Author Topic: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )  (Read 1331566 times)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC
« Reply #3000 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »
At its recent congress in the Bahamas, FIFA, the sport’s world governing body, changed its eligibility rules for senior internationals. Now, playing at the youth international level (under-17 and under-21) does not preclude a player from petitioning FIFA for a one-time change, providing that the player had dual citizenship when he initially participated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/sports/soccer/16goal.html?_r=0

better article more clear. Soony can switch back if he never plays in a official tournament or qualifier

So this doesn't count as his one-time change? Where in there does it say he can change twice if he hasn't played in a competitive match?

EDIT: I understand that since Jermaine Jones only played for Germany in friendlies, he was allowed to switch, but Soony has played for the United States, and is NOW making his "one-time change" to Lebanon, friendlies or not. So he'd be going from US->Lebanon->US. Jermaine Jones only played for Germany. Then switched ONCE to the US.. I don't think it matters if they're friendlies or not.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:06:20 AM by sunny_cat »

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: May 28, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »
http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/news/article/13-05-28-club-statement-836647.aspx

So Roberto Martinez is probably gone. Roger needs to come back. No way they regain promotion without Martinez. Espinoza will be stuck in the depths of the Championship.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: May 28, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
At its recent congress in the Bahamas, FIFA, the sport’s world governing body, changed its eligibility rules for senior internationals. Now, playing at the youth international level (under-17 and under-21) does not preclude a player from petitioning FIFA for a one-time change, providing that the player had dual citizenship when he initially participated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/sports/soccer/16goal.html?_r=0

better article more clear. Soony can switch back if he never plays in a official tournament or qualifier

So this doesn't count as his one-time change? Where in there does it say he can change twice if he hasn't played in a competitive match?

EDIT: I understand that since Jermaine Jones only played for Germany in friendlies, he was allowed to switch, but Soony has played for the United States, and is NOW making his "one-time change" to Lebanon, friendlies or not. So he'd be going from US->Lebanon->US. Jermaine Jones only played for Germany. Then switched ONCE to the US.. I don't think it matters if they're friendlies or not.

Yeah, I think I'm wrong.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: May 28, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »

So Roberto Martinez is probably gone. Roger needs to come back. No way they regain promotion without Martinez. Espinoza will be stuck in the depths of the Championship.

didn't Roger leave on a free transfer because his contract was up? I don't see us spending money to buy him back.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »

like for the USOC game tonight. Goes live at 7:15a I believe.

Also looks like we are wearing the black kits tonight.

http://www.sportingkc.com/game-notes

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: May 28, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »

didn't Roger leave on a free transfer because his contract was up? I don't see us spending money to buy him back.

Yeah he probably won't. But he left because it was a great opportunity to play in the EPL. Maybe some bottom-feeder EPL team will pick him up. If not, I don't see him getting back up anytime soon.

But yes, he did leave on a free transfer, and it's unlikely we'd buy him back. I can always hope.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: May 28, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »

like for the USOC game tonight. Goes live at 7:15a I believe.

Also looks like we are wearing the black kits tonight.

http://www.sportingkc.com/game-notes

I will probably be there. Buddy is giving me his tickets. About to take a look at the weather...

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: May 28, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »
Honest question, you guys.

Does anyone think this team is better than last years? I say no. If I'm going to put it on one missing player, I'd say Julio Cesar, not necessarily Roger.

This year's team has a slightly different style that caters to the new starters like Benny and Uri. It doesn't seem to be as effective. I do think this team has more talent and is deeper. It just isn't the dominant force that last year's team was. We're playing to the level of our opponent a lot more. Loss @ Toronto, 0-0 draw @ Revs, 0-0 draw v. Chicago. Also, we already have 4 losses through 14 games. Last year, we only had 7 in the whole 34-game season.

I've just been getting a little concerned. Not hitting the panic button by any means, but I'm starting to think last season was our best shot at winning an MLS Cup with this core group of guys (Besler, Zusi, Myers, Sinovic, Sapong, Bunbury...). Nielsen will be retiring soon. Zusi will be off to Europe soon. This window seems to be closing.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: May 28, 2013, 03:26:07 PM »
This year's team seems to have fewer legitimate opportunities at goal. I haven't looked at shots on goal this year to last, just seems that way from watching games.

Also, this year's team is frustratingly bad at actually having someone in place to take advantage of crosses.  I hate seeing someone actually get in place to shoot a good pass across face of goal only to have either no one tall enough to even think about getting a head on it or Bieler and someone else just too far away to actually make an attempt. 

Our passing seems to be a little worse than last year's too. 

