Author Topic: spring game recap  (Read 13972 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: spring game recap
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2011, 05:54:59 PM »
Jessie Tuggle looked amazing

Justin's dad was at the game?  Was he on the sidelines or in one of the suites??    :ksu:
in the crowd, dude is in SHAPE

Offline ZmoneyKSU

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2011, 10:20:38 PM »
http://www.kitchenkc.com/

K-State's strong in spring game, so...what does that mean?
If you let yourself believe in the spring game, which seems a bit reckless at best and potentially disastrous at worst, the Kansas State Wildcats may not only be improved in 2011; they could be a big-time player in the Big 12.

But, if you take the conservative route and prefer to view the spring time exhibition for what it really is - a simple, controlled chance for guys to put pads on and play in front of fans for the first time in months - then Saturday's game, while exciting and fun, did little more than whet the football appetite. 

It sure didn't answer any questions except there's no doubting the overall talent level has risen.  But enough to believe? That's much tougher, though it seems most purple and white fans are ready to board that ship.

Prior to the game, energy in the parking lot was good - the best it has been probably since Cirque de Ron Prince brought carnival rides and barbeque. This year? No rides. No contests. Just football. Are people fine with that? Damn right they are. It feels K-State right...but second-hand so - like in the sense of how you remember it feeling a long time ago.  You aren't sure if it's the exact same, or to the same level, but the memory it evokes, plus the sprinkling of desperation from wanting to be on top again, make many believe the Wildcats are again on the right path.

But, as it is just about the football now (again), the expectation and focus has risen as KSU continues to use LHC Bill Snyder's first reclamation timeline as a gauge to whether the second go-round is working. Is it a fair timeline? No. Is it the unfair heavier responsibility that comes with having past results? Yep, and it's the standard being used by more than the average fan.

KSU color analyst Stan Weber verbalized as much after the Purple's steak-earning 37-36 victory, saying this team now reminds him of the mid-90s, when the program was full of solid players and waiting for a couple to step up and lead them to the next level. Weber made it sound not as an if, but as if it was just a matter of time. He believes.

Then again, maybe he should.  Maybe it's time.

Bryce Brown, who virtually everyone points to as an example that K-State is on the verge of being back, was impressive in limited opportunities, racking up 73 yards on 13 carries. His older brother, Arthur, who has somehow already become the face of next year's defense without playing a KSU snap, was credited with 14 tackles on Saturday.

As much as fans thought the scene felt right, the elder Brown echoed the thought after the game.

"This is my home," Brown said.  "I feel good. I feel comfortable here.  I had the time to really readjust myself and regather myself.  So, yeah, I feel great."

The receivers looked fast.  Collin Klein, for about 90 percent of the game, looked as if he's ready to take over the starting quarterback slot, throwing for 358 yards and five touchdowns. Tre Walker flowed to the ball from his linebacker spot. Brandon Klimek and Anthony Cantele combined to assault the uprights from 40 and 50 yards out. Newcomer Meshak Williams was a wrecking ball against the second team from his defensive end spot.

And Sheldon Smith's 138 receiving yards were better than Tramaine Thompson's 106.

See how easy it is? See how easy it is to fall in love with the numbers and think K-State might just be on the verge of not another bowl game, but maybe knocking on Oklahoma's and Missouri's and Texas' and Oklahoma State's door?

It's so very tempting, especially when the players don't say anything to debunk the good vibe.

"I think we took positive steps on offense and defense, White team and Purple team," cornerback David Garret said.  "I feel like everybody got a little bit better today."

The numbers make it very hard to argue against Garret, but again, it comes down to how much you believe in a spring game.

After Saturday, call me skeptically positive.
Posted by Curtis Kitchen

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »
http://www.kitchenkc.com/

Prior to the game, energy in the parking lot was good - the best it has been probably since Cirque de Ron Prince brought carnival rides and barbeque. This year? No rides. No contests. Just football. Are people fine with that? Damn right they are. It feels K-State right...but second-hand so - like in the sense of how you remember it feeling a long time ago.  You aren't sure if it's the exact same, or to the same level, but the memory it evokes, plus the sprinkling of desperation from wanting to be on top again, make many believe the Wildcats are again on the right path.

gonna need a shovel to get out of that article.

Offline tjames

• Fan
  • WILDCARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
handshake TD celebration was great.
Please tell me that that was a poke/reference to the BS salute call during the Pinhead Bowl.  If so, DO IT ALL YEAR LONG AFTER EVERY TOUCHDOWN.
“All right, later dudes. S you in your A’s, don’t wear a C, and J all over your B’s.”

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Please tell me that that was a poke/reference to the BS salute call during the Pinhead Bowl.  If so, DO IT ALL YEAR LONG AFTER EVERY TOUCHDOWN.

:dubious:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2011, 12:53:50 PM »

this probably isn't the bbs for you

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
Sniff, sniff.  I smell some PI!!

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
See you all, everyone, at the 2012 Spring Game in newly renovated Snyder Stadium, sometime in April or May.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:04:36 PM by PoetWarrior »