Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1353157 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Malaysian Airline
« Reply #3325 on: March 07, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
Job interview in Cincinnati next week (job isn't there just the corporate office). Good ideas for lunch/dinner? Cincinnati chili is weird to me. Pasta in my chili?  :Yuck:
What area you staying? If in the Blue Ash area, http://www.montgomeryinn.com/ is a local joint that's been featured on several tv shows. Great food. They have three other locations in the metro area as well. Downtown area is loaded. We like the Brazilian steakhouse next door to Morton's at 5th and Vine.

not sure yet where I'm staying, but the offices are close to Blue Ash. I will try that  :thumbs:

They have good ribs.  Huggins liked to chow down there.  It's actually in Montgomery (surprise!), which is maybe 10-15 minutes from Blue Ash if that matters.

What kind of experience do you want for dinner?  If you want a fancy dinner, this list is good.  Table is my personal favorite for fancy.  Nicola's is good for Italian.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/bestrestaurants/category/best-restaurants-2013

Ribs would be good. Since I'm down there near Kentucky I wouldn't mind a glass of good whiskey (post-interview). Any local microbrewery that has good food would also be considered. Dutch's Larder sounds interesting but might be a little out of the way

Go here for your bourbon.  Sit outside in the patio area if the weather is good. 

http://www.arnoldsbarandgrill.com/

Go here for craft beer restaurant.  It's right on the river.

www.moerleinlagerhouse.com/

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Malaysian Airline
« Reply #3326 on: March 07, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »
**PAGING ALL CREDIT CARD CATS**

Turns out that my wife just qualified for the SW Companion pass (our primary travel objective is free domestic flights to see family--moo moo), so I'll probably hop on that for this vacay. I also have about 70,000 UR points thanks to my extra elite Chase Ink Bold.

Two questions for Steve Dave, mocat, Rich Daris, other cc studs:

1) Where should we go that SW flies? (see list below)
2) Should I transfer my UR points to Hyatt then book a couple of nice Hyatt stays, or should I go for the personal and business SPG Amex?

Recommend a SWA city for WonderMeal and Mrs. Wondermeal in June:

Cancun
Chicago (she's never been!  :sdeek:)
Key West
Birmingham (loljk)
Miami
Bahamas
Mexico City
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Portland, OR
San Francisco
Santa Fe
Seattle

if you are flying out of MCI you cannot fly international on SWA until August 25.   But then I would go to Cabo.

go to seattle dummy (unless you want something sunny like Cancun or whatever). Also I have heard great things about SFO fwiw.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: March 07, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »
Job interview in Cincinnati next week (job isn't there just the corporate office). Good ideas for lunch/dinner? Cincinnati chili is weird to me. Pasta in my chili?  :Yuck:
What area you staying? If in the Blue Ash area, http://www.montgomeryinn.com/ is a local joint that's been featured on several tv shows. Great food. They have three other locations in the metro area as well. Downtown area is loaded. We like the Brazilian steakhouse next door to Morton's at 5th and Vine.

not sure yet where I'm staying, but the offices are close to Blue Ash. I will try that  :thumbs:

They have good ribs.  Huggins liked to chow down there.  It's actually in Montgomery (surprise!), which is maybe 10-15 minutes from Blue Ash if that matters.

What kind of experience do you want for dinner?  If you want a fancy dinner, this list is good.  Table is my personal favorite for fancy.  Nicola's is good for Italian.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/bestrestaurants/category/best-restaurants-2013

Ribs would be good. Since I'm down there near Kentucky I wouldn't mind a glass of good whiskey (post-interview). Any local microbrewery that has good food would also be considered. Dutch's Larder sounds interesting but might be a little out of the way

Go here for your bourbon.  Sit outside in the patio area if the weather is good. 

http://www.arnoldsbarandgrill.com/

Go here for craft beer restaurant.  It's right on the river.

:thumbs:
Thanks man, depending on where I am and the amount of time on my hands I'll choose between those 2 and Montgomery Inn
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:45:34 PM by AbeFroman »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3329 on: March 08, 2014, 07:10:49 AM »

this looks great
I agree. I'm going to see if the boss will hold our next sales meeting downtown instead of Blue Ash.

Nice tips chum1.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: March 08, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »

Turns out that my wife just qualified for the SW Companion pass (our primary travel objective is free domestic flights to see family--moo moo), so I'll probably hop on that for this vacay. I also have about 70,000 UR points thanks to my extra elite Chase Ink Bold.

2) Should I transfer my UR points to Hyatt then book a couple of nice Hyatt stays, or should I go for the personal and business SPG Amex?

Cancun
Key West
Birmingham (loljk)
Miami
Bahamas
Mexico City
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Portland, OR
San Francisco
Santa Fe
Seattle

if you are flying out of MCI you cannot fly international on SWA until August 25.   But then I would go to Cabo.

go to seattle dummy (unless you want something sunny like Cancun or whatever). Also I have heard great things about SFO fwiw.

not sure that it makes sense given you have the companion pass, but turning in your swa points for AirTran credits is a pretty great way to go to Aruba, puerto Vallarta, cabo, Monday, etc. 9600 swa gets you one way lower level redemption.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: March 08, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »

Cancun
Key West
Birmingham (loljk)
Miami
Bahamas
Mexico City
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Portland, OR
San Francisco
Santa Fe
Seattle

not sure that it makes sense given you have the companion pass, but turning in your swa points for AirTran credits is a pretty great way to go to Aruba, puerto Vallarta, cabo, Monday, etc. 9600 swa gets you one way lower level redemption.

Airtan doesn't fly to Puerto Vallarta.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: March 11, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
So I'm in seat 1D today on the far right side. Halfway through the flight, the guy next to me in 1C pops a cell phone pic of the attractive blonde across the aisle in 1A. She is asleep so I am like wtf this guy is a super creep. At the end of the flight I stand up and realize that the blonde is the GF of the guy in 1B, and its Chipper Freaking Jones, and the guy in 1C was actually taking a pic of him.

#nails stories like this are what keep my coming back here to ol'goEMAW.   i mean, chipper freaking jones.  #nailstory #CFJ #luvin'it #sexEblond1

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: March 11, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »
So I'm in seat 1D today on the far right side. Halfway through the flight, the guy next to me in 1C pops a cell phone pic of the attractive blonde across the aisle in 1A. She is asleep so I am like wtf this guy is a super creep. At the end of the flight I stand up and realize that the blonde is the GF of the guy in 1B, and its Chipper Freaking Jones, and the guy in 1C was actually taking a pic of him.

You lucky sonofabitch

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: March 11, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
My bad I thought the travel thread was a safe place for travel stories

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: March 11, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
man for a second there I was worried you were sitting next to a creep

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: March 11, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
My bad I thought the travel thread was a safe place for travel stories

I thought the  whole thing was just a fanning brag about seat 1D and then BAM! Chipper jones.   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: March 12, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: March 13, 2014, 07:00:05 AM »
On first Delta flight in a long time. Lots of herp derp. Spring break effect. First best shirt- blazing wings challenge survivor.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: March 13, 2014, 07:16:27 AM »
First best shirt- blazing wings challenge survivor.

I would love to own that shirt

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: March 13, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
 :love:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #3341 on: March 13, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: March 13, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: March 13, 2014, 06:32:46 PM »
fun going-down-slide opportunity for those kids

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: March 13, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »
Are these pictures part of the "which airport am I at?" game?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: March 13, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »
Wtf guys

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »
there was a plane crash today and some girl took a selfie after her crash. Do you need me to get fanning in here to break it down for you?

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: March 13, 2014, 08:14:06 PM »
So Mrs. WonderMeal and I have narrowed down our June vacation to either San Francisco or Seattle.

Of those two cities, which one is better suited for stud bosses? Which SPG or Hyatt hotels should we book for free (because stud bosses)? And what should we do while there?

Please note: I do not have a mustache, nor do I have a desire to watch people throw fish. Outdoor things and good food are primary objectives.

:party:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: March 13, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »
So Mrs. WonderMeal and I have narrowed down our June vacation to either San Francisco or Seattle.

Of those two cities, which one is better suited for stud bosses? Which SPG or Hyatt hotels should we book for free (because stud bosses)? And what should we do while there?

Please note: I do not have a mustache, nor do I have a desire to watch people throw fish. Outdoor things and good food are primary objectives.

San Fran is great. And I'll tell you about a great fountain where you can go throw a penny and wish for michigancat to walk by.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: March 13, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »

SF has some great outdoor places within an hour (and much less). Muir Woods, Half Moon Bay, Stinson Beach, Mt Tam are all great. Ride a bike across the GG Bridge and take a ferry back. And there's tons of high end food.

But it will be cold.