Author Topic: ObamaCare includes a 3.8% tax on unearned income  (Read 9078 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
ObamaCare includes a 3.8% tax on unearned income
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »
Did any of you know this starts in Jan 2013?

Beginning January 1, 2013, ObamaCare imposes a 3.8% Medicare tax on unearned income, including the sale of single family homes, townhouses, co-ops, condominiums, and even rental income.

In February 2010, 5.02 million homes were sold, according to the National Association of Realtors.  On any given day, the sale of a house, townhome, condominium, co-op, or income from a rental property can push middle-income families over the $250,000 threshold and slam them with a new tax they can’t afford.   

This new ObamaCare tax is the first time the government will apply a 3.8 percent tax on unearned income.  This new tax on home sales and unearned income and other Medicare taxes raise taxes more than $210 billion to pay for ObamaCare.   The National Association of Realtors called this new Medicare tax on unearned income “destructive” and “ill-advised” and warned it would hurt job creation.
   :flush: :goodbyecruelworld:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: ObamaCare includes a 3.8% tax on unearned income
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:24:06 PM »
Just think of what else is buried in that 10 million page bill....

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:52 PM »
Did any of you know this starts in Jan 2013?

Beginning January 1, 2013, ObamaCare imposes a 3.8% Medicare tax on unearned income, including the sale of single family homes, townhouses, co-ops, condominiums, and even rental income.

In February 2010, 5.02 million homes were sold, according to the National Association of Realtors.  On any given day, the sale of a house, townhome, condominium, co-op, or income from a rental property can push middle-income families over the $250,000 threshold and slam them with a new tax they can’t afford.   

This new ObamaCare tax is the first time the government will apply a 3.8 percent tax on unearned income.  This new tax on home sales and unearned income and other Medicare taxes raise taxes more than $210 billion to pay for ObamaCare.   The National Association of Realtors called this new Medicare tax on unearned income “destructive” and “ill-advised” and warned it would hurt job creation.
   :flush: :goodbyecruelworld:

Someone had told me about this, but I didn't believe him because it sounded so absurd.  Would be very damaging to the housing industry, which doesn't need anymore pain.  First they give anyone $8,000 just for buying a house, now they want to take away $8,000+ from anyone selling a house for $200,000+.  These policies are totally incoherent.

Does anyone know how this jives with the exemption for the first $250,000/$500,000 on the sale of a personal residence?  How is it unearned income anyways?

I assume everyone that didn't have health insurance has it by now, for free, no cost at all, it's a right.    :facepalm:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »
The new Medicare tax is for all unearned net investment income and includes interest income, dividends, rents, and capital gains. The new Medicare tax will not impact the capital gains exclusion for principal residences ($250,000 for individuals/$500,000 for married couples). The 3.8 percent tax only will apply to taxable gains above this exclusion. The tax will take effect on Jan. 1, 2013, and will be applicable to high-income taxpayers with adjusted gross incomes of $200,000 or more for individuals, or $250,000 or more for married couples.
:users:

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:17:46 PM »
The new Medicare tax is for all unearned net investment income and includes interest income, dividends, rents, and capital gains. The new Medicare tax will not impact the capital gains exclusion for principal residences ($250,000 for individuals/$500,000 for married couples). The 3.8 percent tax only will apply to taxable gains above this exclusion. The tax will take effect on Jan. 1, 2013, and will be applicable to high-income taxpayers with adjusted gross incomes of $200,000 or more for individuals, or $250,000 or more for married couples.

yup. another hidden tax disguised as a health care bill.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
Now the regime is floating a mileage tax. 

More and more, never enough.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »

So well hidden it's been talked about for more than a year.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »

Doesnt mean its still not a turd sandwich.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »
sounds good to me IMO.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »
So basically, if you're a married couple and you buy a house for $500,000, you'd have to pay 3.8% of every dollar you make selling the house past the point of $1,000,000? That doesn't sound too unfair to me.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »
So basically, if you're a married couple and you buy a house for $500,000, you'd have to pay 3.8% of every dollar you make selling the house past the point of $1,000,000? That doesn't sound too unfair to me.

Probably more like $1.2 million. There are deductions for maintenance/improvements etc. Provided there's enough land, it could also be subdivided and sell one parcel at a "loss" to offset enough of the gains to get under the cap as well.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
So it's a tax that affects virtually no one?  Or is it a tax that destroys home builders and real estate investors who don't get the personal exemption?  I hope various union contractors are made aware of this if that's the case.  Wouldn't want to mislead them as to why they're getting fired (i.e. the evil rich boss business owner).

I wonder what the Obama made the CBO say it would raise in revenue?  My guess, a couple hundred billion.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
Post deleted for 'tardation.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:38:44 PM by Nuts Kicked »

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »

Why are taxes unrelated to health care in a health care bill that was never debated on the House floor?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »
So it's a tax that affects virtually no one?  Or is it a tax that destroys home builders and real estate investors who don't get the personal exemption?  I hope various union contractors are made aware of this if that's the case.  Wouldn't want to mislead them as to why they're getting fired (i.e. the evil rich boss business owner).

I wonder what the Obama made the CBO say it would raise in revenue?  My guess, a couple hundred billion.

Why shouldn't real estate investors and home builders have to pay taxes?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »

Didn't realize they were previously exempt from taxes.  If that's the case, isn't the real question "why do real estate investors and home builders only have to pay a 3.8% tax"?  If that's not the case, why should they have to pay additional taxes above and beyond what everyone else pays.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »

Didn't realize they were previously exempt from taxes.  If that's the case, isn't the real question "why do real estate investors and home builders only have to pay a 3.8% tax"?  If that's not the case, why should they have to pay additional taxes above and beyond what everyone else pays.

They do pay taxes on capital gains if they make enough money. The thing about real estate investment is that you are allowed to reinvest and only pay taxes on the amount of cash you keep. So, I could develop a plot of land, sell that plot of land at a profit of $1,000,000, and then use that $1,000,000 to buy a new even bigger plot of land and pay no taxes on the $1,000,000. The proposed tax will just be a small tax increase for very wealthy people.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »

They do pay taxes on capital gains if they make enough money. The thing about real estate investment is that you are allowed to reinvest and only pay taxes on the amount of cash you keep. So, I could develop a plot of land, sell that plot of land at a profit of $1,000,000, and then use that $1,000,000 to buy a new even bigger plot of land and pay no taxes on the $1,000,000. The proposed tax will just be a small tax increase for very wealthy people.

This isn't exactly true.  You can do a 1031 exchange and defer taxes in this manner, but eventually you have to pay taxes on all gains.  It's not like the gains just disappear.

I'm sick and tired of people saying the "wealthy" don't pay their fair share.  Half this rough ridin' country pays no income taxes, yet they're running around saying the wealthy don't pay enough.  IMO, if you don't pay any income taxes you can't say what someone elses "fair share" is or is not.  The tax system is fundamentally unfair as drafted, therefore any attempt to make it "more fair" by targeting one group of people is at best political rhetoric and most likely old fashioned populous class warfare (the lowest form of democracy).

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 06:36:06 PM »

This isn't exactly true.  You can do a 1031 exchange and defer taxes in this manner, but eventually you have to pay taxes on all gains.  It's not like the gains just disappear.

I'm sick and tired of people saying the "wealthy" don't pay their fair share.  Half this rough ridin' country pays no income taxes, yet they're running around saying the wealthy don't pay enough.  IMO, if you don't pay any income taxes you can't say what someone elses "fair share" is or is not.  The tax system is fundamentally unfair as drafted, therefore any attempt to make it "more fair" by targeting one group of people is at best political rhetoric and most likely old fashioned populous class warfare (the lowest form of democracy).

