Author Topic: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?  (Read 189182 times)

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?
« Reply #725 on: May 08, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2014/05/07/matt_rainwaters_photographs_the_okie_noodling_tournament_in_pauls_valley.html

:horrorsurprise: Man it would take some courage that I don't think I could muster to go in blind, head first after one of those hogs. Even Jeremy Wade was pretty nervous when he was in Okla trying it.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 08, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2014/05/07/matt_rainwaters_photographs_the_okie_noodling_tournament_in_pauls_valley.html

:horrorsurprise: Man it would take some courage that I don't think I could muster to go in blind, head first after one of those hogs. Even Jeremy Wade was pretty nervous when he was in Okla trying it.
yeah and the fish are really big too!

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 09, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »

How badly do you guys want a "If you ain't bleedin, you ain't leadin" t-shirt? Can someone mock these up with a kat pak head for future pak's?

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 09, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »

How badly do you guys want a "If you ain't bleedin, you ain't leadin" t-shirt? Can someone mock these up with a kat pak head for future pak's?
:lol: that's awesome

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 09, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »
Anyone catch spoonbills at grand lake? 

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 09, 2014, 07:29:13 PM »

And the biggest the pit has yet to offer

4ish lb

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »

And the biggest the pit has yet to offer

4ish lb

Good looking fish.

Is tail water pit the same as a strip pit (old strip mining pit filled with water and stocked with fish)?

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 10, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
Kind of, it's basically a man made runoff from a stream or flood overflow, going back out again today I know there are some big boys in the cat tails

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 10, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »
I'm with dudes from all over the country and they all keep saying "those Kansas boys sure can fish" so pat yourselves on the back gents

Offline Stat_Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 10, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
Been out twice now this year, caught nothing...  The boy is totally into fishing (5) and still loves it even though we haven't caught anything.  Today he came up to me as I sat there realizing we were going home empty handed and said "Well dad, I hate to be the one to say this but I don't think the fish are biting today."  I really just need to spend time scouting my spots before bringing him out, he loses all interest by the time we realize we're in the wrong spot...

That being said has anyone found any good ponds in or around the Manhattan area easily accessible for kids that they're biting at (I know there's Pott 2 but I never have much luck there and always seem to end up next to some loud drunks...) ?  He really wants to throw a lure, but the pond I fish at isn't very friendly for him throwing a lure with the steep banks...

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: May 10, 2014, 07:08:17 PM »
Well catfish will eat anything, worst case just rig up a perch line

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 10, 2014, 10:45:30 PM »
Been out twice now this year, caught nothing...  The boy is totally into fishing (5) and still loves it even though we haven't caught anything.  Today he came up to me as I sat there realizing we were going home empty handed and said "Well dad, I hate to be the one to say this but I don't think the fish are biting today."  I really just need to spend time scouting my spots before bringing him out, he loses all interest by the time we realize we're in the wrong spot...

That being said has anyone found any good ponds in or around the Manhattan area easily accessible for kids that they're biting at (I know there's Pott 2 but I never have much luck there and always seem to end up next to some loud drunks...) ?  He really wants to throw a lure, but the pond I fish at isn't very friendly for him throwing a lure with the steep banks...

I forget when, but I know last year at Wildcat Creek, they stocked the every living crap out of that pond and gave away free rods and tackle to kids. Went there after it was over and caught 8 cat in an hour.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 11, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
Also if you are having a tough time catching fish grind up two hot dogs and mix with dog food, throw a few hands full out periodically. this is basically cheating but you are guaranteed fish

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 11, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »

Try the trout pond at Tuttle, its separated from the main tuttle puddle and most people fishing there are only fishing for trout. I used to catch a good number of bass in there back when I was in school. You don't need a trout permit to fish it as long as you don't keep any of the trout.

I would park at the Little Grill, walk across the street and fish the trout pond, then head back and get some amazing jerk chicken.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 11, 2014, 11:58:30 AM »

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 11, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
Friday night at Smithville Lake north of KC. 25 crappie and one nice bass (caught on a micro lite, hence the sand).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 11, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
Ahhhhh Yeeaaahhhhh, we've got EMAW's slamming fish from Virginia to Smithville.

I went out to my favorite honey hole on indian crick today and caught some bluegill to use as catfish bait. I tried out a new spot in the honey hole and snagged 2 nice size bass, unfortunately they both threw the hook about 8 feet in front of me  :frown:.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 11, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »
I want fish with you guys

The Big Train

« Reply #743 on: May 11, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »
I pakd my face off last night so getting a very late start but I'm just headed out to snag some fishes  :D

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 11, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »
Ahhhhh Yeeaaahhhhh, we've got EMAW's slamming fish from Virginia to Smithville.

I went out to my favorite honey hole on indian crick today and caught some bluegill to use as catfish bait. I tried out a new spot in the honey hole and snagged 2 nice size bass, unfortunately they both threw the hook about 8 feet in front of me  :frown:.
i know the feeling, I have sore mouthed this entire pit

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 11, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »

trout pond at Tuttle

I fished the seep stream a lot during the springs when I was in Manhattan, but I had never heard anything about Willow Lake before today.

I am totally baffled. Is it spring fed? Seems really weird to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 11, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »

trout pond at Tuttle

I fished the seep stream a lot during the springs when I was in Manhattan, but I had never heard anything about Willow Lake before today.

I am totally baffled. Is it spring fed? Seems really weird to me.

It is right next to tuttle puddle but there is a earth/gravel dam that separates it from the main puddle.

They stock it with trout every spring.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 11, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »
http://goo.gl/maps/Y18m1

Stocked with channels all spring and summer. Low traffic.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 11, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »
Ah, ok. That makes more sense.

From what I read at first (here and elsewhere) it made it sound like trout we're able to survive year round in this pond. Which about blew my mind.

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 12, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »
Went out Friday morning (the 9th) and reeled in about 15 largemouth in 1.5 hours. No fish bigger than 1 or 1.5 lb, but it was virtually non stop action. Farm pond, North Central KS.