Author Topic: Has the winning attitude permanently changed?  (Read 4351 times)

Bookcat

Has the winning attitude permanently changed?
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:57:32 AM »
have we shed our loser ways? choking? SLTH'ness?

If we lose Frank will that return or can we continue to stay above the bottom tier of the league?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Has the winning attitude permanently changed?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »
I've never had loser ways.  You haven't shed them, though.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »
We win because we have players. Good coaching plays a part in it, but you need players first. As long as we have players we can win.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »
Money brings good coaches.  Money keeps good coaches. 

Not everybody gets a gift dropped off at their doorstep.  Huggins was the gift giver in this circumstance.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:10:17 AM »
the way i look at it.... As quickly as it came, as quickly it could go.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »
We win because we have players. Good coaching plays a part in it, but you need players first. As long as we have players we can win.

I'm not disagreeing, but Jim Woolridge would be 6-10 with this team.  true story.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »

I'm not disagreeing, but Jim Woolridge would be 6-10 with this team.  true story.

philosophy and style of play have a lot to do with it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:17:27 AM »

philosophy and style of play have a lot to do with it.

And their willing to "BRING IT" -Tony Horton
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »
have we shed our loser ways? choking? SLTH'ness?

If we lose Frank will that return or can we continue to stay above the bottom tier of the league?

There is no way to know.  Its so dependent on the coach, the attitude he brings, the type of players he recruits, etc.  We could easily slip back, a few good years guarantees nothing if you don't keep the coach in place that is getting it done. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »
Bookcat, yes.  We will be good forever now.  CHECK!

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »
If winning were insured we would have never started to suck.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 11:16:21 AM »
good thread on gpc with a poster claiming insider info (he's some sort of bigshotattorneycat) that currie has met what he thought were martin's contract demands, but martin won't sign.  the gpc bsac says that currie is mad because he's scared.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 12:28:46 PM »
good thread on gpc with a poster claiming insider info (he's some sort of bigshotattorneycat) that currie has met what he thought were martin's contract demands, but martin won't sign.  the gpc bsac says that currie is mad because he's scared.

That's just RKatz being RKatz.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »

You've spoken with him?  You should.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »
I think it's safe to say that K-State has arrived.  As long as you guys keep Martin and his coaching staff, you're in good shape.  A few years ago I could only dream about the day when two top five teams from the state of Kansas were set to do battle in March.  These are good times for all the local schools (K-State, Mizzou, and Kansas).  Cherish it, because it can disappear in the blink of an eye. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »
I think it's safe to say that K-State has arrived.  As long as you guys keep Martin and his coaching staff, you're in good shape.  A few years ago I could only dream about the day when two top five teams from the state of Kansas were set to do battle in March.  These are good times for all the local schools (K-State, Mizzou, and Kansas).  Cherish it, because it can disappear in the blink of an eye. 

the fact that this game is on the big 12 network is a rough ridin' joke.
- chunkles

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 06:44:32 PM »

the fact that this game is on the big 12 network is a fracking joke.

It's a complete joke.  The first matchup between KU and K-State this year was an all-time classic.  If it were Duke/UNC, we'd be watching commercials on ESPN for a month straight. 

Offline Thread Killer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 07:01:01 PM »

Doubtful...Wooly was able to get a couple 6 wins seasons when the best player on the court was Frank Richards..

Having good players is 90% of it...but obviously it takes coaches to get those players to campus, 'Te

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »

pshaw.  whose word do you think i'm going to take?  some sort of bigshotattorney cat or some random michigan cat?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »
OT: Winning is pretty fun.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »

Doubtful...Wooly was able to get a couple 6 wins seasons when the best player on the court was Frank Richards..

Having good players is 90% of it...but obviously it takes coaches to get those players to campus, 'Te

Getting 6 wins isn't hard when you have other Nortards.  You want to see the difference in good coaching, go from Wooly's last year to Hugg's first.  In about 6 games in conference, we were 5 points away from winning.  Potentially 12-4 if we make every play down the stretch (not going to happen for any coach but still). 

Down the stretch Wooly would get the ball to our best player, Cartier (an obvious coaching move).  The problem is that Wooly didn't know how to put him in a spot to succeed.  It was get the ball to Cartier and have him find his shot (not his strength at all).  I remember countless times where Cartier would try to dribble-drive and lose the ball because that was not his strength. 

The next year, Huggs is coaching us in the CTR.  Tie ball game, about a minute to go and we are coming out of a timeout.  Huggs draws up an actual play (surprising SLTHy schemey coach like Wooly couldnt do this).  This play works to our strengths.  Hoskins gets the ball and drive to the basket (a strength of his), drawing Cartier's defender off to help.  Then Hoskins kicks it back to Cartier for a set shot which is exactly his strength.

This is why, IMO, Wooly gets 8 conf wins with this team tops.