Author Topic: pancreatic cancer / soda  (Read 8948 times)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
Re: pancreatic cancer / soda
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
RECENT STUDY!

The use of aspirin at least once per month is associated with a significant decrease in pancreatic cancer risk, according to results of a large case-control study presented at the AACR 102nd Annual Meeting 2011, held here April 2-6.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
RECENT STUDY!

The use of aspirin at least once per month is associated with a significant decrease in pancreatic cancer risk, according to results of a large case-control study presented at the AACR 102nd Annual Meeting 2011, held here April 2-6.

take a couple asprin with your mt. dew

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »
the irony of this thread is that we have a "bet on the over/under of j rake's lifespan" thread in the premium section. 

38  :pray:

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »
The cost of a new pancreas can be pretty steep.  How much? One life.

well nevermind on that then.  Do they make robot pancreases?  They should by now with the technological advances these days. 

^^^^That was just a rhetorical question, don't bother looking robot pancreases up.  I'll just stick with eating piles of aspirin, if that doesn't cause brain melting or spleen explosions or something awful.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
man, that damn aspirin is a wonder drug

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• Fan
  • scintillating scotoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
"Risk factors include (1) smoking (3x the normal risk), (2) exposure to chemicals (the disease is supposedly more common among both chemists and garage workers), (3) hereditary pancreatitis (huge risk), and (4) some of the anti-oncogene deletion syndromes. (5) Obesity is also supposed to be an independent risk factor that somehow promotes the growth (Surgery 146: 258, 2009)." -pathguy

Pretty sure soda won't hurt ur pancreas.

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
HAHA eff YOU THREAD  :comehere:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »
"Risk factors include (1) smoking (3x the normal risk), (2) exposure to chemicals (the disease is supposedly more common among both chemists and garage workers), (3) hereditary pancreatitis (huge risk), and (4) some of the anti-oncogene deletion syndromes. (5) Obesity is also supposed to be an independent risk factor that somehow promotes the growth (Surgery 146: 258, 2009)." -pathguy

Yeah right, sounds super fake, get out of here with your pretend doctor's papers you big fat phony.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 04:14:50 PM »

This is some encouraging info. What is your occupation?

Also, would you mind if I ask a few follow ups?

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• Fan
  • scintillating scotoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »

I'm a med student.  I'll try to answer but no guarantees.   :nerd:

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
 :lol: we're going to be replacing worn out organs w/ lab/host-body grown models in ~12 yrs anyway.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »
Just make it to the singularity and we'll be set.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
Good news for J rake...........except that he works in a garage and moonlights as a chemist!   :horrorsurprise:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »

I'm a med student.  I'll try to answer but no guarantees.   :nerd:

What can I take to reduce the risk of getting the lethal disease known as pancreatic cancer?

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
Good news for J rake...........except that he works in a garage and moonlights as a chemist!   :horrorsurprise:

I can't even change my own oil.  :lol:

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• Fan
  • scintillating scotoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »
As far as I can tell, there is no drug you can take to reduce your risk.  It is more about avoiding the risk factors (if possible).  Pancreatic adenocarcinoma (the most common type of pancreatic cancer) is resistant to current chemotherapies.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
As far as I can tell, there is no drug you can take to reduce your risk. 

Except Aspirin you medical jerk/pharmacy turkey!

It is more about avoiding the risk factors (if possible).  Pancreatic adenocarcinoma (the most common type of pancreatic cancer) is resistant to current chemotherapies.

:surprised:

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »
I read that two cans of soda per day can increase your risk of pancreatic cancer by up to 87 percent. Since I drink a little over double that, I figure my chances are probably quite good of getting it. Of course, only 13.2 out of 100,000 men get pancreatic cancer each year, so that's encouraging.

But I hate that I can't "undo what's done."

if it's already done then why quit?

Every soda I consume probably increases my chances.

I know, I know. I'm counting on a miracle.

baby i'm countin' on a miracle
darlin' i'm countin' on a miracle
to come through  :gocho:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
I read that two cans of soda per day can increase your risk of pancreatic cancer by up to 87 percent. Since I drink a little over double that, I figure my chances are probably quite good of getting it. Of course, only 13.2 out of 100,000 men get pancreatic cancer each year, so that's encouraging.

I planted that there intentionally. 

Speaking of which, Top 50 NOW!  :curse:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 06:56:24 PM »
If you "get the news" and only have a few months to live, bet your entire fortune on a random WNBA game.  Would be a good j_rake way of going out, ya know?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 07:18:12 PM »

I planted that there intentionally. 

Speaking of which, Top 50 NOW!  :curse:

i know  :frown:

with jake/frank/royals + psychotic perfectionist issues...i'm finding it hard to nail down an acceptable list  :chainsaw:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
You are more than likely a fatass if you drink that much soda per day so you will probably die of something more related to being a fatass before your pancreas craps out. Although your pancreas crapping out could be related to being a soda drinking fatass, but I don't know, not a dr. :dunno:

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »
You are more than likely a fatass if you drink that much soda per day so you will probably die of something more related to being a fatass before your pancreas craps out. Although your pancreas crapping out could be related to being a soda drinking fatass, but I don't know, not a dr. :dunno:

I'm actually a bit underweight.  :surprised:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »

You are prob going to live forever then.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »

it's because your body isn't taking the nutrients you're giving it, it's starting to shut down from the chemicals that are loaded into the soft drinks you force into your system.  sad...

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.