Author Topic: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?  (Read 189208 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
So guys, lets talk favorite baits and fishing strategies!

Farm Pond Fishing-

This is by far my favorite type of fishing because you are GAURANTEED SUCCESS!!!

Bass- I'm a big fan of Plastic's when it comes to Bass fishing. My standard setup is a 4 inch yellow grub on a 1/8oz jig head, this allows me to catch alot of bass(and other fish) but you normally wont catch a bass bigger than 5lbs on this. If I really want to catch a big one I throw on a plastic tube with a bullet weight in front and let the tube sink before popping it back up. The Bass normally strike as it is falling down.

Catfish- Best catfish bait for farm ponds is fresh but blue gill. I'll usually catch a couple blue gill with my jighead/grub combo then cut them up on the bank and put then on a circle hook. If its an old pond with alot of gunk on the bottom I'll use a bobber and set the bait about 2/3 feet below the bobber and throw it out in the middle. If the pond has a pretty clean bottom I'll just throw a 1 ounce swivel weight on there with a leader and let it sit on the bottom.

River Fishin-

I didnt do much River Fishin until I got up to manhattan and started fishing by rocky ford but now I love it! It is more challenging than pond fishing because the water conditions are different every time!

Catfish- In my experience the best bait for catfish on the river is fresh cut Shad or bluegill but any fresh cut fish from the river will do, I usually aquire these with my 6ft casting net. If I'm feeling lazy I'll use chicken livers or some frozen blue gill from a previous trip. I use a good ole fashion Tiger Shark from Walmart but replace the 12lb walmart line with some 20lb braided line. Put a swivel sinker on the line about 1 foot above my circle hook, this allows the bait to float up just kind of dangle in the current about 6-12 inches above to bottom.

Wipers/White Bass- Used to catch alot of these by rocky ford and catch some from time to time on the KS river by the 435 weir. The ideal bait for these are minnows suspended about 1-2 feet below a bobber. Find a turbulent part of the river (Still needs to be at least 2 ft deep) that opens up to a pool below. Cast as far upstream as possible and reel the line in as the bobber floats downstream. You dont want to reel it in so much that you are effecting the path of the bobber, just enough to keep the line tight.

I will occasionally throw my 4inch grub on a jig head but that is mainly just something to do when I'm bored.

Lake Fishing-
Dont do this much, feel free to add any tips or strategies you may have!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »
Bullhead- Worms (store bought). they would eat these things for breakfast lunch and dinner if you let them. can't resist their delicious flavor. I set them up on an eagle claw hook about 2 feet below a bobber with about 10 lead squeeze-on weights so you can really bomb it out there using a Zebco thumb reel deal.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2013, 10:46:18 AM »
Bullhead- Worms (store bought). they would eat these things for breakfast lunch and dinner if you let them. can't resist their delicious flavor.

Live Bullheads are actually the best bait if you are looking to catch a MONSTER flathead.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »
benji, I added on my set up? thoughts?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:17 AM »
Bullheads? More like bullshit this thread sucks post more pictures of Lady, ben ji.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »
benji, I added on my set up? thoughts?

Tough to go wrong with a classic like the Zebco 33, steve dave. You are sure to catch some nice bullheads with that set up.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »
Bullhead- Worms (store bought). they would eat these things for breakfast lunch and dinner if you let them. can't resist their delicious flavor.

Live Bullheads are actually the best bait if you are looking to catch a MONSTER flathead.

Those both taste like complete poop.  The most vile fishiest tasting dog crap around.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
I've found that you cannot add too many lead squeeze ons. with enough you can basically send your worm across the entire pond if you lean into your cast.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
traded a longboard for my first fly fishin rod last week. pretty excited!

fly fishing isn't fly fishing unless you make your own rod from tree bark and bear fur.

i think the guy i traded the board to did this. bear fur all over it.

make sure that he killed the bear with his own hands and chopped down the tree with an axe blade that he whittled out of rock, because if he didn't then i wouldn't really consider it a fly rod.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
INVENTION IDEA:  Way to grow Chilean Sea bass in farm ponds that taste like fresh Chilean Sea bass.

ANOTHER INVENTION IDEA:  Build Long John Silvers in rural areas so farm pond fisherman can have delicious fried cod filets and not eat poop.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:57 AM »
traded a longboard for my first fly fishin rod last week. pretty excited!

fly fishing isn't fly fishing unless you make your own rod from tree bark and bear fur.

i think the guy i traded the board to did this. bear fur all over it.

make sure that he killed the bear with his own hands and chopped down the tree with an axe blade that he whittled out of rock, because if he didn't then i wouldn't really consider it a fly rod. more like a zebco from walmart.

i'm comfortable with a zebco. think i own one. just because you aren't comfortable with the idea that you redneck camp, doesn't mean i'm not alright with being a noob fisherman.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »
Bullheads? More like bullshit this thread sucks post more pictures of Lady, ben ji.
:lol:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »
I have 5 XP's in my closet that don't get fished enough.   :cry:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2013, 11:05:37 AM »
Bullhead- Worms (store bought). they would eat these things for breakfast lunch and dinner if you let them. can't resist their delicious flavor. I set them up on an eagle claw hook about 2 feet below a bobber with about 10 lead squeeze-on weights so you can really bomb it out there using a Zebco thumb reel deal.

