Author Topic: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )  (Read 1330447 times)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC
« Reply #6475 on: December 09, 2013, 08:10:52 PM »
Mike Kuhn ?@downthebyline 1m
So does #SportingKC try to bring in local GK, Gruenbaum? Makes more sense than people saying Knighton

Great point by Mike. Would definitely take Andy Gruenebaum. I still want to look into Gspurning. Tweeted him. We will see what he says. I always trust Mike Kuhn. Hopefully he responds.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: December 09, 2013, 08:26:08 PM »
s_c's Sporting Legend Wish List:

Kerry Zavagnin
Peter Vermes

Jack Jewsbury
Davy Arnaud
Mo Johnston
Jimmy Nielsen
Matt Besler

Graham Zusi
Jimmy Conrad
Josh Wolff

Honorable mentions: Espinoza and Sinovic

Of course, not all will be inducted, so I bolded the ones I think are locks.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »
s_c's Sporting Legend Wish List:

Kerry Zavagnin
Peter Vermes

Jack Jewsbury
Davy Arnaud
Mo Johnston
Jimmy Nielsen
Matt Besler

Graham Zusi
Jimmy Conrad
Josh Wolff

Honorable mentions: Espinoza and Sinovic

Of course, not all will be inducted, so I bolded the ones I think are locks.

Zusi will be if he stays 2 more season and goes on to a good national team career imo. Seth is only honorable because he is a KC guy imo. Conrad is helped by his almost cultish following his career. I agree with everything for the most part.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: December 09, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »
Feel free to add more. Yeah, I have just always had a soft spot for Seth. Probably third favorite player behind Haitian Xavi and Nagamura.

EDIT: Fwiw, I don't think Seth has earned it at this point, but he strikes me as a guy who could definitely finish his career here. He's one of the best LBs in the league already. Being only 26, we could be looking at another 6 or 7 years easily. That would get him in the conversation for sure.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: December 09, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »
was jewsbury pretty highly regarded, or was a lot of it longevity/"local kid"?  i enjoyed having him on the team and can't think of someone i'd rather have in that spot, but i hold a lot of the other players on this list in higher regard.  loved arnaud when he was here, haven't really followed him at all in canadia

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6480 on: December 09, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
was jewsbury pretty highly regarded, or was a lot of it longevity/"local kid"?  i enjoyed having him on the team and can't think of someone i'd rather have in that spot, but i hold a lot of the other players on this list in higher regard.  loved arnaud when he was here, haven't really followed him at all in canadia

Captain Jack was basically on my list solely because he played here for like eight seasons which I realize is terrible logic considering how long Eric Kronberg has been here. Yeah, that list was in no particular order. He'd probably be last on the list.

Davy was pretty good in 2012 in Montreal. This season, didn't play a ton. Had the first goal of the entire MLS season in Seattle (actually was a pretty great goal). Didn't score the rest of the year.

Arnaud's only goal in 2013:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:52:26 PM by sunny_cat »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: December 09, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: December 09, 2013, 10:21:28 PM »
Aurélien Collin, champion of the North American Hockey League (MLS) Saturday with Kansas City and Finals MVP, told his desire to return to Europe on Monday in Luis Attack on RMC. "I left there to go better. Today I'm better that three years ago, says French defender 27 years. I hope some great opportunities will arise. If I come back, this is something big. The highest level in Europe. My game is more suited to England and Germany, I love physical contact. I grew up in the Paris suburbs, I hope one day the PSG. But it is a little too far for me right now. "

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/info/551077/collin-j-espere-psg/

Here's more Collin rumors. I'll see if I can find that article from about a month ago too.

Here it is: http://www.soccernews.com/mls-star-hints-at-move-to-europe/131751/

Quote from: Aurelien Collin
I have a contract for another year, and of course I want to return to Europe. Major European championships attract me. Big MLS clubs like New York and Los Angeles want me, but my ambition is to play at a good level in Europe, this winter.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: December 09, 2013, 10:25:26 PM »
Aurélien Collin, champion of the North American Hockey League (MLS) Saturday with Kansas City and Finals MVP, told his desire to return to Europe on Monday in Luis Attack on RMC. "I left there to go better. Today I'm better that three years ago, says French defender 27 years. I hope some great opportunities will arise. If I come back, this is something big. The highest level in Europe. My game is more suited to England and Germany, I love physical contact. I grew up in the Paris suburbs, I hope one day the PSG. But it is a little too far for me right now. "

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/info/551077/collin-j-espere-psg/

Here's more Collin rumors. I'll see if I can find that article from about a month ago too.

If a top league side from France England or Germany wanna pay for him I guess go for it. I have a feeling we will need to make some decent signings this offseason. Could be seeing a lot of guys leaving.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: December 09, 2013, 10:27:07 PM »
If a top league side from France England or Germany wanna pay for him I guess go for it. I have a feeling we will need to make some decent signings this offseason. Could be seeing a lot of guys leaving.

