Author Topic: Luis Colon - why does he play?  (Read 6080 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Luis Colon - why does he play?
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:26:47 AM »
I'd like some HBBIQ explanation.  'Cause I'm all like...  :dunno:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Luis Colon - why does he play?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:43:11 AM »
Establishes a physical tone early.  Can beat the hell out of you. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 01:00:55 AM »

The real question is "why doesn't he play more?"  The answer is he is absolutely abhorrible on offense.

He sees time because he is a good post defender, excellent helpside defender, sets physical tone early.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Thread Killer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:30:09 AM »

Thank god for graduation.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 06:36:59 AM »
As I said in chat, Lu thrilled us with 3 or 4 of the worst shots coming out of a K-State player since Ham Strickland was wearing the Purple.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »
Lu plays because the other Big Men love to chase the guy driving the lane in attempt to get the big block, this leads to an easy assist and layup situation. Lu doesn't leave his man and thus gets to play. Basically, he's capitalizing on the fact that our other bigs are stupid and not as athletic as they think they are(JamSam excluded, of course).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:11:03 AM by kcchiefdav »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 07:08:53 AM »
Lu is fine as long as he doesn't dribble.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »
You could say the same about several other players.  Colon's game just happens to be a personal pet peeve for some.  Not playing any of them in favor of a six man rotation would be stupid.  They're expected to play hard and it's a long season.  We're just not ten deep with future NBA stars.  Good enough?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 08:15:10 AM »
You could say the same about several other players.  Colon's game just happens to be a personal pet peeve for some.  Not playing any of them in favor of a six man rotation would be stupid.  They're expected to play hard and it's a long season.  We're just not ten deep with future NBA stars.  Good enough?

This.  Post depth is never a bad thing, especially when you play pressure defense and look to get 72+ possessions a game. 

Really, I like how the minutes have shaken out.

Kelly and Samuels get 23-24 MPG as the 2 best scoring options in the post.

Then Lou (15), Judge (11), and JHR (11) split the rest.  Judge and JHRs' minutes are down slightly in conference play, but only by a minute or two.

Plus, Lou is the most physical defender of all our guys and sometimes that really helps us; he pretty much completely took Pittman out of the game in Manhattan for example.

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 08:16:06 AM »
Tiny Gallon could bump all of our guys, sans Colon, to the basket like he was playing 8th graders. You can't substitute size when that happens.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 08:24:58 AM »
Tiny Gallon could bump all of our guys, sans Colon, to the basket like he was playing 8th graders. You can't substitute size when that happens.

True.  JHR did help a bit here a couple times b/c he changed shots with his length.

Frank has talked several times this year that one of the keys to the program taking another step was developing post depth, especially to compete with Kansas and Texas.  I think we can get better, but overall having this number of guys to throw out is a big reason why we are 22-4 right now.

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
I'm not sure who we would have if Bennett had not left, but can you imagine how big that MF'er would be after 4 years of Greenie? And to have another 5 fouls in the post never hurts. (AND HE WOULD HAVE USED THEM)

Offline WavetheWheat

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
  • SteveDave's Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »
Luis Colon is awesome.  Please don't ever question him again.

Offline Doomagon

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »
Luis Colon is awesome.  Please don't ever question him again.

Not sure if youre being sarcastic but this ^^^

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »
I dunno.  I guess I just saw a big coorelation between Lou's minutes and our team's performance.

First Half:
Lou plays 12-15 mins?  Our team looks like complete dog crap.  The guy's about 1-6 from the floor.  He's dribbling the ball out of bounds.  The boxscore only credits him with one turnover, but there is NO way that is accurate.  Tiny Gallon is making Colon look like a statue, dribblling through, around, and over him.  And Frank leaves him in the game???   :dunno:

Second half:
Lou plays 3-5 mins?  Our team has much better flow.  Post production with Sam and Kelley is ideal.  Samuels is actually drawing fouls.  Gallon is somewhat neutralized by Kelley.  And, we end up winning by 15. 

Again, what am I missing?  Colon is a liability on offense.  period.  And hs is only good on D when the other team has a big, slow post player. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »
lu was outmatched by gallon and we weren't helping on him.

bad matchup.  lu is fine when he doesn't put the ball on the floor.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 12:01:03 PM »
I dunno.  I guess I just saw a big coorelation between Lou's minutes and our team's performance.

