Author Topic: basketball recruiting over the past year?  (Read 5026 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
basketball recruiting over the past year?
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
smart people please respond.

overall seems very ok/slightly above avg to me. i really don't have a clue about this stuff though. assuming martin et al stick around, will this year and a probable good year next year help at all? can we expect one ck/spri/denis a year? if we get pretty decent highschoolers and supplement them w/ one good transfer, will this be enough to keep top 25 type stuff going? maybe? i mean, if we could be like osu was under sutton, that would be fantastic.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: basketball recruiting over the past year?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »
don't count on the transfers to keep coming and paying off, frank and staff have basically chartered new waters with their transfer successes.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »

overall seems very ok/slightly above avg to me. i really don't have a clue about this stuff though. assuming martin et al stick around, will this year and a probable good year next year help at all? can we expect one ck/spri/denis a year? if we get pretty decent highschoolers and supplement them w/ one good transfer, will this be enough to keep top 25 type stuff going? maybe? i mean, if we could be like osu was under sutton, that would be fantastic.

the winning helps.  but the staff will still be doing lots to most of recruiting through contacts.  agree with 'clams that the transfer angle is a little overblown.  kstate isn't going to become transfer u.

unless you just like recruiting (like me, for example), i wouldn't worry about it too much.  the staff knows how to get players.  just worry about keeping the staff, if you want to worry.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:21:02 PM by sys »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »

the winning helps.  but the staff will still be doing lots to most of recruiting through contacts.  agree with 'clams that the transfer angle is a little over blown.  kstate isn't going to become transfer u.

unless you just like recruiting (like me, for example), i wouldn't worry about it to much.  the staff knows how to get players.  just worry about keeping the staff, if you want to worry.

oh, i'm already worried about that.

good to hear about the staff. i mean, i kind of feel that way and stuff already, but nino and will??? will those type of players lead to top 25 teams? i mean, we need more than that every year, right?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »
southwell will probably be decent. 

Nino williams and spradling will suck.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:22:42 PM »
good to hear about the staff. i mean, i kind of feel that way and stuff already, but nino and will??? will those type of players lead to top 25 teams? i mean, we need more than that every year, right?

williams and spradling are fine.  don't fall into the typical kansan attitude of undervaluing local recruits.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »
meh I say.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »

williams and spradling are fine.  don't fall into the typical kansan attitude of undervaluing local recruits.

Will Nino be back out on the AAU circuit this summer?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »

not saying that they aren't fine. didn't really mean that. i'm more than fine having them. but what is the ceiling for a team that gets nothing but sprad/nino players? i mean, are they good enough that you could just get nino and sprads all day long and be top25? i want top25.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »

He's going to prep school so he should be shouldn't he?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:35:56 PM »

He's going to prep school so he should be shouldn't he?

It would be fun if he got a bunch of pub and shot up the rankings....I like that sort of thing.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »
not saying that they aren't fine. didn't really mean that. i'm more than fine having them. but what is the ceiling for a team that gets nothing but sprad/nino players? i mean, are they good enough that you could just get nino and sprads all day long and be top25? i want top25.

fringe top 25, i think.  you probably need a few higher rated recruits too, to consistently be a solid top 25.

but non pump&run kc area recruits are consistently underrated nationally, imo.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »
I think going after transfers is clearly a part of our strategy.  Jeronne Maymon is another example.  We're not just getting lucky.  Frank is getting these guys to perform.  As long as he can continue to do this, it's a great way to increase our talent level. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 09:50:33 PM »
HS/Juco recruiting has been average to below average for the Big 12 over the past year, at least w/ regards to commitments.  But that's really not a large sample size, and the void left by J-Mart pretty much leaves us in the dark.  If you look at how well misses like Johnson-Odom and Burks are doing, and how they get in on guys like John Henson, Tony Mitchell, and Ryan Boatright before they blow up, you can at least be a little encouraged.

And I think the transfer thing can continue to be successful.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »

to clarify, i'm not saying future transfers can't be successful.  more not to expect one/year.

if you look at the 3 transfers to date.  2 of those probably sign w. kstate as hs recruits if they were coming out now.  it's not like the kstate staff is looking under every stone for transfers.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »
you guys are rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) if you think the transfer thing will continue but every site needs its dobbie so i'll just leave you alone and not p.i. your dumbasses.

to clarify, i'm not saying future transfers can't be successful.  more not to expect one/year.

if you look at the 3 transfers to date.  2 of those probably sign w. kstate as hs recruits if they were coming out now.  it's not like the kstate staff is looking under every stone for transfers.
:driving:

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
A transfer is a transfer whether we're looking under every stone or not.  It's pretty clear that we'll continue to pursue transfers and that dobbie, sys, and claims will continue to feed each other crap biscuits for breakfast.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
if you look at the 3 transfers to date.  2 of those probably sign w. kstate as hs recruits if they were coming out now.  it's not like the kstate staff is looking under every stone for transfers.

I realize the D1 transfers haven't been random.  But there's a lot of Gauchos and Assaulters and Miami and DFW kids out there.  The fact that the staff misses on a lot of kids kind of helps w/ transfers.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »
i don't really think one a year but 2/3 years or even 1/2 wouldn't surprise me/be bad.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 10:02:31 PM »
keep kidding yourselves, transfer losers.  wow it's like i'm surrounded by a bunch of transfer newbs.  oh well.   :facepalm:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »
if you look at the 3 transfers to date.  2 of those probably sign w. kstate as hs recruits if they were coming out now.  it's not like the kstate staff is looking under every stone for transfers.

I realize the D1 transfers haven't been random.  But there's a lot of Gauchos and Assaulters and Miami and DFW kids out there.  The fact that the staff misses on a lot of kids kind of helps w/ transfers.

This is the most important thing.  We already have established footholds in three major AAU teams/pipelines, add that to the fact that we now have alumi (beaz, Clems, Colon, CK) after this year it only bodes well for KSU.  Combine that with the attention that our current and hopefully continued success next year brings and things are looking good for KSU recruiting.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 12:03:47 AM »
I think going after transfers is clearly a part of our strategy.  Jeronne Maymon is another example.  We're not just getting lucky.  Frank is getting these guys to perform.  As long as he can continue to do this, it's a great way to increase our talent level. 

Buy in or Quit! means something totally different to a transfer athlete than it does to a four year player and Frank knows this. What is obvious so far for transfers is that Frank will not let your bad attitude get in the way of realizing your potential.

Offline A-Lishious

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »

shazbot! I am so much better at this then you guys.

Just look at the damn date.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=1246.0

Sigh... :dunno:

Offline CatsFan_58

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 12:27:32 AM »
i have hope for continued success.  :crossfingers: