Author Topic: 2011-12; returning numbers comparison  (Read 2828 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2011-12; returning numbers comparison
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
http://goEMAW.com/blog/?p=986

A look at what the Cats have returning next year compared to previous seasons under Frank. Just one way to look at returners, but gives an early glimpse.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-12; returning numbers comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:08:13 AM »
skipped right to the ..... :frown:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »
Another trip to the tourney.   :pbj:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:16:10 AM »
Nice work _fan,  :crossfingers: hope you're right with the psuedo-prediction
:adios:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:22:13 AM »
I like the comments on the 3pt shooting. 

I see us being a lot like Louisville in the sense that a good deal of our points next year will come from beyond the arc.  I think that there will be times when you have a combination of Spradling, McGruder, Russell/Jones (either or), Rodriguez, etc. where the main point will be bombs away.  Like Louisville, we'll most likely rely on a shorter lineup with fewer big men to get the job done.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:28:55 AM »

I see us being a lot like Louisville in the sense that a good deal of our points next year will come from beyond the arc.  I think that there will be times when you have a combination of Spradling, McGruder, Russell/Jones (either or), Rodriguez, etc. where the main point will be bombs away.  Like Louisville, we'll most likely rely on a shorter lineup with fewer big men to get the job done.

Good comparison, the only thing is the FT line. We won't get 35% of our points from 3s, nor will 40% of our shots be from 3s like Louisville because we will be much more proactive attacking the basket. Louisville's FT rate under Pitino is terrible and I don't see Frank putting up with that.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:41:05 AM »

Good comparison, the only thing is the FT line. We won't get 35% of our points from 3s, nor will 40% of our shots be from 3s like Louisville because we will be much more proactive attacking the basket. Louisville's FT rate under Pitino is terrible and I don't see Frank putting up with that.

The only problem that I have with that is that other than Russell (and/or Jones) and I guess Rodriguez, we don't really have guys that attack the basket.

Spradling, to this point, hasn't shown a propensity to dribble drive, and I think most agree that's Rodney's main weakness as well.  Southwell isn't bad, but he's more likely to get past his man and shoot a ten foot jumper than go straight to the hoop.  Russell and Peterson have been the two that have shown the most ability to get into the lane and try to create something, but their turnover rates are discouraging.  I think part of this staff's infatuation with Jones is that, based on what I've read, he has a propensity to get in the lane and score or go to the line.  He scores roughly 20% of his points from the foul line on 74% shooting.

Frank may not like the fact that we won't shoot a high number of free throws, but if he wants that to happen, he's going to need to play Russell (or Jones), Peterson, and he's going to have to tell Jamar and JHR to get more aggressive.  Rodriguez, if he's able, will also need to be a guy that gets dirty and heads into the trees as well, which I believe he's somewhat known for, and why I think he plays as many, if not more, minutes than Spradling did earlier this year.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:08:27 PM »
95's FTR will be ... you guessed it: 95  :driving:

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »

The only problem that I have with that is that other than Russell (and/or Jones) and I guess Rodriguez, we don't really have guys that attack the basket.

Spradling, to this point, hasn't shown a propensity to dribble drive, and I think most agree that's Rodney's main weakness as well.  Southwell isn't bad, but he's more likely to get past his man and shoot a ten foot jumper than go straight to the hoop.  Russell and Peterson have been the two that have shown the most ability to get into the lane and try to create something, but their turnover rates are discouraging.  I think part of this staff's infatuation with Jones is that, based on what I've read, he has a propensity to get in the lane and score or go to the line.  He scores roughly 20% of his points from the foul line on 74% shooting.

Frank may not like the fact that we won't shoot a high number of free throws, but if he wants that to happen, he's going to need to play Russell (or Jones), Peterson, and he's going to have to tell Jamar and JHR to get more aggressive.  Rodriguez, if he's able, will also need to be a guy that gets dirty and heads into the trees as well, which I believe he's somewhat known for, and why I think he plays as many, if not more, minutes than Spradling did earlier this year.
You are forgetting Irving and he has had some games that he has shone he can get to the rim so that adds one more attack minded player to the list.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
Quote from: Panjandrum
I think part of this staff's infatuation with Jones is that, based on what I've read, he has a propensity to get in the lane and score or go to the line.  He scores roughly 20% of his points from the foul line on 74% shooting.

Having seen Jones play in person(watched Region 6 Title game against Coffeyville), I'm not convinced his ability to get into the lane and subsequently get to the line is going to translate to high-major DI ball. He's got a decent handle and was able to use that to create some space to get shots for himself from deep and from mid-range but by no means would I call him an "ankle breaker" that just destroys people off the dribble. Add to that, he's just really frickin skinny, he's just not going to be nearly strong enough to just bull his way into the paint against the big boys.