First Half:
Lou plays 12-15 mins?  Our team looks like complete dog crap.  The guy's about 1-6 from the floor.  He's dribbling the ball out of bounds.  The boxscore only credits him with one turnover, but there is NO way that is accurate.  Tiny Gallon is making Colon look like a statue, dribblling through, around, and over him.  And Frank leaves him in the game???   :dunno:

Second half:
Lou plays 3-5 mins?  Our team has much better flow.  Post production with Sam and Kelley is ideal.  Samuels is actually drawing fouls.  Gallon is somewhat neutralized by Kelley.  And, we end up winning by 15. 

Again, what am I missing?  Colon is a liability on offense.  period.  And hs is only good on D when the other team has a big, slow post player. 

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2010/02/20/kansas-state-83-oklahoma-68/plus_minus

suprisingly, the team was just flat when Lu was in there...however JHR's time was +14
Y.N.W.A.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 12:05:18 PM »

First Half:

Second half:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/kansas-state/luis-colon/play_by_play

It wasn't as dramatic as you're making it.  Samuels' time in the first half was only 1 point better than Lu's.  I also think we would have seen a lot less of Colon if Kelly didn't pick up his second foul at the 10 minute mark or so.

And the offense better w/ Kelly and Samuels in at the same time?  Gee, thanks for that stunning insight.   

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 12:15:22 PM »

And the offense better w/ Kelly and Samuels in at the same time?  Gee, thanks for that stunning insight.   

Right on d-nozzle.  The point - obviously - is that our ideal combo (Kelly/Samuels) was not on the court as much as they should have been.  Because Lou was sucking up Sam's minutes.  And my question is... why? 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »

Right on d-nozzle.  The point - obviously - is that our ideal combo (Kelly/Samuels) was not on the court as much as they should have been.  Because Lou was sucking up Sam's minutes.  And my question is... why? 

When was Lu sucking up Samuels' minutes?  Jamar played 26 minutes.  The real issue was Kelly's first half foul trouble.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 12:38:34 PM »

When was Lu sucking up Samuels' minutes?  Jamar played 26 minutes.  The real issue was Kelly's first half foul trouble.

In the first half.  Jamar played the large majority of his minutes in the second half.  Lou sat on the bench.   

The point remains, Lou should not be playing as much as he does.  Complete liability.  If Kelly (or anybody else is in foul trouble), Samuels is the first option and JHR should be the second option.  Frank figured this out in the second half.  Lou is an f'n liability.  Don't get me wrong, I like Lou's hustle.  And, if he plays his role, he is palpable.  His role, however, does not include, shooting, passing, or dribbling.  Which means we play 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the floor. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »
As long as Frank is coach, Lou will play 10-15 MPG.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »

In the first half.  Jamar played the large majority of his minutes in the second half.  Lou sat on the bench.   

Did you see the link?  Jamar sucked in the first half.

The point remains, Lou should not be playing as much as he does.  Complete liability.  If Kelly (or anybody else is in foul trouble), Samuels is the first option and JHR should be the second option.  Frank figured this out in the second half.  Lou is an f'n liability.  Don't get me wrong, I like Lou's hustle.  And, if he plays his role, he is palpable.  His role, however, does not include, shooting, passing, or dribbling.  Which means we play 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the floor. 

He plays significantly fewer minutes than Samuels and Kelly.  JHR has been great the last 2 games, but he is still not a clear upgrade over Lu.  This is just a dumb talking point you're running with.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:49:22 PM by michigancat »

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 12:56:15 PM »

Mmmkay.  Didn't seem like he played very much in the first half. 

He plays significantly fewer minutes than Samuels and Kelly.  JHR has been great the last 2 games, but he is still not a clear upgrade over Lu.  This is just a dumb talking point you're running with.

Well, you may think it's a dumb talking point.  Not all that surprising, really.  But, the FACT is that Frank's halftime adjustment involved replacing Lou with JHR, getting Samuels more minutes and more involved, and putting Kelly on Gallon.  And for some unexplained reason, we played 100% better in the second half. 

I guess I'm just crazy for thinking that Lou might have had something to do with it.   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »

Mmmkay.  Didn't seem like he played very much in the first half. 

Samuels played about 12 in the first, 14 in the second.

Well, you may think it's a dumb talking point.  Not all that surprising, really.  But, the FACT is that Frank's halftime adjustment involved replacing Lou with JHR, getting Samuels more minutes and more involved, and putting Kelly on Gallon.  And for some unexplained reason, we played 100% better in the second half. 

Again, Samuels played 12 in the first half, 14 in the 2nd.  JHR played 3 in the first, 4-1/2 in the 2nd.  Colon played 11 in the first half, 7 in the 2nd.  Do you really think Colon's 4 fewer minutes made a "100% better" difference?