Like you, not overly frustrated, but they definitely don't seem as good as last year.

Also,  why the eff is Kei not starting?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: May 28, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
This year's team seems to have fewer legitimate opportunities at goal. I haven't looked at shots on goal this year to last, just seems that way from watching games.

Also, this year's team is frustratingly bad at actually having someone in place to take advantage of crosses.  I hate seeing someone actually get in place to shoot a good pass across face of goal only to have either no one tall enough to even think about getting a head on it or Bieler and someone else just too far away to actually make an attempt. 

Our passing seems to be a little worse than last year's too. 

Like you, not overly frustrated, but they definitely don't seem as good as last year.

Also,  why the eff is Kei not starting?

Yep. Bieler, Jacob Peterson, Zusi are all short as eff and can't win a header to save their lives. That's a huge reason why we need Kei back. Kei needs to be starting in Jacob Peterson regardless of how well Jacob's been playing.

And the lack of shots is directly correlated to the lack of Kei. He had the most shots in the league last season by a crap ton. Bieler doesn't just hack away. Neither do any of our other players. We have a few guys like Uri, Benny, and Haitian Xavi that are all strictly pass-first. Even if they have a good shot, they'll try to pass it to attempt to make an easier opportunity for someone else. That's frustrating.

Things need to change. Idk what will, but something needs to happen. I also think Mechack had his fun, but Chance needs to be in his place whenever healthy. Same with Joseph. Feilhaber needs to be in there. (This coming from a guy whose favorite player is Peterson Joseph and I also love Jerome)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: May 28, 2013, 03:55:33 PM »
its gonna storm tonight
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: May 28, 2013, 04:11:53 PM »
its gonna storm tonight

Yeah... :frown: Hopefully not for very long. I may get a rough ridin' poncho.

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: May 28, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
Sunny what happened to "nothing matters, just make the playoffs"

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: May 28, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
Anyone know anything about teal?  I mean, initially, he was supposed to be back by start of season.  I haven't heared anything about him for like a month now.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »
Also, on the short front note, I like that PV has been setting Opara (sp) up more for headers during set pieces, but would really like to see him and Kei in there at the same time for those oppys.  Seems like that would make us pretty hard to guard.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: May 28, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
Sunny what happened to "nothing matters, just make the playoffs"

My point is, if this team isn't as good as last year, how are we going to win MLS Cup?

Making the playoffs isn't the only thing that matters. Once we make the playoffs, we have to win it all. I don't feel comfortable saying we will do that.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: May 28, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »
Also, on the short front note, I like that PV has been setting Opara (sp) up more for headers during set pieces, but would really like to see him and Kei in there at the same time for those oppys.  Seems like that would make us pretty hard to guard.

Kei, Collin, and Opara are our only real set piece targets. Besler is pretty much crap. Everyone else is short as eff.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: May 28, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
My point is, if this team isn't as good as last year, how are we going to win MLS Cup?

we need to schedule better in the playoffs #Weber4SKC

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: May 28, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
Anyone know anything about teal?  I mean, initially, he was supposed to be back by start of season.  I haven't heared anything about him for like a month now.

Peter had been saying for awhile he's hoping for June 1, but as that approaches, it doesn't seem likely. I really really think we'll see him on the field by the end of June. Maybe not. I want him back on the field badly. Now that Kei is back, seems like he and Bieler are the only guys other than Zusi and defenders (Collin, Opara, Myers) that can score goals. I love CJ, but Teal is a better goal-scorer.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: May 28, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »

we need to schedule better in the playoffs #Weber4SKC

Once NYCFC enters in 2015 and Houston is pushed to the Western Conference, I think we'll have a better chance. We can't get past Dominic Kinnear in the playoffs... He's a better coach than Peter. Only question is if the team will be as good then.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: May 28, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
Heineman just said the MLS All Star game opponent is finalized. Should be announced in the next few DAYS. Anyone else going?

Rumors recently have been Roma, Valencia, and Juventus (from what I've heard). Somewhat of a letdown if true. I was really hoping for Real Madrid or Barcelona. Dream big.

Also said he's hoping that, by the ASG (July 31), we'll have a new stadium naming rights deal in place.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: May 28, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
Not as good as last year and it does come back to midfield play and missing Juilo and Roger.

Not going to the ASG. Had a ticket but am interning and the game is on like a Wednesday.

CJ has been crap since his rookie year. Would really like to see Teal back asap.

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
I think we're fine, Sunny. It's going to come down to matchups and how we're playing at the time, once the playoffs roll around.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: May 28, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
guys, we're like, really good.  :D

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi