Author Topic: European Club Soccer Thread! (EPL, Champions League, Europa, etc... :D )  (Read 1331591 times)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC
« Reply #475 on: July 09, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »
Lol

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 09, 2012, 09:06:57 AM »
need to start finding ways to put the ball in the net. simple as that

We're not good at scoring.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »
meh, MLS is a very weird league as it is. A lot of teams beat up on each other, lots of parity. The 4-0 loss to Philly was disturbing though.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 09, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »
meh, MLS is a very weird league as it is. A lot of teams beat up on each other, lots of parity. The 4-0 loss to Philly was disturbing though.

Weren't we missing our best forward and arguably our best defender that game in Kamara and Beasler?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 11, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »
got a USOC semi-final match @ Philly tonight being streamed via youtube. If we win we will host the final vs the winner of Chivas USA v Seattle.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: July 11, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
got a USOC semi-final match @ Philly tonight being streamed via youtube. If we win we will host the final vs the winner of Chivas USA v Seattle.

It's bullshit that the semi finals of a national playoff aren't televised.  I mean, even hockey gets better coverage.  mumped up.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 11, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »
From July 5
Robb Heineman @RobbHeineman
Working on a tv deal for open cup semis. Looks pretty likely. Stay tuned... #onlyThebest4u #SportingKC

From July 6
Well....tv just died. Hello live stream. Sorry...stuff we can't control. #SportingKC

Also from July 6
National RT @FootyChronicles: Out of curiosity, what station was it? RT @RobbHeineman: Well....tv just died.

Robb did the best he could.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 11, 2012, 02:53:15 PM »
Yeah, I saw those.

Still bullshit.  It shouldn't fall on the team owner's shoulders to make happen.

I can't believe there isn't a cable channel that wants this/can afford this.

I mean, there are at least a couple soccer specific cable channels out there that surely could turn a buck or two off this.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 11, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
Its horseshit FSC picked up CalFC v Seattle in the rough ridin' round of 16 and can't pick up semis

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 11, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »
found this via twitter:

US Soccer and Television Rights

The first problem is a reoccurring problem not only for the US Open Cup but CONCACAF qualifying. The awarding of TV rights to each team leads to problems. In CONCACAF, games end up on pay-per-view, because the smaller countries prefer the take from American viewers over guaranteed money, as the US Soccer paychecks have never been anything like we see for other sports. Still, the long term benefits of airing each game on US television at least in the Hexagonal round is something that CONCACAF needs to look into as this country continues to be the home of large numbers of Latin American immigrants.

For the US Open Cup, it's a little bit more simple. The way hosting has played out, the television rights fall to the MLS clubs in the later rounds. With few exceptions, this has led to the local tv deals being used, but not exactly as they should be. For example, all of the Sporting KC matches have been on their YouTube channel. While I love free programming as much as the next guy, for some reason YouTube/Google haven't gotten the streaming live video down perfectly, and the games tend to lag leading to hilarious twitter delay among the Sporting KC fanbase. Yes, every game was televised this year, but poorly when such infrastructure was already in place.

In a perfect world, MLS and US Soccer would get together and add the US Open Cup games to the MLS Live package and the NBC/ESPN contracts that are hurting for content in the summer doldrums. In that way, MLS can fairly raise the price of their package and more fans are exposed to cup football, which may be the best way to evaluate the depth of your teams and experience great stories like the Cal FC run of this year. At the very least, the game should be shown on Channel 62 in KC as the same production crew is running the show, and there isn't exactly a programming problem there either.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 11, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »
sporting win 2-0.   

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 11, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
def going to try to get tickets in the Cauldron for the USOC FINAL vs Seattle. Will be rockin'

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 12, 2012, 12:40:09 AM »
def going to try to get tickets in the Cauldron for the USOC FINAL vs Seattle. Will be rockin'

That will be a great game to attend.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »
Tickets on sale Tuesday.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 12, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »
Saw the goal highlights on the news.  Very long header in by Peterson was awesome, but Zusi's goal was Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  What the eff was the goalie doing that far out of the box?  Look, I am pretty new to this MLS thing, but it seems to me a goalie doing things like that shouldn't be allowed back on the field.

Great lob type shot by Zusi though.  He had to be laughing his ass off as it bounced a gajillion times before going in to the goal while the goalie raced back after it.  I know that is how I reacted during the highlight.

