Author Topic: these newtimes dudes are good writers (cla exposé)  (Read 3857 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
these newtimes dudes are good writers (cla exposé)
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:29:04 PM »
He was headed, he believed, to a prestigious upstart academy where he would play basketball and get a scholarship to a top American college like Kansas State or Duke.

:emawkid:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2011-03-31/news/coach-bernard-wright-s-basketball-dreams/1/

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: these newtimes dudes are good writers (cla exposé)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:39:47 PM »
feels good  :gocho:

thanks sys

p.s. - http://www.miaminewtimes.com/content/printVersion/2735531/ for those who are lazy (like me)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »
He was headed, he believed, to a prestigious upstart academy where he would play basketball and get a scholarship to a top American college like Kansas State or Duke.

:emawkid:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2011-03-31/news/coach-bernard-wright-s-basketball-dreams/1/

If Tony Mitchell's mom blames us for steering him to CLA, or if we did steer him there, then yeah, I'd be pissed too.

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »
Big time  :woot:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 07:34:59 AM »
finally read this. Just crazy stuff.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »
Can someone give me the Cliff's Notes plz?  That's a really long article and I'll be super pissed if I read the entire thing and end up not giving a crap in the end.  tia.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »
He was also the co-owner of an unlicensed nudie club that in 1999 saw him arrested for hiring ladies to dance naked in his Three Fingers Lounge

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Tony Mitchel/CLA related story
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »
ballinisahabit Rob Dauster
Tony Mitchell's Florida high school gets exposed: There were plenty of issues regarding the eligibility status o... http://bit.ly/hvaobk

Yesterday, the Miami New-Times published an investigative piece on the high school that Mitchell attended when he was in Florida. Its an absolutely fascinating read -- a story in which Mitchell is only briefly mentioned -- but it helps shed some light on the corruption involved in amateur basketball. I strongly, strongly urge every one of you to go read the story.

Def paints CLA in a very bad light.

Nothing about Frank, and KSU is only mentioned as the place Tony was committed to.  Still and interesting read.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
Great read, it really makes you feel good to see Frank's name involved with such a seedy operation.   It only serves to give a K-State fan hope that we are finally going to dive head long into the muck and the mire of college basketball to sustain and get things accomplished.

The other day on Cowherd's show on ESPN Radio he read off a list of teams that have won or played for national titles in football or basketball in the last decade or so that either were on probation, or went on probation, or were mired or soon to be mired in significant scandal:  KU, UConn, Florida State, Auburn, Alabama, Oregon, USC, Memphis, OU just to name a few schools and then of course guys like Calipari.  

Cheating a lot, cheating hard pays . . . it pays big  

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:52:28 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
Great read, it really makes you feel good to see Frank's name involved with such a seedy operation.   It only serves to give a K-State fan hope that we are finally going to dive head long into the muck and the mire of college basketball to sustain and get things accomplished.

The other day on Cowherd's show on ESPN Radio he read off a list of teams that have won or played for national titles in football and basketball in the last decade or so that either were on probation, or went on probation, or were mired or soon to be mired in significant scandal:  KU, UConn, Florida State, Auburn, Alabama, Oregon, USC, Memphis, OU just to name a few schools and then of course guys like Calipari. 

Yeah, but how do you know where to draw the line between KU/Calipari/Auburn cheating and Tennessee (Pearl AND Kiffin)/Sampson/USC cheating?   :ohno: K-State can ill afford to do the latter but HAS to do the former.

Somebody needs to dive in KenPom style and try to find a method to the NCAA's madness.  Would be fascinating.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:35:25 AM »
Great read, it really makes you feel good to see Frank's name involved with such a seedy operation.   It only serves to give a K-State fan hope that we are finally going to dive head long into the muck and the mire of college basketball to sustain and get things accomplished.

The other day on Cowherd's show on ESPN Radio he read off a list of teams that have won or played for national titles in football and basketball in the last decade or so that either were on probation, or went on probation, or were mired or soon to be mired in significant scandal:  KU, UConn, Florida State, Auburn, Alabama, Oregon, USC, Memphis, OU just to name a few schools and then of course guys like Calipari. 

I'm trying to forget the time ku played for the national title in football.  In fact, I have done so.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »
Can someone give me the Cliff's Notes plz?  That's a really long article and I'll be super pissed if I read the entire thing and end up not giving a crap in the end.  tia.

It's a really interesting article.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »
fav part:

Wright, age 52, is not fond of New Times, which has run exposés that have cost him two assistant coaching jobs. "Don't you ever rough ridin' call this number again," he seethed over the phone after being contacted for this article. "You're a rough ridin' scumbag, and if I ever rough ridin' catch you near me, you're going to regret it. You better lose this rough ridin' number."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »
Pretty unflattering article for former associates and employers of Frank's.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »
This was a tough break:

the idea fell through when a principal investor, who "it turns out was a crackhead," didn't come through with start-up cash.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
This was a tough break:

the idea fell through when a principal investor, who "it turns out was a crackhead," didn't come through with start-up cash.

i thought that was the best line in the story.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »
This was a tough break:

it was fantastic. the whole article was. the "Three Fingers Lounge" line was also intriguing and left me wondering what a "slouch and sip package store" is (not to mention that is such a hilariously disgusting name for a place involving nudie girls).
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »
i want to live in Florida  :bracketmouse:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 05:22:27 PM »
This was a tough break:

it was fantastic. the whole article was. the "Three Fingers Lounge" line was also intriguing and left me wondering what a "slouch and sip package store" is (not to mention that is such a hilariously disgusting name for a place involving nudie girls).

Exactly. Isn't there a guy here named Three Fingers? The whole time I was like "holy christ can this place get anymore shady?" and then it would just get more awesomely shady. Pretty amazing that we tried to get a guy out of CLA, it seems like Martin of all people would have known exactly how shady it all really was. It's encouraging like Dax said to know that we are at least willing to look into doing business with these types.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
This was a tough break:

Exactly. Isn't there a guy here named Three Fingers? The whole time I was like "holy christ can this place get anymore shady?" and then it would just get more awesomely shady. Pretty amazing that we tried to get a guy out of CLA, it seems like Martin of all people would have known exactly how shady it all really was. It's encouraging like Dax said to know that we are at least willing to look into doing business with these types.

"get a guy out of CLS..."   If you are talking about Mitchell, we sent him there.   

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
Pretty amazing that we tried to get a guy out of CLA, it seems like Martin of all people would have known exactly how shady it all really was. It's encouraging like Dax said to know that we are at least willing to look into doing business with these types.

"get a guy out of CLS..."   If you are talking about Mitchell, we sent him there.   

yeah, lol.  "willing to look into doing business".  this is martin and sr-?'s former asst. coach.