Author Topic: Rick Barnes is a monster.  (Read 15021 times)

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Rick Barnes is a monster.
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Barnes is a monster.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »
Who the eff is jordan hamilton

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:17:20 PM »
Parody post?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:30 PM »
UT has to be super embarassed that their second pick went that low.  I mean, seriously, no picks in the top 5?!  WTF?  Barnes needs to be fired.

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 01:48:45 AM »
Barnes taking a page from the Massa Seff playbook

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Rick Barnes is a monster.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 06:11:41 AM »
Barnes is the anti self. He will do anything to get his guys to the league asap. He is a saint.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:04 AM »
Quote from: Rick Barnes
"We would love to win a national championship, but we're not obsessed with it because we're obsessed with these guys trying to live their NBA dream. What's happened to Kevin Durant, LaMarcus Aldridge, T.J. Ford -- I'd give up a national title for all of our guys to be able to live their dream."

This quote is so genius
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline kcnut

• The CEO of the Brad Essex Report and cont. writer for red state I also hate oklahoma so very much.
  • Combo-Fan
  • hail to the king.
    • View Profile
    • The Brad Essex Report
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »
 Rick Barnes sucks. Texas sucks as a supposed rival. It's like we go to their house and slap the dick out of their mouth.  :combofan:
LHC Bill Snyder is as american as you can get.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
good point brad

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »
that's just crazy. why would Barnes need to hurt a players draft stock to try and get them to stay another year? he just reloads on the recruiting trail, it's not like he has to be afraid of having a bad team if a highly ranked recruit leaves early.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »
UT has to be super embarassed that their second pick went that low.  I mean, seriously, no picks in the top 5?!  WTF?  Barnes needs to be fired.

Seriously, when you cannot get yourself into the Sweet 16 with what is arguably the most talented roster in the country, outside of a few other programs, getting players picked in the top 5 is the only way to prove your worth.

ShaggyBevo has a few quality threads regarding them being stuck with Barnes. His teams don't perform in the tourney consistently, but he still dominates the conference for the most part. UT folks seem generally sad about it, although the sad part is that they are so arrogant to think that their program could improve by firing Barnes.

Personally, I'd say Barnes is top 3 coach in the conference.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »

Seriously, when you cannot get yourself into the Sweet 16 with what is arguably the most talented roster in the country, outside of a few other programs, getting players picked in the top 5 is the only way to prove your worth.

ShaggyBevo has a few quality threads regarding them being stuck with Barnes. His teams don't perform in the tourney consistently, but he still dominates the conference for the most part. UT folks seem generally sad about it, although the sad part is that they are so arrogant to think that their program could improve by firing Barnes.

Personally, I'd say Barnes is top 3 coach in the conference.

Barnes is a solid #2. He would be #1 if Self didn't have that one national championship.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
barnes & martin sacrifices W's for the good of their players.  it hurts sometimes but it's for the best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »
lol at rick barnes haters

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
Yeah. I love that Barnes and Mack are criticized for doing the most important part of their job too well.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
lol at rick barnes haters
He is easily the best smelling coach in the big 12
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 03:33:15 PM »
How can anyone hate anything related to the U of T? I mean, they get us millions upon millions of dollars (not that we need it), totally clownsuit'd Nebraska, and we still beat them at everything. Love Texas, and Austin is fantastic city, the anti-Lawrence.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »
Yeah. I love that Barnes and Mack are criticized for doing the most important part of their job too well.

Everyone is all, "ANYONE CAN WIN AT TEXAS!" which is hilarious.  Rick is, by far, the best basketball coach they've had in their programs history (which is a sucky history). 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 11:04:51 AM »

Everyone is all, "ANYONE CAN WIN AT TEXAS!" which is hilarious.  Rick is, by far, the best basketball coach they've had in their programs history (which is a sucky history). 

Yes, especially when you consider their 2nd best coach looks like Gene Wilder's long lost brother:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »

Everyone is all, "ANYONE CAN WIN AT TEXAS!" which is hilarious. pretty much true.

