Author Topic: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?  (Read 183764 times)

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:29 AM »
Just got back from the lake.  Spent about 2 hours (7pm to 9 pm), wading a shoreline that isn't really accessible from the bank, throwing a white beetle spin.  Didn't catch jack, not even a bite.  I was about to pack it up but then decided to try out some stink-bait I made from chicken livers, salt, flour, garlic, and water.  I let it sit out for a few days and get all rotten and maggot filled.  It stank well but was too runny and didn't stay on either regular treble-hook or sponge treble-hook.  So I used the last of my regular chicken liver, and caught a nice (channel, I think) catfish.  It put up a pretty decent fight for it's size (3-4 lbs). pretty fun and much better than getting skunked.  I didn't have any pliers so it took forever to get the hook out and I felt sorry for the fish so I went home.

I caught the cat at an area where the creek feeds into the lake and near where two fishing points meet. There is some drowned trees in the area as well.  Is this a generally good area for catfish at night?  Or did I just get lucky?

Yeah.  Channel cat like the channel that water creates when dumping into lakes. 

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 08:44:45 AM »
best freshwater fish to eat: (in order)

walleye
perch
sauger
crappie
trout
catfish

stay away from

bass (of any type, even rock)
pike (they taste and smell like the slime that covers them)
sunfish

i'd say something about muskie but most of you fishing noobs have probably never even heard of them let alone landed one.   :lol:

glad you didn't say anything about muskie.  since you already said something about muskie when you mentioned pike.  a muskellunge is a type of pike.  you are a complete fishing dumbass.  go learn your fish, noob.

having spent many a fishing trip in the St. Lawrence seaway as a youth, i mock fishing dumbasses like you who come in here and try to push other fishing dumbasses around.  

:surprised:

same family but different species...like perch, walleye and sauger.  which are, by the way, still the tastiest freshwater lake fish.

best lures for northerns, clams?  
a muskie is a pike, just as a northern is a pike.  in your post you just referred to a pike.  not a northern, which i assume you meant?

i like using rebel jointed minnows.  

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »
took fly fishing in college.  never fly fished in real life.  was probably the best fly tying guy in class though.  proffesor was a huge tool towny guy that thought pretty highly of his fly fishing and high school teaching lifestyle.  got an A. 

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
wELLsculptedbrows is THE goEMAW fishing expert and can drop more fishing knowledge than anyone else on this board combined.  He's basically a professional.

If anyone has fishing questions i'm confident he can answer them. 

None of this is true, but if it were, it would be in large part due to Paul Sodamann and his 1-credit-hour Fly Fishing class through the UFM. Any other elite alumni on here?

took fly fishing in college.  never fly fished in real life.  was probably the best fly tying guy in class though.  proffesor was a huge tool towny guy that thought pretty highly of his fly fishing and high school teaching lifestyle.  got an A. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
holy crap, missed that.  ALUMNI STEVE DAVE REPORTING!

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
didn't he have you guys fly fish practice in memorial stadium?

clams true fishing story:  once caught a catfish while fly fishing.  /thread

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 08:55:29 AM »
no, used the gym at the HS he taught at in MHK.  here is the prof:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »
he's a middle school teacher, noobs.

Offline AlBundynurmouth

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 06:44:40 AM »
I go night fishing.....
Kansas Fan....but no need to get all butt hurt about it.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
no, used the gym at the HS he taught at in MHK.  here is the prof:

Huge tool? I'm not so sure if I believe you're an actual UFM Fly Fishing alumni ... actually, maybe your right ... I had to miss one class because of a real test in an actual class, and had to join the Federation of Fly Fishers to maintain my A. Yeah, you're right, what a dick.

But if I split my time between the two heavens of the Flint Hills and the Florida Keys, I'd think pretty highly of my lifestyle too.

I'd love to go out on his flats boat on Tuttle some time, but I'd much more love to do this:

flyfishing in Patagonia

JEALOUS.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2011, 12:56:57 AM »
I used to be considered among the fishing elite in my highschool; then I went to college and pretty much stopped fishing.    Waiting for my kids to get old enough to not be annoying when I take them fishing before I really get back into it. 

Best advice I had for bass fishing wannabe's is wake up a sun up and be done fishing by 9:00 - 10:00 then don't even bother trying again until about an hour before sundown.   Another big mistake people make bass fishing is wading in the water & casting out as far as they can possible cast.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
I go night fishing.....

I prefer night putting.

Sincerely,

Mitch Cumstein

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 09:49:26 PM »
I used to be considered among the fishing elite in my highschool; then I went to college and pretty much stopped fishing.    Waiting for my kids to get old enough to not be annoying when I take them fishing before I really get back into it. 

Best advice I had for bass fishing wannabe's is wake up a sun up and be done fishing by 9:00 - 10:00 then don't even bother trying again until about an hour before sundown.   Another big mistake people make bass fishing is wading in the water & casting out as far as they can possible cast.

When you don't have a boat you pretty much have to wade.  Then you can cast parallel to the shoreline. 

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »

When you don't have a boat you pretty much have to wade.  Then you can cast parallel to the shoreline. 

I'm not talking exactly parallel dude; depending on how deep the fish are you should be casting anywhere between 20 degrees to 45 degrees to shore - I just lol at people that rear back & fling that rough rider 100 yards out like the farther they cast the better chance they have at catching fish.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2011, 01:21:25 AM »

I'm not talking exactly parallel dude; depending on how deep the fish are you should be casting anywhere between 20 degrees to 45 degrees to shore - I just lol at people that rear back & fling that rough rider 100 yards out like the farther they cast the better chance they have at catching fish.

yeah, i know. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2011, 12:22:21 AM »

yeah, i know. 

just saying it's possible without wading.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
I rough ridin' give up.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2011, 11:17:48 PM »
Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top YLA.  I havent been fishing lately due to the blue-green algae bloom. 

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2012, 08:36:24 PM »
Man, dont know how I missed this thread but I'm going to OWN it next year.

I stopped fishing around July due to the drought but before that I caught a couple 5lb+ bass and a couple 10+ catfish not to mention a shitload of Wipers and Drum.

ben ji's favorite public spot around KC? 435 Weir on the KS river.

Offline Diamond Dave

• Fan
  • Rock the EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »
Wow, I missed this thread the first time around as well.

Great memories from fishing with my grandpa. My grandma would pack us lunches (usually consisting of PB&J, Cheetos and a Coke) and we'd be on our way to Kanopolis. Spent the day there fishing channel cat that we would take home and clean for dinner. Great bonding time. Would also hit up Marion Reservoir for bass (catch and release) and Lake Inman (if grandpa was lazy).

I haven't fished since well before I was able to drink so I'm sure that enhances the experience tenfold.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »
Will deep sea the crap out of fishing.  Have like a bagillion things I would do before fresh water fishing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »
it's difficult for me to think of a more boring way to spend my time than fishing.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
it's difficult for me to think of a more boring way to spend my time than fishing.
Drinking is the trick. Then, when you get that bump on the line, it's 6 to midnight.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »
Just drink at mccormick and schmicks?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2