Author Topic: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)  (Read 88206 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: sd white/non-white midwestern thread topic of the day (garden)
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »
Looks great, ben ji. This thread + your work in the fishing thread makes me think we'd be great IRL buds.

Some ideas to take your garden from Matt Miller-level to Jonathan Beasley-level and beyond:

-I would throw some pine straw, compost, or dead leaves on top of that soil so you don't lose moisture so quickly and so you don't have to weed. Don't use wood mulch--the other stuff I mentioned will slow feed your plants.
-You can plant more! Plant some peas, beans, or cukes to run along that chicken wire. Beans and peas are super easy to start from seed, cukes would probably need starters. Can you imagine pickling your own cukes and eating them with Lady while you catch dinner?  :love:
-You can sow some more spinach or lettuce seeds around the ones you already have--that way you can eat lettuce all spring, rather than just getting one crop out of it. Plus, neither of those plants need as much space as you're giving them right now.
-I'm also a little worried about you growing so many cool-weather plants that will be ready to eat right when the weather gets hot. Is that broccoli going to bear anything, or will it go straight to flower? ( :sad:) I might start some peppers in a pot right now, that way it gets nice and big before the summer--plus, if the broccoli is fine, you can keep the pepper in a pot and bring it inside for the winter and perennialize it!

Yes, definitely planning on adding on to it. I'm off the next couple of days and will plant some green beans and snap pea's along the chicken wire. I read online that you can plant climbing beans in pots and use a tomato cage as the growth structure so I might try that as well.

I was under the assumption that I could continuously pick leaves off the Kale/spinach/lettuce and they would keep growing back until it gets super hot out. Is this incorrect?

The empty part of the garden is reserved for pepper(green and jalepno) plants that I will probably plant soon. My lil bro works at the growhouse for a nursery and brings home flats of extra plants that aren't up to "retail" grade. I usually dont get these until mid june but when I do get them I will replace all the "cool weather" crops with cucumbers/peppers/whatever shows up.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
Guyz, my bean/pea plants have sprouted and im super pumped.

Also the perennials I planted last year are looking like complete studs.

Go cats!

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
Ben Ji. Do you still have a hookup? I need about 6 good outdoor flowering plant and one or two more good indoor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:50 PM »
eff this thread!  Hail storm last week shredded my tomatoes, irises, and day lillys.  The only thing left standing was some garlic that I didn't even plant. 

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2014, 10:43:29 PM »
eff this thread!  Hail storm last week shredded my tomatoes, irises, and day lillys.  The only thing left standing was some garlic that I didn't even plant. 
sorry to hear about your day lillys, bloodfart.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2014, 12:56:02 AM »
it's hotter than hell and i'm not home to water anything.  i hope my tomatoes and basils survive.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2014, 08:53:37 AM »
it's hotter than hell and i'm not home to water anything.  i hope my tomatoes and basils survive.
http://www.orbitonline.com/

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »
Yeah, decided to nix the seed idea and buy some that had already sprouted.

First row is kale, second row is spinach, third row is lettuce and 4/5th row is broccoli.

I"'ll probably replace whatever doesn't do well with peppers and other things once summer gets here.

GROW PLANTS GROW!

My actual garden is looking like a boss hog.

Ive been eating spinach and green leaf lettuce salads for the past month (made a HUGE bowl for mothers day) and still have plenty left.

The big leafs you see in the middle is broccoli, just starting to crown now.

I have some green beans and sugar snap pea's that just sprouted along the edges. Im hoping the chicken wire will be enough structure for them to climb on. Also have some growing in those pots along the outside.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2014, 12:44:37 AM »
http://www.orbitonline.com/

the yard and some of the shrubs are on sprinklers, the tomatoes aren't.  they were pretty stressed and wilted, but i think they'll recover ok.  might lose some baby tomatoes on one of the plants.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2014, 12:47:19 AM »
Man, I don't give a crap about gardening, but lady is bitb  :D
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »
Man, I don't give a crap about gardening, but lady is bitb  :D

you're absolutely right.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »
i'm definitely potting my mint this year after basically letting it take over a few hundred sqft last year :sdeek:
I bet your yard smelled amazing after you mowed it :love:

tough luck having some plant that is the most awesome and amazing plant in the world that smells and tastes great taking over your yard and crowding out all your useless and shitty plant-smelling plants.  hopefully everyone learns from this horror story.

Not sure how but some mint plants started growing on the side of my house. I pulled up around half but left some so I could make some tasty mojito's and use them in other cooking dishes.

Sometimes when I'm out working in the yard I will pull a couple leaves off and chew them  :Carl:.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »

lol

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »
planted my crops yesterday  :surprised:

tomatoes, peas, onions, radishes, and some salad bullshit

also got squash and cucumber I need to get down.

ALSO I got some asparagus crowns, but punimrs and I are having trouble compromising on the location for these basically permanent installations.

I am ready to reap what mother nature has to offer me

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
you were supposed to plant this stuff in march and april. let me know if it works outs.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »

lol

This is not a laughing matter, but all is forgiven.  My plants have made a complete recovery and doing well.  The tomatos are actually setting on better than my dad's.   :Woot:

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »
How do you green thumbs out there stress your tomato plants?  Our neighbor says she beats her plants with a broom.  She's really old and might be crazy tho.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »
you were supposed to plant this stuff in march and april. let me know if it works outs.

Regardless of the spring planting propaganda, my garden is now probably dead after one day of lethal drowning. Thanks a bunch, mother rough riding nature.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2014, 07:24:53 PM »
Garden will take a hit with this monsoon

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2014, 08:17:11 PM »
My sugar snap peas and grean bean plants are growing like crazy.

Ima be eating like a king here in a couple of months.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2014, 08:30:43 PM »
Anyone else ever used a wicking water system in an above ground planter? They are really nice.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2014, 10:09:02 PM »
How do you green thumbs out there stress your tomato plants?  Our neighbor says she beats her plants with a broom.  She's really old and might be crazy tho.

to get them to flower?  i've never noticed that they needed encouragement, but i'd probably do something weird like give them some low n fertilizer instead of hitting them, if i felt they needed it.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »

to get them to flower?  i've never noticed that they needed encouragement, but i'd probably do something weird like give them some low n fertilizer instead of hitting them, if i felt they needed it.
Also interested, i'm planning on being alot more diligent on pulling out the sucker sprouts on my tomatoes this year, don't know if i should be doing more.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 09, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »

Also interested, i'm planning on being alot more diligent on pulling out the sucker sprouts on my tomatoes this year, don't know if i should be doing more.

i've heard that that's a wives tale.  like the energy expended in growing the suckers is replaced and more by the energy gained from the additional leaf mass.   :dunno:  they pretty much produce shitloads no matter what you do, though.  super easy plant.

but i'd maybe/prolly do it late in the year if i thought the new growth wouldn't have time to produce anything before cold weather.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2014, 11:32:11 PM »
did not touch my garden this year.  shaping up to be a fantastic mint crop :excited: