Author Topic: This manufactured charade is to simply undermine the President  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
The vote to have higher expenditures than tax revenues is - in effect - a vote to borrow money to cover the difference.
And in the United States, Congress - including Republicans - voted for a budget in which expenditures exceeded tax revenues.
The logical consequence of that budget - again, passed by Republicans and Democrats, is that the government has to make up the difference by borrowing.
To come at it now after the budget has been passed is like getting your Visa bill and calling up the company to say, "Actually we don't want to buy all that stuff we bought." That's not how it works. First you pay the bill, then you can change your spending habits.

The same House that appropriated the funds...is now saying they don't want to pay them. And yet, its the President being irresponsible? Shameful game of poker that Boehner and his little list of Norquist nut swingers are playing..and we're the chips.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: This manufactured charade is to simply undermine the President
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:22:29 AM »
r's, d's, tp's, they are all complete morons.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:39:58 AM »
Someone else apparently read Farheed Zarkaria's article this morning.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »

I actually think the Dems are doing a better job positioning throughout this phony charade (created by all in govt.) than repubs.

Repubs present a plan, senate kills it and obama threatens to veto.  rinse and repeat

Dems and B.O. accuse repubs of refusing to compromise to the point that repubs go too far in favor of dems losing the conservative vote.  Repubs look divided, dems didn't propose anything but reject repub plans, dems win.

Dems appear to hold the keys here.  Yet when the car won't start its the repubs fault.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »
Dems appear to hold the keys here.  Yet when the car won't start its the repubs fault.

It appears that the Republicans can't get their own house in order to the point where they can pass a vote that's going to get voted down in the Senate sight-on-seen.

This has turned into tri-partisan politics.  Democrats, the Republicans, and the Tea Party.  I have no doubt that after the first bill was shot down, typical Republicans could have put a deal together that would have gotten past the House with relative ease and probably would have been tweaked in the Senate and then re-ratified by the House.  However, the process is now being stalled for things like a Balanced Budged Amendment that has no prayer of ever getting ratified.

This is standard process.  Bill gets passed by the House, gets shot down by the Senate, goes back to the House, goes back to the Senate, etc.  In this case, the bill got shot down by the Senate, and now we can't get it back through the House because a certain segment of the Republican party is living in Neverneverland.

Wasting days debating a proposal that's going to get killed in the Senate as soon as it gets there, especially when the consequences are so severe, is just mystifying.  Send something to the Senate so we can just start tweaking that and get it through.  But we've stalled for days because the House Republicans can't even get enough votes together to pass a dead bill.  I mean...WTF?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »

It appears that the Republicans can't get their own house in order to the point where they can pass a vote that's going to get voted down in the Senate sight-on-seen.

This has turned into tri-partisan politics.  Democrats, the Republicans, and the Tea Party.  I have no doubt that after the first bill was shot down, typical Republicans could have put a deal together that would have gotten past the House with relative ease and probably would have been tweaked in the Senate and then re-ratified by the House.  However, the process is now being stalled for things like a Balanced Budged Amendment that has no prayer of ever getting ratified.

This is standard process.  Bill gets passed by the House, gets shot down by the Senate, goes back to the House, goes back to the Senate, etc.  In this case, the bill got shot down by the Senate, and now we can't get it back through the House because a certain segment of the Republican party is living in Neverneverland.

Wasting days debating a proposal that's going to get killed in the Senate as soon as it gets there, especially when the consequences are so severe, is just mystifying.  Send something to the Senate so we can just start tweaking that and get it through.  But we've stalled for days because the House Republicans can't even get enough votes together to pass a dead bill.  I mean...WTF?

I think you've got it right for the most part.  However, why is the Senate allowed to push a bill to the House that has no chance of passing, but when the House does the same thing it's "WTF"?

The reality is there are a lot of congressmen elected to not just stop govt growth but to actually shrink it.  These bills to neither, so in fact the "tea party" is compromising.  The people who refuse to acknowledge the existence of the tea party are the ones living in neverneverland.

What's the fear of putting a balanced budget amendment to the states?  That it actually might get passed?  I doubt 33 states would ratify it, but in any event GOD FORBID THE STATES HAVE A SAY IN THIS.

The real problem is the dems want to punt this until 2013 and the repubs won't let them.  That's the only thing holding this process up.  It's all about the rough ridin' 2012 elections.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
It's all about the effing 2012 elections.

hence the tea party showboating.