Same. Opara will be a great replacement. I love Opara so much. And we have Olum who we could maybe convert back to CB. Then there's the young CBs, Erik Palmer-Brown and Brendan Ruiz. Think that's it.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: December 09, 2013, 10:37:45 PM »
I just like painting the wall and Champions League. My way too early predicto doesn't think either will happen next year.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: December 09, 2013, 10:38:36 PM »
S_C I love Opara a lot too

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: December 09, 2013, 10:40:06 PM »
I just like painting the wall and Champions League. My way too early predicto doesn't think either will happen next year.

Yeah, Cruz Azul is going to mush us pretty hard. MLS Cup is always a possibility. We will qualify for the playoffs.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: December 09, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »
S_C I love Opara a lot too

His 97th min stoppage time winner in SLC is the reason we won MLS Cup. THE REASON. His vertical is unreal. He's fast AF. Him and Besler make a great pair.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: December 09, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »
This is a passing of the torch off season. Zusi often times is the best player on the pitch. Fielhaber too. Time for one of them to earn a legit captain role

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
This is a passing of the torch off season. Zusi often times is the best player on the pitch. Fielhaber too. Time for one of them to earn a legit captain role

Besler will be the captain in 2014. Right, sw?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: December 09, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »
We need to sign someone that can consistently put it in the back of the net. I love Dom, CJ, Claudio and all, but they aren't true goal scorers...we need to find a Preki/Kamara/Bravo if we're going to chase the cup again next season. I'm hoping that some of our younger guys really step it up, but i'm not convinced yet.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: December 09, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »
We need to sign someone that can consistently put it in the back of the net. I love Dom, CJ, Claudio and all, but they aren't true goal scorers...we need to find a Preki/Kamara/Bravo if we're going to chase the cup again next season. I'm hoping that some of our younger guys really step it up, but i'm not convinced yet.

LOL at Claudio not being a true goal-scorer. Also, Dom is too. He just hasn't had the minutes to prove it.

Also, LOL at Preki and Kamara being in the same sentence. Kei is no "true goal scorer." He had some of the worst shot accuracies in league history.

Soony and Dom are both "true goal scorers" as well as Bieler.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:48 PM »

LOL at Claudio not being a true goal-scorer. Also, Dom is too. He just hasn't had the minutes to prove it.

Also, LOL at Preki and Kamara being in the same sentence. Kei is no "true goal scorer." He had some of the worst shot accuracies in league history.

Soony and Dom are both "true goal scorers" as well as Bieler.

I have a feeling that Claudio is gone anyway. How is Kamara not deserving of being a true goal scorer? Had he stayed and continued at his current pace, he would have been on track to score as many as Preki. Preki finished with 71 goals in 218 games and Kei was at 38/113. Their shot accuracies are on pace with each other as well.

Dom is without a doubt our next star if he can stay healthy. I'm still hesitant with Soony though.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6495 on: December 09, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
You can make a case for Kei, but he shouldn't be in the same category as Bravo, Bieler, or Preki.

I'm not sure how much you've been keeping up with this thread, but Dom told an English newspaper he's going on loan to a second tier English team - possibly on transfer.

Soony is great. He will get significant PT next season and prove you wrong. He is a serious difference maker when he comes off the bench, and he's good when a starter too.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
You can make a case for Kei, but he shouldn't be in the same category as Bravo, Bieler, or Preki.

I'm not sure how much you've been keeping up with this thread, but Dom told an English newspaper he's going on loan to a second tier English team - possibly on transfer.

Soony is great. He will get significant PT next season and prove you wrong. He is a serious difference maker when he comes off the bench, and he's good when a starter too.

Dom is good, but not EPL or even second tier English good. He'll get to ride some pine over there then he'll come back and realize he belongs here. I still absolutely think that Kei belongs in the same category as Bravo, Preki and Bieler. We'll never know because the sample size was different for all...so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Soony will be a work in progress, but I really like the swag and enthusiasm he brings off the bench and I hope that translates well when he starts.

I try to keep up with the thread quite a bit, but I don't post in here very much as i'm a pretty straight shooter and that often times gets misread and big arguments start instead of talking about the actual "meat" of the thread.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: December 09, 2013, 11:14:28 PM »
i wish we could keep dom around - personally (and unpopularly), i prefer him to bieler. dunno that i'd consider kei a true "goal scorer" - to me his real value is ability to effectively hold up play and link up.  absolutely love him and his style to death, but he just marshal henderson'd shots when he didn't get any support.  i agree that soony is underrated and hope for good things from him

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: December 09, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
I try to keep up with the thread quite a bit, but I don't post in here very much as i'm a pretty straight shooter and that often times gets misread and big arguments start instead of talking about the actual "meat" of the thread.

it wasn't often, it was like your only post in this thread.  if you post more than once about sporting and less about touting when people here are begging for tickets you'll do ok

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: December 09, 2013, 11:19:13 PM »
i wish we could keep dom around - personally (and unpopularly), i prefer him to bieler. dunno that i'd consider kei a true "goal scorer" - to me his real value is ability to effectively hold up play and link up.  absolutely love him and his style to death, but he just marshal henderson'd shots when he didn't get any support.  i agree that soony is underrated and hope for good things from him

OMG YES

Tbh, I kinda thought everyone realized how good Soony is/will be. :dunno:

And agreed, Kei was tall, fast athlete that sent in decent crosses, was good in the air, help up play (not as effectively as CJ), and shot fifteen times a game.