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 12, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
Difference between US Open Cup and MLS Cup? All these soccer "cups" and "championships" confuse me. LSIQ right here

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 12, 2012, 01:04:58 PM »
Saw the goal highlights on the news.  Very long header in by Peterson was awesome, but Zusi's goal was Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  What the eff was the goalie doing that far out of the box?  Look, I am pretty new to this MLS thing, but it seems to me a goalie doing things like that shouldn't be allowed back on the field.

Great lob type shot by Zusi though.  He had to be laughing his ass off as it bounced a gajillion times before going in to the goal while the goalie raced back after it.  I know that is how I reacted during the highlight.

It was 93rd minute, and they were pressing everyone up to try and get a goal at the last minute. There was nothing to lose at that point. This was a single elimination game; doesn't matter if you lose 1-0 or 2-0 or 100-0.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 12, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »
Difference between US Open Cup and MLS Cup? All these soccer "cups" and "championships" confuse me. LSIQ right here

I try to explain it as this to my less cultured friends:

Imagine during baseball season if while all the leagues were being played they set aside one day a month or every couple weeks where there was a single elimination, random draw, tournament involving all MLB, AAA, AA, A teams. Every team's name is put in a hat and whoever gets pulled plays the next team pulled. So you could have a MLB team playing a single A at home or on the road, you could have two MLB teams play each other, you could have two single A teams play each other and everything in between. It's a tournament set up for Cinderellas and for the middle of the pack big teams that have no chance of winning a championship over the course of a season.

Now if you really want to get into it, these Cup competitions in Europe exist because a long time ago (1890s) there weren't enough teams to hold a league, and travel was more complicated so going on the road week in week out wasn't an option. So the cup games were less frequent and were played whenever players could show up (most of them were factory workers). Then when sports got more popular in the 20th century and they formed leagues rather than abolish the cups they kept them and set aside days when they would be played.

The MLS cup complicates things since we're American and love playoffs. While in all other countries the team on top of the standings (best record/most points) at the end of the season is the champion, in MLS they take the top whatever teams and have playoffs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:50:13 PM by AbeFroman »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 12, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »

It was 93rd minute, and they were pressing everyone up to try and get a goal at the last minute. There was nothing to lose at that point. This was a single elimination game; doesn't matter if you lose 1-0 or 2-0 or 100-0.

The stuff you miss when the rando on Channel nine puts up soccer highlights.  I blame Fox Soccer.

Makes a little more sense now.  Still a dumbass move to do such a dumbass header so softly right into a pack that contains equal amts other team players while half a field away from guarding the one spot on the field you are responsible for.  But still easier to understand.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 12, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »

Was at a Carolina Railhawks game over the w/e. Down 1-3 in the 88th minute Railhawks scored. In extra time they were pressing hard and attacking and the other team (don't remember their name) sent one out and our goalie took off like a mad man and slid through the ball and kicked it just as their guy was going to score it and ice the game. Our stud goalie kicked it right out one of our defensemen and we attacked immediately and scored not more than 10 seconds after the goalie save. Full time. Tied 3-3. Easily the best match I have ever been to (not involving my own kid) in the short time that I have acknowledged soccer as a sport.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 12, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »
Becks on his suspension  :D

Many critics thought the penalty too light, that Beckham should have received a three- or even four-game suspension all told.

“Yeah, well, they're the jealous ones, unfortunately,” he said. “They're the ones that like to sit in front of the TV and discuss my life even when I'm not playing the game. Maybe I'm at a tennis game – they like to discuss that. There's people that maybe like to get in the limelight a little too much.”

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 14, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »
Sporting KC v Columbus tonight. Fun Eastern Conference show down. Anyone who lives in MHK if you go to Johnny Kaws during the game and wear SKC gear you get half priced boulevards

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 14, 2012, 11:59:59 PM »
Nice win for KC.  Columbus had a ton of good chances though.

Highlights: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-07-14-clb-v-skc/highlights

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 15, 2012, 12:54:10 AM »
Good game between the sticks from the Puma.  Haitian Xavi had a sweet pass to Jake for the first goal.  Renteria was asking for a punch to the face. Paolo shoulda gave him one.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 15, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »
good win, nice lil crowd at Kaw's for the game. overall wonderful night for the famous SKC and their fans