Well, I'm personally in favor of no income tax for anyone and a VAT instead, but as long as we are taxing income, I'd rather not give the tax breaks to the billionaires. You should be taxed based upon how much you make each year. You shouldn't be able to save on taxes and use that money to get even wealthier.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »

Money becomes marginal for different people at different levels. I could quite easily get a second job at a quarter of my regular pay and make more money each year. The problem is, more money isn't really going to do me much good, and I value my time not working much more than I would having more money. I also enjoy more protection from all levels of government because I do have a job and do have some wealth.

The people who pay no income taxes are still paying money to the federal government through payroll taxes, including the incredibly regressive Social Security tax. Also the poor, while they may receive some assistance from the government, still don't have crap worth protecting. You and I can do all sorts of things knowing that we have protections provided by the government. Also the taxes we pay that go toward assisting poor people actually helps us as well since it lowers crime and we don't have to worry about our crap being stolen, vandalized etc.

There should be more tax brackets added for the higher incomes, with a maximum marginal rate of 45 percent at incomes of around $5 million or so, even then, maybe a handful of people would actually be paying something around 35 percent in taxes.

I was in the 28 percent bracket last year and ended up with an effective tax rate of about 16 percent. I get all sorts of deductions for doing crap that poor people can't even begin to afford. For example, I get to shelter a big chunk of change for retirement now and will most likely be able to pay less in taxes because my income will be less when I need it. Try doing that on $12 an hour while paying for health insurance, rent, etc.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »
There should be more tax brackets added for the higher incomes, with a maximum marginal rate of 45 percent at incomes of around $5 million or so, even then, maybe a handful of people would actually be paying something around 35 percent in taxes.

I was in the 28 percent bracket last year and ended up with an effective tax rate of about 16 percent. I get all sorts of deductions for doing crap that poor people can't even begin to afford. For example, I get to shelter a big chunk of change for retirement now and will most likely be able to pay less in taxes because my income will be less when I need it. Try doing that on $12 an hour while paying for health insurance, rent, etc.

This is where the real problem with our tax system lies. We really need a flat tax with no deductions, credits, or shelters, but it needs to be a graduated flat tax, if that makes any sense.

!0% for someone making $100k is easy,  but 10% for someone making $20k is impossible.

I would propose a 1% income tax for each $10k earned, so if you made $20k you would pay 2%, or $400, $30k would pay 3%, and so on up to 30% for 300k and above. No deductions, period.

Also, a flat 15% for corporate tax.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »

This is where the real problem with our tax system lies. We really need a flat tax with no deductions, credits, or shelters, but it needs to be a graduated flat tax, if that makes any sense.

!0% for someone making $100k is easy,  but 10% for someone making $20k is impossible.

I would propose a 1% income tax for each $10k earned, so if you made $20k you would pay 2%, or $400, $30k would pay 3%, and so on up to 30% for 300k and above. No deductions, period.

Might have to adjust those percentages a little bit. The person making $100k would be paying an effective tax rate of 5.5 percent, that's really tough to do even now with deductions.

I'd also favor no corporate tax with a national property tax on business properties before cutting it to 15 percent. Very few corps are paying anything close to 15 percent now anyways highlighted by GE, but more commonly S corps that don't carry over any, or very, little cash from year to year

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »

Might have to adjust those percentages a little bit. The person making $100k would be paying an effective tax rate of 5.5 percent, that's really tough to do even now with deductions.

I'd also favor no corporate tax with a national property tax on business properties before cutting it to 15 percent. Very few corps are paying anything close to 15 percent now anyways highlighted by GE, but more commonly S corps that don't carry over any, or very, little cash from year to year

The only econ class I have ever taken was engg econ, so you'll need to help me understand why it would not be a flat 10%, or $10k, for someone making $100k?

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »
You're trying to compare marginal tax rates to total tax rates. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »
You're trying to compare marginal tax rates to total tax rates. 

My tax plan would be strictly based on the total amount you accumulated during the tax year, none of this marginal stuff.