Author Topic: NBA Playoffs Thread  (Read 246479 times)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Playoffs Thread
« Reply #400 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »
LeBron is much better than Jordan....but so are about 5 other current NBA players. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »
LeBron is much better than Jordan....but so are about 5 other current NBA players. 
:surprised:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 06, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »

Call me when these five players have 6 rings, yes that is the only argument I have, and it is the only one I need.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 06, 2011, 11:22:07 AM »

Call me when these five players have 6 rings, yes that is the only argument I have, and it is the only one I need.

Robert Horry, better than Michael Jordan according to local kstateo guy  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:24:45 AM by steve dave »

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 06, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »

Robert Horry, better than Michael Jordan according to local kstateo guy  :lol:

I demand to see the unedited version :shakesfist:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 06, 2011, 11:39:22 AM »

Robert was spelled Roberty

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 06, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »

Robert was spelled Roberty

Too bad Robert couldn't hang on a few more years and sign a minimum salary contract with the Heat, if anything he is the GOAT just for being on the right team at the right time.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 06, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »

lebron doesn't care about that.  he only cares about being universally regarded/celebrated/adored as the best.  like jordan is.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 06, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »

lebron doesn't care about that.  he only cares about being universally regarded/celebrated/adored as the best.  like jordan is.

is this supposed to be some kind of character flaw.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »

no, part of an illustration of how he has been a failure thus far in miami.  the point is that he won't be happy about being miami's pippen.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 06, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
Lebron kind of owned friend of goEMAW Gregg Doyel after the game.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 06, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »

no, part of an illustration of how he has been a failure thus far in miami.  the point is that he won't be happy about being miami's pippen.

how in the wide world of eff has he been a failure

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 06, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »

So far, he's failing to accomplish what he wanted to when he decided to go to Miami:   be the player who is universally regarded/celebrated/adored as the best.  He made that goal clear when he was a free agent.  This will be the case at least for as long as Wade is their #1 option at closer.  I don't make the NBA superstar rules, but one of the them is that the best player gets the ball at the end of the game. 

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 06, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »

So far, he's failing to accomplish what he wanted to when he decided to go to Miami:   be the player who is universally regarded/celebrated/adored as the best.  He made that goal clear when he was a free agent.  This will be the case at least for as long as Wade is their #1 option at closer.  I don't make the NBA superstar rules, but one of the them is that the best player gets the ball at the end of the game. 

Lebron doesn't care about any of that. He just wants to play basketball with his friends and win championships.  What a great guy and teammate.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 06, 2011, 09:30:09 PM »

No, he wanted to go to Miami so he could win championships.  And at this point it seems like he may be completely succeeding at accomplishing what he wanted to do.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 06, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »
No, he wanted to go to Miami so he could win championships.  And at this point it seems like he may be completely succeeding at accomplishing what he wanted to do.

Winning championships is a means to an end for him.  He's talked about that a lot.

Well, I mean, to me, I think my ultimate, my ultimate goal is winning championships, and I understand that me going down as one of the greats will not happen until I, you know, win a championship
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5238743

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2011, 07:16:20 AM »
lebron's ws/48 is the best in the league and in the playoffs.  he's as close as you can get to Jordan.  not really comparable at all to Pippen.  we could conclude that James is the best team player in the game and is easily the most important player in the game since Jordan.

comparables:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wadedw01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html

i didn't fall into that media trap when it was set last offseason.  but i can understand how some might have fallen into it and are blinded by the hate

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 07, 2011, 07:36:03 AM »

Winning championships is a means to an end for him.  He's talked about that a lot.

Well, I mean, to me, I think my ultimate, my ultimate goal is winning championships, and I understand that me going down as one of the greats will not happen until I, you know, win a championship
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5238743
So you agree that his goal this season was to win a championship and he is well on his way to accomplishing that goal.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 07, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »
it's not only about championships.  he doesn't want to be just any dude with lots of rings.  there are plenty of those guys.  he wants jordan status.  (remember the billionairre, global superstar talk?)  but there's a scenario unfolding in which he can't attain it even if he does win championsips.  and that's a win for lebron haters.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 07, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »
it's not only about championships.  he doesn't want to be just any dude with lots of rings.  there are plenty of those guys.  he wants jordan status.  (remember the billionairre, global superstar talk?)  but there's a scenario unfolding in which he can't attain it even if he does win championsips.  and that's a win for lebron haters.

Lebron haters getting desperate. This is hard to watch.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 07, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »
lebron's ws/48 is the best in the league and in the playoffs.  he's as close as you can get to Jordan.  not really comparable at all to Pippen.  we could conclude that James is the best team player in the game and is easily the most important player in the game since Jordan.

comparables:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wadedw01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html

i didn't fall into that media trap when it was set last offseason.  but i can understand how some might have fallen into it and are blinded by the hate

This is a great post, and really makes me think (really, no sarcasm).

The thing about Jordan is that he changed the game. I was not one of the 10 year olds who fell in love with the Bulls because of Jordan, and I was a Jordan hater then because I hated seeing the same team win every year. But he did change the game, and there are some intangibles that he had that LeBron does not have. For instance, the last two games when Miami had a shot to take the lead with less than a minute left in the game, they gave it to Wade in game 2, and Bosh in game 3. In the words of Bill Walker, "it's hard for me to like a guy who at the end of the game, wants to pass the ball to his teammates. You the number 1 option man, take the basket."

That does make him a team player, and that's respectable. I just don't see a clear distinction in talent between Wade and LeBron as I did with Jordan and Pippen.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:33 AM »

the last two games when Miami had a shot to take the lead with less than a minute left in the game, they gave it to Wade in game 2, and Bosh in game 3. In the words of Bill Walker, "it's hard for me to like a guy who at the end of the game, wants to pass the ball to his teammates. You the number 1 option man, take the basket."

That does make him a team player, and that's respectable. I just don't see a clear distinction in talent between Wade and LeBron as I did with Jordan and Pippen.

Passing to a teammate for the game winner is very Jordan-esque. Lebron becoming more and more like Jordan with every game.   :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cS5uDMErOE

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 07, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »
it wasn't Jordan who passed the ball to Paxson for his series winner against the Suns in 93 because he never touched the ball in that game winning possession.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 07, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »

Wade > Pippen.  So Lebron would have to be much better than Jordan for you do see that same disparity.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 07, 2011, 09:45:53 PM »
lol @ doyel mocking lebron on twitter.  love that guy.