Author Topic: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)  (Read 88176 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, 01:36:15 PM »
Fuji, Gala, and Honey Crisp

what rootstock?  you should plant a lot more, but not just dessert apple varieties.  i heard somewhere that in decent apple country you can expect about 5 tons of apples/acre in a good year.

probably was from a michigancat post or pm.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 01:43:44 PM »
probably was from a michigancat post or pm.

heh.  man, oh man, that would be elite.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »

what rootstock?  you should plant a lot more, but not just dessert apple varieties.  i heard somewhere that in decent apple country you can expect about 5 tons of apples/acre in a good year.
  I would have to look at the rootstock paper work.  I really don't have room for many more and I only like desser apple varieties so no need to plant others.  I realize these 3 are pretty similar but I like them.  I don't expect to get any thing from these trees for at least 3 years they were bareroot and not very big.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »

In the yard
Almond Tree

Would like to know more about the Almond tree.  Are you in ks?  When/how many nuts does it produce?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »

I would have to look at the rootstock paper work.  I really don't have room for many more and I only like desser apple varieties so no need to plant others.  I realize these 3 are pretty similar but I like them.  I don't expect to get any thing from these trees for at least 3 years they were bareroot and not very big.

yeah, i prolly would have gone w. the honeycrisp plus some more exotic varities.  seems like fuji & gala are pretty common grocerystore apples (no offense).  plus definitely some baking apples and cider apples.  i mean, come on.

do these varieties do well in kansas?  are you in kansas?  the honeycrisp, at least, is a northerner and kansas seems like pretty poor apple country (no offense).

are these dwarfs?  seems like the dwarfs would be easy to pick, but aesthetically, they just don't hit the spot, you know.  i mean who wants to pick an apple from their apple bush, if you know what i mean.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »

In the yard
Almond Tree

Would like to know more about the Almond tree.  Are you in ks?  When/how many nuts does it produce?

Yes, I'm in Kansas, this is the tree's 3rd season, so this is the year it is supposed to start producing delicious almonds.  (Really hope some come out honey-roasted, but I heard you have to have the right kind of bees to make them?)  Between 5-10 years of age it is supposed to be at maximum production, and if all goes well supposedly 20 bushels/year.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »

yeah, i prolly would have gone w. the honeycrisp plus some more exotic varities.  seems like fuji & gala are pretty common grocerystore apples (no offense).  plus definitely some baking apples and cider apples.  i mean, come on.

do these varieties do well in kansas?  are you in kansas?  the honeycrisp, at least, is a northerner and kansas seems like pretty poor apple country (no offense).

are these dwarfs?  seems like the dwarfs would be easy to pick, but aesthetically, they just don't hit the spot, you know.  i mean who wants to pick an apple from their apple bush, if you know what i mean.
  I think I will add another one or two next year what do you suggeset?  My parents apple tress produces many bushle every year of apples (red delicious).  If you have a good pie apple that might work in Ks I might think about it.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 09:42:02 AM »
I have my tomato plants in planters right below my back deck.  In the morning, when I clean out my french press, I dump my grounds right on top of them.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
What is everyone planting this year?  I'm going to put in two roma tomato plants and a bunch of herbs (basil and cilantro mostly).  I'm also giving myself the option of planting one chile plant and one green pepper plant but haven't committed.  Anyone have a good recommendo for a versatile chile to plant that isn't a jalapeno, habanero or serrano? 

Gardening seems like a little too much physical labor for you.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
What is everyone planting this year?  I'm going to put in two roma tomato plants and a bunch of herbs (basil and cilantro mostly).  I'm also giving myself the option of planting one chile plant and one green pepper plant but haven't committed.  Anyone have a good recommendo for a versatile chile to plant that isn't a jalapeno, habanero or serrano? 

Gardening seems like a little too much physical labor for you.

it's pretty easy.  my sprinklers hit the place where I put the stuff so I'm not watering or anything. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 01:04:45 PM »
If you have a good pie apple that might work in Ks I might think about it.

you should try this one, if you can find it anywhere.

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/calville-blanc-dhiver

if not, maybe a stayman's winesap?  seems like it'd be kinda good and it was developed in kansas.

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/staymans-winesap

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
So ben ji's little brother works at a greenhouse and pretty much has free range to take any plant he wants to see how they will do in an actual garden.

Over the past month he has probably brought over $500 worth of plants to my house including some fancy tropical ones like a hibiscus tree, cape honeysuckle and a sago palm. These have all been potted and will have to be kept in the garage during the winter.

He also brought a ton of perrienials(sp), finished the front garden last week and just planted some along my shed in the backyard.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »
So ben ji's little brother works at a greenhouse and pretty much has free range to take any plant he wants to see how they will do in an actual garden.

Over the past month he has probably brought over $500 worth of plants to my house including some fancy tropical ones like a hibiscus tree, cape honeysuckle and a sago palm. These have all been potted and will have to be kept in the garage during the winter.

He also brought a ton of perennials, finished the front garden last week and just planted some along my shed in the backyard.

go kill the sago immediately.  don't take any chances.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »

He also brought a ton of perennials, finished the front garden last week and just planted some along my shed in the backyard.

go kill the sago immediately.  don't take any chances.

Take any chances?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 09:06:45 AM »
The seeds of the sago palm are highly poisonous

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
The seeds of the sago palm are highly poisonous

Gotcha, read about that and keep it in the front yard so lady doesnt get into it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 09:22:24 AM »
Take any chances?

that it might live.  they're evil plants.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 09:23:09 AM »
Stuff i planted along shed.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
O whats that, a hibiscus tree that is gonna be awesome? Yep!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
If you want some pro-tips, I would gladly give you some. I am guessing your bro has probably given you some already. The first thing you need to know is that the hibiscus tree should be watered every day once the weather warms up. You should have used a bigger pot. For several years I had hibiscus trees in some large 3 ft tall pots. They are a cool plant, but in the heat of summer they drink lots of water. I run drip irrigation to all of my plants so I don't have to mess with watering anything. I leave for a week, come home and everything still looks awesome.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:49 AM »
So in the span of 2 years sd went from planting healthy garden plants to crushing fast food and grossing clams out.

hmmmmm

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »
If you want some pro-tips, I would gladly give you some. I am guessing your bro has probably given you some already. The first thing you need to know is that the hibiscus tree should be watered every day once the weather warms up. You should have used a bigger pot. For several years I had hibiscus trees in some large 3 ft tall pots. They are a cool plant, but in the heat of summer they drink lots of water. I run drip irrigation to all of my plants so I don't have to mess with watering anything. I leave for a week, come home and everything still looks awesome.

I'm definitely going to repot the hibiscus, had already used all my large pots when my brother dropped it off.

What did you do with it during the winter? I just plan on moving it next to a window in the garage.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2013, 10:28:20 AM »
ben ji, you probably attended 2nd grade at an american elementary school, so you already know this, but there's a certain type of aquatic animal that's traditionally used as fertilizer.  might be the solution to your problem.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
ben ji, you probably attended 2nd grade at an american elementary school, so you already know this, but there's a certain type of aquatic animal that's traditionally used as fertilizer.  might be the solution to your problem.

lol
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »

I also have an adorable dog who would love nothing more than to dig up my freshly planted garden looking for buried fish.