »

I'd love to see Pike running a business. After the first week the only department left would be sales. "All the other departments weren't making money, they had to go."

Well, I wouldn't certainly wouldn't throw billions of dollars at incompetent retards to piss the money away through a ridiculous bureaucracy, especially if I had no money to begin with.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
So where's FEMA pissing its money away Pike?

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »
So where's FEMA pissing its money away Pike?

Here's a good example from 2006.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/us/06fraud.html

WASHINGTON, Dec. 5 — The Federal Emergency Management Agency has recouped less than 1 percent of an estimated $1 billion in fraudulent or unjustified payments it distributed after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, a new report by Congressional investigators says.

At the same time, the agency continued to wrongly send out millions of dollars of new aid this year, including $17 million in rental assistance to families living rent-free in FEMA trailers, the Government Accountability Office report says.

The auditors’ findings, set to be released on Wednesday, demonstrate how the agency has remained open to criticism from advocates for evacuees as being too stingy with people who have real needs, and to criticism from auditors as being too willing to give taxpayer dollars to scam artists and cheats.

Just last week, a federal judge ordered the agency to restore housing assistance and pay back rent to thousands of Hurricane Katrina evacuees who had been deemed ineligible for long-term housing aid.

Yet the new report by the Congressional investigators said that, in addition to the rental aid given to more than 8,600 victims living in trailers rent-free, the agency distributed $20 million to people who registered for both hurricanes, meaning they received double payments for rent and other emergency aid.

The investigators also recently determined that the agency gave at least $3 million to more than 500 foreign students or other foreigners in the United States on work visas even though federal law specifically prohibits such aid.

“FEMA has much work to do before we can be confident that it is providing assistance to those who are eligible and who need it, while denying it to those who do not,” said Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut. Mr. Lieberman is the ranking Democrat on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, which has scheduled a hearing for Wednesday on Hurricane Katrina-related fraud and abuse.

The agency’s officials on Tuesday said they had not yet seen the new report and would not comment in detail until they had. But they acknowledged the serious flaws in distribution of financial aid after the hurricanes. A copy of the report was given to The New York Times.

“The stringent controls instituted this past year by FEMA will dramatically improve safeguards and help eliminate processing errors and fraudulent abuse,” Pat Philbin, an agency spokesman, said in a written statement.

But the Government Accountability Office report made it clear that the inappropriate payments continued into this year. For example, 10 residents of an apartment complex in Plano, Tex., collected $46,000 in rental assistance from FEMA through June, even though the City of Plano was paying their rent, with money from the federal agency.

FEMA estimates that of the $7 billion in emergency aid given out to individuals and families after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, about $290 million was unjustified. But based on more than a year of spot-checking applications, Congressional auditors said they believed the federal agency was grossly underestimating the figure, and that a more accurate amount would be at least $1 billion.

That would include money that went to thousands of inmates and people who used falsified Social Security numbers or submitted applications for phantom homes, all cases turned up by the investigators.

FEMA has recouped about $7.5 million of these inappropriate payments, an agency official said Tuesday, and he estimated that an additional $8.1 million was on the way.

Senator Susan Collins, Republican of Maine, chairwoman of the Homeland Security Committee, said the small percentage of money recouped showed how important it was for the agency to improve how it screened applications for disaster aid.

“Once the money is out the door, it is very difficult for it to be recovered,” Ms. Collins said.

At the time Hurricanes Katrina and Rita hit, the agency had systems in place to prevent fraud, including a computer program that looked for applications with the same Social Security number. But officials said they turned the system off, claiming that they were worried it might prevent legitimate victims from getting help, the report said.

That is why, for example, the 7,600 individuals had been able to collect $20 million in emergency aid for properties supposedly hit by both storms, the report said.

Ms. Collins said she did not accept the assertion that the agency could not figure out how to distribute emergency assistance quickly while preventing widespread waste and fraud.

