Author Topic: Hello  (Read 12039 times)

Offline mellinger

• Fan
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:13:20 PM »
Hey guys, Sam Mellinger here from the KC Star newspaper. Been covering baseball, but now moving to sports columnist, where I'll hopefully be doing more K-State stuff (along with the other schools). Pete was nice enough to invite me over here to introduce myself.

I really hope we can all have an open communication, that we can always be fair and understand where the other side is coming from. Communication with people nice and interested enough to read my stories has always been important to me.

I'm at [email protected] or twitter.com/mellinger.

I have a KSU column or two in mind, but am always open to suggestions, tips, comments and questions. Looking forward to getting started.

Thanks for reading this.
-- Sam

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:15:54 PM »
oh hai
:babywillie:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:16:28 PM »
1. Basketball recruiting information
2. Don't care about the rest tbh.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »
unless your first column is an expose about SLTHs, then I am not interested.
Message Board Samurai

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:17:48 PM »
since this is the "getting aquainted" period, I must ask.  Were you ever called "smellinger" growing up?  

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 01:21:30 PM »
Hit us with your bio Sam.  Education, arrests and local KC hotspots you frequent.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
recruiting recruiting recruiting

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »
Hit us with your bio Sam.  Education, arrests and local KC hotspots you frequent.

Also, Sam, which local media person could you beat in a fist fight/wrestling match?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 01:23:04 PM »
it's probably hard to do columns on kstate bball recruiting all the time, but you should really, really try.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Broadway

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »

I am also a sucker for a good SLTH discussion.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »

I am also a sucker for a good SLTH discussion.

Someone is going to have to explain to him what SLTH means, otherwise hes going to write a column on Cat fans liking sloths.  Guess I don't see a problem with that cause sloths are pretty cool.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline bruce

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
Just another kellis lawrence dork covering teh qhatz:

Sam Mellinger has been a sports writer at The Star since 2000, covering major league baseball and the Royals since 2006. He's won a few writing awards, which he credits more to his editors and low contest standards, but his mother remains impressed.

Besides baseball, Sam loves college basketball, the absurdity of sports, wings at The Peanut, and his friends. This will be primarily a Royals and baseball blog, but be prepared for other stuff you may or may not care about.

Sam started this blog in February of 2008 for a couple reasons. He wanted to create a place for stories and anecdotes and other stuff that don't fit in the newspaper, and hopefully have some fun along the way. Hopefully it's worth it.

Besides, if you hate it, Sam has given you an easy way to make fun of his blog. Just use its initials.

The Star was Sam's first job after graduating from Kansas in 2000. Before that, he worked at the Topeka Capital-Journal and Cincinnati Enquirer. His first job was at the Lawrence Journal-World, where he was so big-time at age 16 that he typed obituaries for no pay. Like Biggie said, Mo' money, mo' problems.

Sam grew up in Emporia and Lawrence, where he was part of the greatest sophomore basketball B-team in Lawrence High history. He now lives in downtown Kansas City.

Writing this in the third person made Sam feel a bit too much like Rickey Henderson, but it seems to be how most of these "About" explainers are done, so whatever.

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 01:39:27 PM »
He doesn't need me to stick up for him, but Sam is extremely good people. Talented dude.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »

Sam Mellinger has been a sports writer at The Star since 2000, covering major league baseball and the Royals since 2006. He's won a few writing awards, which he credits more to his editors and low contest standards, but his mother remains impressed.

Besides baseball, Sam loves college basketball, the absurdity of sports, wings at The Peanut, and his friends. This will be primarily a Royals and baseball blog, but be prepared for other stuff you may or may not care about.

Sam started this blog in February of 2008 for a couple reasons. He wanted to create a place for stories and anecdotes and other stuff that don't fit in the newspaper, and hopefully have some fun along the way. Hopefully it's worth it.

Besides, if you hate it, Sam has given you an easy way to make fun of his blog. Just use its initials.

The Star was Sam's first job after graduating from Kansas in 2000. Before that, he worked at the Topeka Capital-Journal and Cincinnati Enquirer. His first job was at the Lawrence Journal-World, where he was so big-time at age 16 that he typed obituaries for no pay. Like Biggie said, Mo' money, mo' problems.

Sam grew up in Emporia and Lawrence, where he was part of the greatest sophomore basketball B-team in Lawrence High history. He now lives in downtown Kansas City.

Writing this in the third person made Sam feel a bit too much like Rickey Henderson, but it seems to be how most of these "About" explainers are done, so whatever.

oscar Haertl?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Broadway

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »

:drool:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 01:56:16 PM »
He's terrible.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »
I give him the benefit of the doubt over Kellis because Dobesinger didn't formally run an anti-KSU blog that he lied about and then immediately took down while insulting everyone's intelligence.

Also, he doesn't beat his wife.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
I want an in depth investigation on improper benefits given to referees.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 02:09:42 PM »
He doesn't need me to stick up for him, but Sam is extremely good people. Talented dude.

his "i'll introduce myself, but not bother to respond to replies in my introduction thread" attitude doesn't support this good people agenda you're pushing.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »

his "i'll introduce myself, but not bother to respond to replies in my introduction thread" attitude doesn't support this good people agenda you're pushing.

I'd guess that he's down at spring training and, you know, working at the moment. But that's just my guess.  :)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 02:37:39 PM »
I'd guess that he's down at spring training and, you know, working at the moment. But that's just my guess.  :)

hey, no one forced him to introduce himself.  unless, i guess, you started such a trend that eagle*star sports writers are now being forced to introduce themselves on kstate message boards.

Offline Johnny Thunderbone

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »
favorite deli meat?

Offline Levi

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »
Come on A.Q. Miller... PRODUCE!