Anyone using the Tom Penders/John Mackovic lines of thought to say that you can lose at Texas doesn't understand just how behind the times UT's athletic department was in the 1990's. Mack came in and smacked DeLoss across the face and helped the school get its crap together. Before then it was like Wefald was running the place. Today's reality is that you could literally not even have a coaching staff in Austin and Texas would still pull in loads of five-star talent in football every year.  For basketball, you only need someone with a moderate understanding of how the game works to pull in elite talent. Their history doesn't mean crap, and you know that recruits do not give a damn about what UT basketball did in the 1960's. They want the UT facilities, Austin weather, "local talent," nightlife, national exposure, and the high-grade cush. It really is not hard to win there in any major sport. At all.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
so basically nobody could win there except for Mack/Rick but since Mack/Rick kicked so much ass now anyone can win there?   :dubious:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »
so basically nobody could win there except for Mack/Rick but since Mack/Rick kicked so much ass now anyone can win there?   :dubious:

Well clearly their football program won in the past, they'd just fallen into a mediocre period because of neglect. Yes, Mack kicked enough ass so that now anyone can win there. Mack is a fantastic recruiter, a great team manager (last year aside), and an adequate x's and o's coach; and with enough administrative support he turned Texas back into the football juggernaut that it should be. I'm not trying to criticize Mack here, but now it's at the point where Turner Gill could coax out 10 win seasons there.

My main point is that Rick Barnes stepped into the most underachieving basketball program of all time caused by a lack of AD support and used administrative support and his recruiting prowess to turn the program into where it should be. He's not a bad coach, but he's not a great one either. I'd argue that administrative support was the main factor in bringing UT basketball to prominence, and Barnes rode that wave of momentum. In that sense he's a good program manager and an adequate recruiter (aka, he's not a complete dumbass). That brings me to my main point: anyone who has a moderate level of competence could win in UT basketball with the current level of support it gets from the athletic department. And yes, I am criticizing Rick Barnes, because a coach with good to great skills wouldn't have UT flaming out in the first or second round every year.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:38:45 PM by 42 »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »

Well clearly their football program won in the past, they'd just fallen into a mediocre period because of neglect. Yes, Mack kicked enough ass so that now anyone can win there. Mack is a fantastic recruiter, a great team manager (last year aside), and an adequate x's and o's coach; and with enough administrative support he turned Texas back into the football juggernaut that it should be. I'm not trying to criticize Mack here, but now it's at the point where Turner Gill could coax out 10 win seasons there.

My main point is that Rick Barnes stepped into the most underachieving basketball program of all time caused by a lack of AD support and used administrative support and his recruiting prowess to turn the program into where it should be. He's not a bad coach, but he's not a great one either. I'd argue that administrative support was the main factor in bringing UT basketball to prominence, and Barnes rode that wave of momentum. In that sense he's a good program manager and an adequate recruiter (aka, he's not a complete dumbass). That brings me to my main point: anyone who has a moderate level of competence could win in UT basketball with the current level of support it gets from the athletic department. And yes, I am criticizing Rick Barnes, because a coach with good to great skills wouldn't have UT flaming out in the first or second round every year.

Posts like this just make me feel very, very sorry for the poor sob who has to replace Mack. Mack is the best coach Texas has ever had. It's ridiculous to expect anybody else to duplicate his success.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 11:17:19 AM »

Posts like this just make me feel very, very sorry for the poor sob who has to replace Mack. Mack is the best coach Texas has ever had. It's ridiculous to expect anybody else to duplicate his success.

:dubious:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »
I guess anybody could win at UNC, too?  :dunno:

• Brown coached the Tar Heels to five consecutive bowl games, including UNC's only two New Year's Day bowl games in more than half a century
  • They were ranked in the AP Top 25 every week from October 1992 through the start of the 1995 season.
  • They finished in the final rankings in four out of five years, including two straight appearances in the top 10.
  • They also won 10 regular-season games in 1993 and 1997, only the second and third times the Tar Heels have accomplished this.