Author Topic: Insidery KU fan info...  (Read 8002 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Insidery KU fan info...
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »
samuels > kelly by a long shot as tia/imo.  kelly could be really good too but hates contact (soft).

I'm with you on this.  Samuels draws contact, gets to the line, and finishes (needs more work on FTs but he's improving).  Has pretty good range too.  I think Frank is training him to be the vocal team leader once Pullen leaves.

How do you figure his FTs are improving?

Looks like I may of have made that part up  :dunno: .  Maybe I just don't seem to cringe as much when hes at the line because they are less crucial in some of our games.

FYP, bro.   :cool:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »
Jamar's improvement is all about him not taking himself out of games mentally after making a few mistakes or not getting a few foul calls. The kid was toast last year if that happened. Now he can go 0-4 from the line to start a road game and still end up getting 16 and 11 for the night all while being touted as 6th man of the year.

Mental diff is huge from last year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »
Jamar's improvement is all about him not taking himself out of games mentally after making a few mistakes or not getting a few foul calls. The kid was toast last year if that happened. Now he can go 0-4 from the line to start a road game and still end up getting 16 and 11 for the night all while being touted as 6th man of the year.

Great point.  For a large portion of the game Jamar was not playing great at all.  And his plus/minus and RR numbers from the game were pretty poor.  But he really finished strong to help seal the game and end up with really good numbers.

One of the differences in particular was forcing some shots and not trying to back people down like he did vs OU.  Jamar is at his most frustrating when he forces runners/jumpers from 10 feet or so, and he did that several times at Tech.  He is at his best when he catches near the basket and finishes, backs someone down to within 5 feet, gets tips off of ORB, or shoots an open jump shot.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:55 AM »

Great point.  For a large portion of the game Jamar was not playing great at all.  And his plus/minus and RR numbers from the game were pretty poor.  But he really finished strong to help seal the game and end up with really good numbers.

One of the differences in particular was forcing some shots and not trying to back people down like he did vs OU.  Jamar is at his most frustrating when he forces runners/jumpers from 10 feet or so, and he did that several times at Tech.  He is at his best when he catches near the basket and finishes, backs someone down to within 5 feet, gets tips off of ORB, or shoots an open jump shot.

Adding on to this, is anyone else frustrated how he and a few other players miss dead layups because they are expecting to get mauled by the defensive player?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »
Somewhat an issue with the Big 12 as a whole. Such a physical league. So much allowed contact with each shot near the rim.

I can actually understand this to a point.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 10:42:58 AM »

Adding on to this, is anyone else frustrated how he and a few other players miss dead layups because they are expecting to get mauled by the defensive player?
no.  our guys (minus pullen and clemsies) take it to the rack pretty rough ridin' strong. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Kaiser Soze

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »

no.  our guys (minus pullen and clemsies) take it to the rack pretty fracking strong. 

Do you even watch the games?  Jake doesn't take it to the rack strong?  CK is soft?  Really??

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 11:30:46 AM »

no.  our guys (minus pullen and clemsies) take it to the rack pretty fracking strong. 

Exactly.  Sometimes too strong to where they miss a dead layup because they are expecting to get smacked.  This happens at least twice a game.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 12:07:25 PM »

Do you even watch the games?  Jake doesn't take it to the rack strong?  CK is soft?  Really??
yes i do.  apparently you're just a dumbass. but that's ok.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bleedpurple

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »

He takes it strong, but when you're 6' 180 compared to 6-8, 6-9 and 220-230 lbs. it doesn't always look like it. I don't know how many guys that small that can just obsorb that kind of contact and finish. Even fat @$$ sherron falls down 8 times a game taking it to the land and hes like 280.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 12:45:58 PM »

He takes it strong, but when you're 6' 180 compared to 6-8, 6-9 and 220-230 lbs. it doesn't always look like it. I don't know how many guys that small that can just obsorb that kind of contact and finish. Even fat @$$ sherron falls down 8 times a game taking it to the land and hes like 280.

collins initiates contact, pullen avoids it. 

Offline bleedpurple

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »

If that is what you believe then there is no arguing. I do not agree though. Pullen has had numerous traditional 3 point plays this season, NUMEROUS.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »

Not going to argue with you, but you're wrong.

Offline RTB

• Fan
  • Caaats!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »

Dude, I don't understand why you think the whole team is soft. If you've read or heard anything opposing coaches say about our team as a whole, you would know we may be one of the toughest teams in the country.

Because one time you saw pullen not "initiate" contact doesn't mean it's like that all the time?? The man gets And 1's all the time. . . .
Frank Martin- "I used to teach math in HS but didn't scream as much because nobody was keeping score."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »

Dude, I don't understand why you think the whole team is soft. If you've read or heard anything opposing coaches say about our team as a whole, you would know we may be one of the toughest teams in the country.

Because one time you saw pullen not "initiate" contact doesn't mean it's like that all the time?? The man gets And 1's all the time. . . .
I didn't say the whole team is soft.   

you're wrong

Offline Kaiser Soze

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »

you're wrong

I'm new around here so I may be reading this wrong.  Is clams this boards version of a hoops Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)?

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »

Pullen is built like a guard. Collins is built like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

You're also wrong about Pullen avoiding contact.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 02:12:02 PM »

you're wrong

I'm new around here so I may be reading this wrong.  Is clams this boards version of a hoops Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)?
you're new here?  where've you been?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »

Pullen is built like a guard. Collins is built like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

ya i probably am, he doesn't necessarily avoid contact, you're right.  there's just not much he can do about it when there is contact, other than to fall on the floor and hope for a whistle. 

collins is built like a beast, obviously I'd take a player his size that can manage to also have his skillset any day of the week.  the marshmellow man stuff is just "i hate ku" crap.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »

ya i probably am, he doesn't necessarily avoid contact, you're right.  there's just not much he can do about it when there is contact, other than to fall on the floor and hope for a whistle.  

When the whistles come as often as they have for him this year, there's nothing wrong with that.

But yes, any sane EMAW would take a guard built like Collins.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:26:41 PM by SleepFighter »

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »

ya i probably am, he doesn't necessarily avoid contact, you're right.  there's just not much he can do about it when there is contact, other than to fall on the floor and hope for a whistle. 

collins is built like a beast, obviously I'd take a player his size that can manage to also have his skillset any day of the week.  the marshmellow man stuff is just "i hate ku" crap.

Pullz doesn't go to the basket hoping to get bailed out by a foul call.  He wants to make the shot.  He avoids contact to get a better shot but not just to avoid contact.  Completely acceptable, imo.
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »

I meant Collins was thick, not that he wasn't strong or something.