Author Topic: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?  (Read 506700 times)

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
Re: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?
« Reply #4050 on: February 01, 2019, 02:41:10 AM »
Tried it for dinner. Average to below-average Indian food. Would eat again.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: February 01, 2019, 09:59:29 AM »
The chutney was good, had the lamb vindaloo and it was good.  At first I thought that the wrap would not be enough food, but the lamb hit me hard when I left.  The white guy that served it up had a hilarious southern accent that really added something to the meal.  Overall better than most fast food and most fast casual except Chipotle.  I think it will go out of business soon though.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: February 15, 2019, 12:38:19 PM »
I had Bombay for lunch today and it was really good I thought. I got a wrap with chicken and veggies and some of the mild sauces. The green sauce, which was a mint type, was REALLY good. Will definitely go back.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: February 15, 2019, 05:07:04 PM »
going to the della voce re-brand tonight

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: February 18, 2019, 05:57:18 PM »
How was it KK?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: February 25, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »
la hacienda is rebuilding

in chapman

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: February 25, 2019, 07:28:13 PM »
How was it KK?

They had the Valentine's menu still so it was kind of limited because it was set up as a prix fixe menu but you could order entrees off of it. A couple things were "for two."  We ended up getting the amuse bouche which was a mozzorella/tomato/basil thing which was ok. Then my wife has the meatball pasta (kind of a bolognese, but with one huge meatball) that was pretty good, I got the cornish hen which was simple, but good.

Cocktails were good, I let the bartender make me some other whisky drink instead of the sazerac and it was fine.  wife had a gin martini that was fine.

Overall, I think I will go back because it has settled in as a value end of the "fine dining" in MHK.  We couldn't get reservations at Harry's day of, we didn't want to wait at B&B and the last time I went to Wine Dive the duck dish I ordered was flat out bad.

It doesn't have the wine list of Wine Dive or Harry's, its cocktails aren't as good as other places I would go for just drinks (Pool House is so great!) so I think it is now in the mix, but I would only go there for dinner.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: February 28, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
not sure if i missed this breaking news, congrats @MakeItRain

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/Wish-granted-Braums-building-a-new-location-in-Manhattan-506524151.html

MANHATTAN, Kan. (WIBW) — It may be freezing cold outside, but that's not stopping folks in Manhattan from getting excited that a beloved ice cream parlor's coming to town.

When Andrea Vandever replied to a City of Manhattan tweet asking what people would like to see most in the Little Apple by requesting a "braums, braums and about 10 more braums," she apparently didn't know the City was about to make her day.

They told her Braums is building a new location at Scenic Dr. and Anderson Ave., at the western edge of town. After Vandever confirmed they weren't pulling her leg and it was legit, she tweeted, "i'm crying. you made me so happy. i'm never leaving. ily"

Now, the City didn't say when the new Braums was opening. But with temperatures expected to be so cold this weekend that ice cream would probably warm you up, they probably have a little time before people are thinking it's ice cream weather.

Now, the City just needs 11 more to make Vandever's dream really come true (they did say money was no object).

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: February 28, 2019, 09:48:10 PM »
Why the eff would they put it all the way out there and make me waste so much gas to get there!?

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: February 28, 2019, 09:50:13 PM »
That place will be LIT after softball games during the summer. I bet Dairy Queen is pissed

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: March 01, 2019, 01:04:38 AM »
not sure if i missed this breaking news, congrats @MakeItRain

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/Wish-granted-Braums-building-a-new-location-in-Manhattan-506524151.html

MANHATTAN, Kan. (WIBW) — It may be freezing cold outside, but that's not stopping folks in Manhattan from getting excited that a beloved ice cream parlor's coming to town.

When Andrea Vandever replied to a City of Manhattan tweet asking what people would like to see most in the Little Apple by requesting a "braums, braums and about 10 more braums," she apparently didn't know the City was about to make her day.

They told her Braums is building a new location at Scenic Dr. and Anderson Ave., at the western edge of town. After Vandever confirmed they weren't pulling her leg and it was legit, she tweeted, "i'm crying. you made me so happy. i'm never leaving. ily"

Now, the City didn't say when the new Braums was opening. But with temperatures expected to be so cold this weekend that ice cream would probably warm you up, they probably have a little time before people are thinking it's ice cream weather.

Now, the City just needs 11 more to make Vandever's dream really come true (they did say money was no object).

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god, I might move back

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: March 01, 2019, 06:38:14 AM »
Big win for MHK.
:adios:

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: March 01, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »
braums is great.

good job by mhk getting them to come. good work from them right there.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: March 03, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »
What is so good about Braums?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: March 03, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »
Nothing, it sucks
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: March 03, 2019, 01:35:37 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: March 03, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »

A lot of my Braum's love is definitely rooted in my childhood. However, they do have a differentiator from other fast food chains. They process, package, and deliver all of their own milk, egg, and dairy products. They also produce most of the bakery items they sell. They are also one of the few, still existing chains that sell actual hard packed ice cream, not soft serve, not froyo, and certainly not incredibly overrated and overpriced marble slab ice cream. They do have soft serve and packaged froyo but they feature the hard stuff. They also have grocery in each store, all their own stuff. Their actual fast food, is good, not great.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: March 03, 2019, 02:12:25 PM »

A lot of my Braum's love is definitely rooted in my childhood. However, they do have a differentiator from other fast food chains. They process, package, and deliver all of their own milk, egg, and dairy products. They also produce most of the bakery items they sell. They are also one of the few, still existing chains that sell actual hard packed ice cream, not soft serve, not froyo, and certainly not incredibly overrated and overpriced marble slab ice cream. They do have soft serve and packaged froyo but they feature the hard stuff. They also have grocery in each store, all their own stuff. Their actual fast food, is good, not great.

By far the weirdest feature is seeing the elderly of Salina shuffling through the tiny aisles of the grocery while teenagers scarf down burgers and shakes in the dining area 5 feet away.  I don't see our retirees giving up Vista, but time will tell.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:35:08 PM by Kat Kid »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: March 03, 2019, 02:29:49 PM »

By far the weirdest feature is seeing the elderly of Salina shuffling through the tiny aisles of the grocery while teenagers scarf down burgers and shakes in the dining area 5 feet away.

:lol:  amaze descripto
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: March 04, 2019, 09:29:16 AM »
oh man, i shop the crap out of the baby grocery area* when i'm feeling too lazy to mess with dillons :frown:

* like when i need an onion or tomatoes or something

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: March 04, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »
Braum’s produce is good and if you are into all the toppings on a deliciously sloppy burger like I am they are BITB

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: March 04, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
My grandparents shopped at braums all the time. Special place in my heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: March 04, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »
It's been a long-time, but they have good cherry limeades, and the bag 'o burgers thing seemed liked a good deal.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: March 14, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »
Mama Deauxs, formerly known as Cafe du Qvondayez (sp?) is BACK! and had a very typical experience today with my good friend rick daris.  We were watching the cats at GAMEDAY (best west side townie bar post-Bobby T's) and decided to go check it out. 

Was there an open sign? yes
Was the door open? yes
Were there multiple kids just hanging out watching crap on a tablet? yes
Were they open? no, not until 5pm

Would you like to check out the menu? yes
Are you guys working and trying to get a quick order in for lunch? *check watch and see it is 3pm* No.
Well it usually takes 15 min because we make everything from scratch and some items take longer.   Ok, no problem.
What would you like to order?  Shrimp Etouffee and Cajun Seawfood Gumbo.
Ok that will be 18 min, I can bring it down to the bar if you want.  We can come get it, no worries.

~30 min later we both had a wonderful meal. 

We both ordered a full size platter/meal and the Gumbo was like 3x the serving size as the Etouffee, no clue why.  Both were really, really good.

I will definitely be back, zero chance I dine in unless I bring a deck of cards and maybe shuttle over for cocktails from GAMEDAY (unclear if they will get their liquor license, looks like beer only for now).

If everyone pledges to go there 1x a week and get one other person to go 1x a week we might just keep this place open this time despite themselves.

https://www.mamadeauxs.com/

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: March 14, 2019, 06:13:26 PM »
I will go with you on March 30th for lunch.  Also breakfast at the Chef that day.  Hopefully together we can keep each of these institutions open.
:adios: