Author Topic: Tan Tom on Allen Fieldhouse  (Read 1947 times)

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Tan Tom on Allen Fieldhouse
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

Welcome to winter. And welcome to the Big Eight Conference, where newcomer Asbury already has ticked off archrival Kansas by describing revered Allen Fieldhouse, basketball cathedral of the Jayhawks, as "an old dump."  (is this the best thing he ever did?)  p.s. how come our team no longer loads up on star players from Junction City? 

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-11-23/sports/sp-621_1_tom-asbury

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps, etc.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Tan Tom on Allen Fieldhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:03:06 PM »
Remember when Asbury before the start of his second, and most successful, year interviewed for the Cal job?
Now failing at Pepperdine.
Looked good in his Armani's though. Something that comes to mind everytime squawkers diss Frank's suits.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 01:12:28 PM by EMAWzified »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 01:09:47 PM »
From his old office at Pepperdine, Tom Asbury could look out the sliding glass doors and see the Pacific Ocean's waves lapping at the beach at Malibu.

:eek:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
From his old office at Pepperdine, Tom Asbury could look out the sliding glass doors and see the Pacific Ocean's waves lapping at the beach at Malibu.

I had an intership one summer where the training was done on their campus. It is incredibly elite, makes boulder look like a trailer park. I could see the pacific ocean from my DORM ROOM, cute deer grazing on campus, beach a 10 minute walk away.

This picture from my cellular phone does it no justice.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
"See our bench?" he says. "I had it moved to the student side. Caused a big stir, but the students love it."

No dummy, Asbury also had the visiting team's bench moved a few feet from K-State's students, legendary for standing the entire game.

"That's why I did it," he says, smiling, perhaps at the thought of some Russian lit major from Topeka yelling farm vulgarities at, say, Coach Eddie Sutton and the rest of the visiting Oklahoma State team.

This really would be amazing to do again.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »

Welcome to the Pepperdine campus.      :bawl:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 02:08:58 PM »
The funniest thing of all is that Tardville used to always say stuff about Malibu to Manhattan with an overtone of; nobody would think that if it was Malibu to Lawrence.

Always good for a laugh.

Offline RU4KSU2

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 02:23:37 PM »
My senior year at KSU... was in the front row of the student section right behind the KSU bench for every game.  That article definitely captures the optimism of the time and how he might be the one to get the job done... Who would have thought it would be such a disaster...

:barf:

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »
"See our bench?" he says. "I had it moved to the student side. Caused a big stir, but the students love it."

No dummy, Asbury also had the visiting team's bench moved a few feet from K-State's students, legendary for standing the entire game.

"That's why I did it," he says, smiling, perhaps at the thought of some Russian lit major from Topeka yelling farm vulgarities at, say, Coach Eddie Sutton and the rest of the visiting Oklahoma State team.

This really would be amazing to do again.

i think the conf has a rule against it now