Author Topic: Bowl Projections  (Read 337692 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Bowl Projections
« Reply #1150 on: December 22, 2016, 10:41:58 AM »
I mean, it's the Sun Bowl

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 22, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »
The playoff is not what made the Sun Bowl irrelevant

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 22, 2016, 10:48:17 AM »
BUT IT'S IN EL PASO!!!

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 22, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »
This.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 22, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
Coaches, fans, and administrators aren't making decisions with these player's best interests at heart.  They need to look out for themselves and kudos to these guys for doing it.  Maybe this will help kill off some of the 41 bowl games and make bowls great again.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: December 22, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »
Coaches, fans, and administrators aren't making decisions with these player's best interests at heart.  They need to look out for themselves and kudos to these guys for doing it.  Maybe this will help kill off some of the 41 bowl games and make bowls great again.
or "Make America Great Again"
You hit it on the nail head.  Why are all these crappy schools playing in irreverent bowls.  Like the great Chingon says, crappy schools like K-State who only win against other crappy schools have no business being in "Bowl Games".  Only undefeated or "great schools" deserve to be in "Bowl Games".   :ROFL:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 22, 2016, 03:05:45 PM »
what makes bowl games any more or less meaningful than any other game on the schedule? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 22, 2016, 03:07:09 PM »
what makes bowl games any more or less meaningful than any other game on the schedule?
:kstategrad:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 22, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »
you have me backwards, kslim.  i'm saying that people dismissing bowl games as "meaningless" imply that there's some "meaning" in the other 99% of CFB games without any national title implications.

bowl games count.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 22, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »
slow down kid, i never said they didnt

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 22, 2016, 03:19:53 PM »

They're college football-ish.  Weeks (a month?) after the regular season wraps up, travel to up to a week before the game and half-practice, half-activity once there, hope you don't have too many significant players suspended for any number of reasons that pop up in December.  Other than playing a different team, they're more like a spring game than a regular season game.

Under any postseason system, I've thought bowl games are a silly data point to judge football teams on.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 22, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »
slow down kid, i never said they didnt
I know.  My original question wasn't directed toward you or anyone in particular.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 22, 2016, 03:49:10 PM »

They're college football-ish.  Weeks (a month?) after the regular season wraps up, travel to up to a week before the game and half-practice, half-activity once there, hope you don't have too many significant players suspended for any number of reasons that pop up in December.  Other than playing a different team, they're more like a spring game than a regular season game.

Under any postseason system, I've thought bowl games are a silly data point to judge football teams on.
Meh, difference of opinion I guess.  But they count on your record.  Spring games don't (KU's 2012 spring game notwithstanding).  People don't drive a thousand miles to attend a spring game. 

I understand Bill doesn't treat the bowl games very seriously, but I think he's an bad person for that.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 22, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »

Meh, difference of opinion I guess.  But they count on your record.  Spring games don't (KU's 2012 spring game notwithstanding).  People don't drive a thousand miles to attend a spring game. 

I understand Bill doesn't treat the bowl games very seriously, but I think he's an bad person for that.

Bill doesn't treat bowl games seriously? Do tell.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 22, 2016, 04:04:18 PM »

Yeah, they're meaningful in that they get included in a season record.  But I see through teams bragging up a "10-win season" or whatever the W number is as if that means the same as it used to, when teams are now playing 12 regular season games + 1-2 postseason games.  Kind of like talking up being a "bowl team" or a "20-win" hoops team.

I'm talking more about how the bowl game reflects on how good a team was during that season, so I guess I'm implying maybe they shouldn't count in the team's season record.  They're just too different from how all the other games are conducted to be an accurate reflection of anything.

Of course many more people attend them than a spring game, and they're meaningful to those people who have them as a part of their holiday and/or family vacation.  But as to the on-field product, lots of similarities - a somewhat distinct 3-week practice session, a focus during the practice on younger players and longer-term future production and much more off-the-field activity surrounding the "game" than in any regular season contest.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 22, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »
All of these players so far have been RB's

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/812056140729163776

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 22, 2016, 10:57:50 PM »
All of these players so far have been RB's

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/812056140729163776

I don't mind, especially at the RB position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 22, 2016, 10:58:24 PM »
I agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 23, 2016, 09:40:30 PM »
I happened to notice that Mike from Ft. Collin's team got spanked by a team leaving the FBS in some Potato bowl.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 24, 2016, 04:38:45 PM »
Those gifts tho
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: January 02, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
Garrett announced he is turning pro. Explains his less than enthused effort in the Texas Bowl. He melted with every double team -- which was almost the entire game from what I recall.

If I'm a RB prospect, no way I am playing in some pud bowl game. At the DE, in the Garrett case, you can at least avoid injury fairly easily while playing.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: January 02, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »
Tennessee's DE Derek Barnett seems like he would be better than Myles Garrett imho. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: January 02, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »
A lot of Garrett's stats seemed to be piled up against terrible teams.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: January 02, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »
He's still battling to be the top pick in the draft. He didn't take a dive on that game. He just got his ass handled. Good grief.

The Big Train

« Reply #1174 on: January 02, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
If I was a NFL GM I would pass on him in the first round after watching that game. You can't handle a bunch of 2/3 stars double teaming you it's not gonna be good when grown ass NFL guys do.