Author Topic: Google ultra fast in KCK  (Read 7985 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: Google ultra fast in KCK
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
nerds

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »
Perhaps they didn't want to give the Westboro Baptist Church nearly unlimited bandwidth.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 12:26:39 PM »
OMG, I bet Topeka is pissed.

After they whored out their name to Google and all, this one has to really hit them where it counts.

This can't be stated enough.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
I thought I heard that this was going to be chosen from the candidate pool by means of lottery?

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »
Is this strictly KCK or surrounding areas (Johnson County namely).

Dunno why they wouldn't but it in Johnson County with all the business HQs located there.

Also, Topeka is to Google what Mizzou is to the Big 10.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
You're living in a land of delusion if you think they're going to sell you a 1 Gig Internet Pipe for $49.95 a month.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
You're living in a land of delusion if you think they're going to sell you a 1 Gig Internet Pipe for $49.95 a month.

What if they data mined the eff out of it and sold all the activity to advertisers?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 01:46:31 PM »
What kind of sales people work for AT&T and the Cable Companies in KCK?  All my schools have at least 100Mbps Ethernet Service rolling into 1 Gig and 10 Gig host locations, with 100Mbps to 250Mbps Internet Ports.    I look at utilization reports and show them to IT folks who think they're just blowing it out, and then they realize that even with 1000's of kids online and all kinds of online learning they're maybe at 50% utilization tops at most school locations, and maybe hitting 80% utilization on the Direct Internet Access Ports at Peak times.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 01:48:48 PM »
What kind of sales people work for AT&T and the Cable Companies in KCK?  All my schools have at least 100Mbps Ethernet Service rolling into 1 Gig and 10 Gig host locations, with 100Mbps to 250Mbps Internet Ports.    I look at utilization reports and show them to IT folks who think they're just blowing it out, and then they realize that even with 1000's of kids online and all kinds of online learning they're maybe at 50% utilization tops at most school locations, and maybe hitting 80% utilization on the Direct Internet Access Ports at Peak times.

:dnr:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »

What if they data mined the eff out of it and sold all the activity to advertisers?

If you were smart, you'd hate Google. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »

I agree in circumstances where the schools are interacting with the outside world.  However, if an entire district, or districts were connected together with 1gig connections then you have the frame work to do "new" things.  You essentially have your own little "Internet 2" for your group of schools.  http://www.internet2.edu/about/

It will take time for the benefits to be realized, but I suspect some cool cac will happen.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
Pete these networks I am discussing are connecting all the schools (Metro Ethernet), its only when it gets to the host locations that it either connects the user to internal servers/applications/VoIP or gets handed off to the outside.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »
No more snow days....just have every single student online from home in a group video conference with their teacher.

Only obstacle is the cost for families that can't afford the service or a PC.  The bandwidth could handle it.

And the teacher will be a robot.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
This is great for the industry I work in.

Think of it this way....we would not have Skype and the likes without the transition from Dial-Up to high speed cable or DSL.  This will allow users to Skype in high definition without bandwidth issues, lag etc. 

Not sure how many of you use Teleconferencing (VTC).  There are software applications that allow the user to dial in on a bridge (take Tandberg (now part of Cisco) for example).  They offer a desktop software that allows the user to dial in on a bridge or far-end Codec.  The bridge allows for multiple users to interact in one conference call from different locations (for the non-IT people out there).  This type of bandwidth from home will allow desktop users with the software to experience high quality, uninterrupted video conferencing.  This is huge in higher education for distant learning, or businesses with salespeople always on the road.  I see this fiber broadband having a major impact on telemedicine. 

Also, we will have the ability to download a HD movie in under 5 minutes.

As far as why KCK was chosen...  I've heard infrastructure, population, influence of JoCo business spenders (on the news Google called this "easy people to work with"), and I-70 corridor. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »

Think of it this way....we would not have Skype and the likes without the transition from Dial-Up to high speed cable or DSL.  This will allow users to Skype in high definition without bandwidth issues, lag etc. 

Not sure how many of you use Teleconferencing (VTC).  There are software applications that allow the user to dial in on a bridge (take Tandberg (now part of Cisco) for example).  They offer a desktop software that allows the user to dial in on a bridge or far-end Codec.  The bridge allows for multiple users to interact in one conference call from different locations (for the non-IT people out there).  This type of bandwidth from home will allow desktop users with the software to experience high quality, uninterrupted video conferencing.  This is huge in higher education for distant learning, or businesses with salespeople always on the road.  I see this fiber broadband having a major impact on telemedicine. 

As far as why KCK was chosen...  I've heard infrastructure, population, influence of JoCo business spenders (on the news Google called this "easy people to work with"), and I-70 corridor. 
Polycom. :fatty:

Microsoft Lync :fatty:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »

Polycom. :fatty:

Microsoft Lync :fatty:

Enjoy Polycom products every day.   ;)
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
I read that Google is already working on Google Super Duper fast, which will be 1000 times faster.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2011, 09:34:51 AM »
My friend lives in KCK  :driving:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »

I ALSO HAVE A FRIEND THAT LIVES THERE! :surprised:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »

I ALSO HAVE A FRIEND THAT LIVES THERE! :surprised:

I have no friends in Wyandotte
 :cry:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
Ultra fast internet at the T-Rex Cafe?  :bracketmouse:

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »
Ultra fast internet at the T-Rex Cafe?  :bracketmouse:

and at JJJJYAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZ

rip Grixs  :frown:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »
two big reasons why google picked kck:
1) unified government of kck/wyco makes clearing regulatory issues much easier
2) they don't lay their cable/phone/electric, they hang it all, making it much cheaper to implement

boom, bandwithed.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.