“It’s a false choice,” she said.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
And that's from your "Big government" newspaper, too.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 11:46:41 AM »
I have no problem with simply eliminating the ability for FEMA to give money to people who suffer from disasters as relief. The program as a whole serves a greater, much more important mission.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011, 12:12:28 PM »
So Pike, got anything more recent. You know like since FEMA got a director that had actual emergency management experience.

I mean $1 billion is a lot, but it also came more than 5 years ago and after one of the worst natural disasters to hit the U.S. that displaced people across a wide geographic area. crap is going to happen in instances like that. How much more money should we spend tracking down what amounts to a few pennies?

I can think of one private industry off the top of my head that loses billions in fraud a year and continues to allow it despite the technology being available to stop it. I wonder why it's still going on?

Also, you should be able to find tons of day-to-day abuses of the system since they're just pissing money away. I mean all those grants for fire trucks, ambulances, first responder training etc. The standardizing of radio equipment for first responders and all the other crap FEMA does on a daily basis that you don't know about because you're too rough ridin' lazy to do any actual research before just spouting off "Government Bad".

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »
Some communities in Alabama rejected FEMA assistance after the tornado rampage this past spring. They're not too keen on allowing lousy bureaucrats telling them how to live their lives.

And others were denied FEMA aid, even when their homes were ripped off their foundations. I suppose such a thing is expected when the American people are conditioned to have the government come and save them. Thank god for our brave, patriotic, noble leaders looking out for our best interests. Constantly providing new hope and change for the betterment of society.

It's too much of a cluster eff.

EDIT: Why can't we use the national guard for disaster relief? Or instead of immoral wars against people that aren't threats to us, we could use our military industrial complex?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:53:08 PM by pike »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »
Some communities in Alabama rejected FEMA assistance after the tornado rampage this past spring. They're not too keen on allowing lousy bureaucrats telling them how to live their lives.

And others were denied FEMA aid, even when their homes were ripped off their foundations. I suppose such a thing is expected when the American people are conditioned to have the government come and save them. Thank god for our brave, patriotic, noble leaders looking out for our best interests. Constantly providing new hope and change for the betterment of society.

EDIT: Why can't we use the national guard for disaster relief? Or instead of immoral wars against people that aren't threats to us, we could use our military industrial complex?

I don't think FEMA should be giving aid to anybody. That's not really the point of FEMA.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »

Going to need a link on the firs claim, unless  you're talking about the dumbass mayor that didn't want FEMA trailers in his beautiful city.

And I realize I'm going to take a lot of time pointing this out and you won't comprehend it, but here goes: FEMA has taken up the practice that several insurance companies use -- deny the initial claim/request. This started as a direct result of the previous article you posted. This was the government's response to people like you bitching about the fraud that occurred during Katrina.

Private companies just assume there's going to be a certain amount of theft/fraud and live with it. The credit card industry has the tools and technology to eliminate 99 percent of credit card fraud, which costs the industry billions each year, yet very little of it has been implemented. Now I wonder why that is? Maybe because they've discovered its more cost efficient to keep their product simple to use and just eat the fraud costs.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 06:27:52 PM »

Free advice from SugarDick

Don't use words you don't know how to use when tearing someone down.  It makes you look like a foolish.

To recap you scolded me for using a word, you clearly don't know the meaning of, in the course of your attempted correction you mistook advice with advise.  That's middle school English, sugar dick.  My God you're dumb, an embarrassment to all other living beings.  You keep looking like a rough ridin' moron, I'll keep hoping that you cease to breathe.

Take the word "of" out of your pathetic slam and you'd be using the word correctly, dumbass.  Your use of "of" in that context is superfluous, idiot.  You basically said, " . . . [many/thousands/countless] of rough ridin' stupid posts.", when you meant to say, ". . . [many/thousands/countless] rough ridin' stupid posts."  Ergo, you sound like a dipshit.  Take my free advice.  Google can't save you on this one.

Some more free advice, insults are more effective when set up with factual misgivings of the insultee.  Basically, you have message board turrets.    :comeatme:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd