Author Topic: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)  (Read 89041 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2014, 09:29:36 AM »
so my lettuces are behemoth but i am realizing that i basically never want to eat lettuce unless it's on a BLT

Confirmed, this is why gardening is a total waste of time, unless you're planting a beautiful Crepe Myrtle tree, of course.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »
Got motivated today and put a border around some flowers in the back yard.

Dug about a 2 inch trench for the stones(purchased at Wal-Mart for 1.58 each) and layed some sand to even it out.

The flowers were at ground level before so I added a couple inches of soil from my compost pile then put some mulch (purchased at Wal-Mart for 2.88 a bag) on top.

The perennials were just cut back so hopefully it will be "popping" again come fall.

I have an area on the other side of the yard that I plan on doing the same thing later in the fall.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
This is what it looked like last year.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2014, 09:00:22 PM »
Guys my zucchini will get 6 or 7 inches long and then die. We've done everything, help

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Guys my zucchini will get 6 or 7 inches long and then die. We've done everything, help

plow it under, replant in mints.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
What kind of plant/flower is this?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »
Anyone? I tried to look if up on the interwebs and didn't find the answer. Bees and butterflies seem to love it!

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »
Got me at first thought it looked like a lavender plant on steroids but I have no idea

Picked some basil for my sketti today and it was glorious

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
What kind of plant/flower is this?

Liatris, aka "Blazing Star" or "Gayfeather."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liatris

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57:13 PM »
Cool if I post these here? First year garden planted with the girlfriend, mainly to feed our salsa habit. So here are some shots of most of our peppers...

Cayenne:

Poblano(just starting to com in):

Serrano:

Jalepeno:

And hot banana:

Pretty happy with just how well these are all producing! Any tips/tricks/advice is more than welcome.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »
Take it to the white Appalachian thread.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2014, 08:35:03 PM »
Take it to the white Appalachian thread.

:frown:

:buh-bye:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 28, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
Don't bring your ass back in here until you have pics of your bhut jolokia to display.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 28, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »
squirrels took my first round of tomatoes.  round two coming in now.  I will murder some squirrels if I don't get any.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 28, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »
Squirrels are better than tomatoes,  imo.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 28, 2014, 10:09:41 PM »
Pretty happy with just how well these are all producing! Any tips/tricks/advice is more than welcome.

I'm not sure you need any tips for right now--those things look like they're producing well. If you want, you can always add a layer of compost to the top, an inch or so. This will slow-feed the plants for the rest of the season.

At the end of the season, you can try to perennialize your peppers by digging up some of your favorites and putting them in a bright window in your house or under some grow-lights in the garage. You might get a few peppers over the course of the winter, and then you can put them out after the last freeze to get more peppers, faster. You can either leave them in the pot to save garden space or you can replant them into the ground. You can easily get a pepper plant to live 5+ years, which will have you an Ms. cDubya eating all kinds of salsa.

Here's an article about how to do it: http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=835. I'm not sure I would go to all the trouble in the article, but it's a good start.

squirrels took my first round of tomatoes.  round two coming in now.  I will murder some squirrels if I don't get any.
Ts and Ps, Cire. You can do a few things to keep the squirrels away from your delicious blue-ribbon tomatoes:
-Buy a plastic hawk/falcon (~$15 from Amazon)
-Buy a bottle of coyote urine and spread it around the edge of your garden ($15 for 8 oz at Home Depot)
-Get a motion-activated sprinkler (~$50 at Amazon--especially good for cats and dogs)
-Hang red glass Christmas ornaments from your tomato plants (mainly for birds, tho)

Go 'Cats, ftb.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »
c-dubs peppers look great

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:25 PM »
c-dubs peppers look great

Yeah,

I effing love poblano, will be in the 'arden next year.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »
Don't bring your ass back in here until you have pics of your bhut jolokia to display.

Couldn't get any this year. Went to half a dozen local greenhouses and none had them in stock. Didn't want to go online for them. You just wait til next yer, though!

I'm not sure you need any tips for right now--those things look like they're producing well. If you want, you can always add a layer of compost to the top, an inch or so. This will slow-feed the plants for the rest of the season.

At the end of the season, you can try to perennialize your peppers by digging up some of your favorites and putting them in a bright window in your house or under some grow-lights in the garage. You might get a few peppers over the course of the winter, and then you can put them out after the last freeze to get more peppers, faster. You can either leave them in the pot to save garden space or you can replant them into the ground. You can easily get a pepper plant to live 5+ years, which will have you an Ms. cDubya eating all kinds of salsa.

Here's an article about how to do it: http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=835. I'm not sure I would go to all the trouble in the article, but it's a good start.

Thanks, WM!

And thanks for the compliments guys. Already made one batch of salsa, but the tomatoes are just now starting to turn, so it's about to be game on!

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2015, 10:36:10 PM »
You ever perennialize those pepps, @cDubya?

Put in a lot of work today, guys. Had some raised beds put in a few weeks ago (straight steve dave-ing it) and planted the following this weekend:

-Fig tree
-Three types of citrus
-Pomegranate tree
-Spinach
-Mustard Greens
-Romaine
-Bell peppers
-Serrano Peppers
-Tomatoes
-Beans (pole)
-Kale
-Assorted pretty flowers

Living that Zone 8+ life is pretty great.

Lime tree has not adjusted well to the transplanting, hoping it pulls through. Also planted some blueberries recently.

Any of you NorthernCats starting seeds indoors? Planning any big garden expansions for the Spring?  :drool:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2015, 11:03:47 PM »
How hard is it to plant lettuce/kale/broccoli/spinach from seed? Last year I just bought some small plants but i feel like i need to start them from seed to be a real white Midwesterner.

Should I get the seeds to sprout indoors? I did this with some beans in wet paper towels last year and it worked kind of good.

Do I just put the seeds in little cups of dirt by the window until they sprout?

What about just planting them in my raised garden bed? If this is the correct answer when should I start them?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2015, 06:02:48 AM »
Start with the paper towels, cheese cloth etc.  Transfer to cups and grow until it's warm enough

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2015, 07:25:10 AM »
How hard is it to plant lettuce/kale/broccoli/spinach from seed? Last year I just bought some small plants but i feel like i need to start them from seed to be a real white Midwesterner.

What about just planting them in my raised garden bed? If this is the correct answer when should I start them?

The greens you should definitely sow directly outdoors in your raised bed. They grow super fast and make you feel like a manly man in just a couple of weeks (manly man thread crosspost). Herbs can also be grown from seed easily. Not sure about the broccoli, I've never tried it from seed.

Basically anything you need to know about gardening in KS was compiled here by the world's greatest research institution:
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/bookstore/pubs/S51.pdf

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2015, 11:53:29 PM »
Um, hey guys? The Liriodendron trees are blooming all over the New Orleans garden district and it's fracking lovely. :love:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tulip+trees&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vr_qVNHaCZexogSAhoDoDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=600
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12