I would say he's a little more athletic than I was expecting, also has really long arms for 6'1"-6'2" guy, I would say he tried on D(It was the title game after all)but "active" or "disruptive" aren't words that come to mind here.

You had probably come to this conclusion but, strength of his game is his jumpshot, decent looking form with smooth release, can knock it down in midrange and shoots it with ease out to 30 ft(NOT bs'ing on the range). Didn't shoot it real well in game I saw, but again, he's got a smooth stroke and had decent shooting #'s on the season.

My primary concern is that if his jumper isn't falling, I don't know if he brings enough to the table in other areas(Playmaking, defense, rebounding) to make a real impact for KSU next year. Has Frank ever had a designated shooter/instant offense guy that has gotten consistent minutes and/or was kept in the fold? Would Jones accept that role?

At the end of the day, just not convinced he's THAT much better than what we already have, just my take.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »
spradling will get to the rim much more next year. He showed flashes, but was passive because Frank didn't want him taking possessions away from Pullen.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
omari also looks like a FTR guy  :dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »
spradling will get to the rim much more next year. He showed flashes, but was passive because Frank didn't want him taking possessions away from Pullen.

has the handles to drive.  his midrange stepback j could be really effective if he was a credible threat to finish a drive.  needs to learn how to shoot over defenders.  maybe clemente will return long enough to teach him the floater.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »
omari also looks like a FTR guy  :dunno:

Forgot Omari.  Good point.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »
I think part of this staff's infatuation with Jones is that, based on what I've read, he has a propensity to get in the lane and score or go to the line.  He scores roughly 20% of his points from the foul line on 74% shooting.

Having seen Jones play in person(watched Region 6 Title game against Coffeyville), I'm not convinced his ability to get into the lane and subsequently get to the line is going to translate to high-major DI ball. He's got a decent handle and was able to use that to create some space to get shots for himself from deep and from mid-range but by no means would I call him an "ankle breaker" that just destroys people off the dribble. Add to that, he's just really frickin skinny, he's just not going to be nearly strong enough to just bull his way into the paint against the big boys.

I would say he's a little more athletic than I was expecting, also has really long arms for 6'1"-6'2" guy, I would say he tried on D(It was the title game after all)but "active" or "disruptive" aren't words that come to mind here.

You had probably come to this conclusion but, strength of his game is his jumpshot, decent looking form with smooth release, can knock it down in midrange and shoots it with ease out to 30 ft(NOT bs'ing on the range). Didn't shoot it real well in game I saw, but again, he's got a smooth stroke and had decent shooting #'s on the season.

My primary concern is that if his jumper isn't falling, I don't know if he brings enough to the table in other areas(Playmaking, defense, rebounding) to make a real impact for KSU next year. Has Frank ever had a designated shooter/instant offense guy that has gotten consistent minutes and/or was kept in the fold? Would Jones accept that role?

At the end of the day, just not convinced he's THAT much better than what we already have, just my take.

Glad you threw that in there.  I was just going off of this numbers and the writeups from the R6 tournament where he seemed to get to the line a lot.  Assumed he had handles based on what was written.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
maybe clemente will return long enough to teach him the floater.

he showed it a couple times.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »

You are forgetting Irving

So did our coaching staff, so it stands to reason that we should forget him as well.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
You are forgetting Irving and he has had some games that he has shone he can get to the rim so that adds one more attack minded player to the list.

Yeah, but his extremely poor free throw shooting kind of makes him somewhat counterproductive to this strategy.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »
I think part of this staff's infatuation with Jones is that, based on what I've read, he has a propensity to get in the lane and score or go to the line.  He scores roughly 20% of his points from the foul line on 74% shooting.

Glad you threw that in there.  I was just going off of this numbers and the writeups from the R6 tournament where he seemed to get to the line a lot.  Assumed he had handles based on what was written.

I know he got to the line a lot in the semis against Cowley(featuring Trus McGee going to Iowa St), but only 2 FTA's in title game, just didn't think he attacked real well against the aggressive, athletic guard play of Coffeyville's guards who were all solid, but probably not B12 caliber.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »
One thing I find particularly encouraging is our returning 3p% and 3pM.  Also, _Fan said that he included CK and DC numbers at UConn and Miami to the numbers for their first seasons.  If he hadn't we are probably looking at the most returning #'s in nearly every category (the 09/10 guard dominated stats not withstanding).
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.