The eagle claw/zebco combo is a deadly setup and easy enough for anyone to use. I also dont see how you can go wrong with store bought worms, those things are just so HUGE the fish have no choice but to CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP away at em.

Also LOVE the lead squeeze-ons! I probably have over 100 of these in various sizes in my tackle box. If I feel like impressing a young lady with how far I can cast I usually sneak about 2-3 of these on and watch her fall in love with my casting skills.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »
For bassin I use:
H&H Green/blue combo Spinner(or any real generic spinner bait)
Black powerbait worm
Buzz bait
Plastic fluke lure(usually a gray/brown color)

Those are my go to tried a true lures.

The pic I uploaded with me holding the two monster bass, one was caught with the fluke, other was caught with the buzz bait.
:dance:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Bass/Bluegill/Sunny/Perch/Walleye/Pike/Trout- OK, bring back the Zebco. It also kicks ass for these fish. remove most of the pinch on weights but leave 1 or it will be impossible to cast. you'll just like flick it out one foot and the wind will catch it and blow it sideways or back onto the shore. remove the bobber. you're going to have to go by feel alone here. like making sex in the dark. on the end of that line? rooster tail spinner. yellow. these predatory species cannot resist its roostery tail and spinning metal deal. it's like crack cocaine to a fish that's addicted to crack cocaine. the finishing move? spray the living crap out of it with baitmate.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
this has to be the HFIQ bbs thread in all of college bbs.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »
secret no-fail lake catfish method:

go to rays apple market and buy a tub of chicken livers. open the chicken livers and spin in it, then reseal the tub. let sit on porch for at least 3 days. put a lead sinker on the line of your zebco like 15" from the biggest hook you can find in your tackle box. mush rotten chicken liver on hook, throw in water. kick back and rest the brim of your hat over your eyes and relax until a gigantic fish pulls you into the water.

Offline daBish7

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »
Going pond fishing north of Topeka tomorrow morning. Very excited, haven't been out in a couple of years.

I fished a lot at rocky ford, the tubes, and surrounding mhk rivers and streams in highschool.

The tubes down on the rocks were my bread and butter. Used worms, minners, shad, and livers and would cast about 1 o'clock and let the water take it down stream. Usually pretty successful but there was a chance you would catch a lot of trash fish.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »
What are the tubes? 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
Forgot another scenario!

Crick/Small River fishin-

I fished a couple times out at pillsbury crossing and now that I'm back in KC I will fish Indian Crick from time to time. Crick fishing is very similar to river fishing in that you need to find some rapids(lol, more like swift moving water) that empty into pools or just some deep pools. Google earth is great for finding general area's to check out on foot. 

Bass- I almost always use my 1/8 jighead 4 inch grub combo in crick's because these bass will not get as big as they might if they were living in lakes or farm ponds. Your best bet at finding bass in a crick will be right under any type of waterfall. Bass are ambush predators and will just sort of chill by the mini waterfall and wait for little fish to get swept over the edge and bash their head on the rocks. These little guys will be all disoriented and get GOBBLED up quickly by big ole mr bass.

Catfish- Cricks are loaded with blue gill and other panfish so just cast your jighead grub combo close to the bank and start reelin them in. Cut em up real quick and throw them on the circle hook below a 1ounce swivel weight then cast it out into the middle of of a deep pool. The catfish cant resist! Your not going to find any huge ones but I've caught a couple 5lb channel cats and some of SD's favorite the BULLHEAD CATFISH.

Crick fishin is great because there are alot of random cricks that are loaded with fish that people dont even think to fish in. Here is my favorite spot along Indian Crick in the KC area.

Just north of the ball fields is a large pool loaded with some catfish, further down is some waterfall action that has bass foaming at the mouth just waiting for lil fish to get knocked upside the head and come tumbling down!  :D

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »
What are the tubes?

Its where they release the water from Tuttle

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
Are we sharing fishing spots?  The only MHKish fishing spot I can share is on the way to Pillsbury.  It's a Project FISH deal.  You can high bank the crap out of some carp in there.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
Are we sharing fishing spots?  The only MHKish fishing spot I can share is on the way to Pillsbury.  It's a Project FISH deal.  You can high bank the crap out of some carp in there.

No one tries to catch carp emo...But congrats on your masters!

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2013, 01:25:09 PM »
Carp is gross.