Author Topic: Sooners...  (Read 1950 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sooners...
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:03:40 AM »
kenpom has them as the worst team in the league, and the worst defensive team in the league.  Defensively they are definitely not a pressure team as they don't get steals, they don't force TOs, and they don't block shots at a high pace.  Teams also generally shoot pretty well against them and overall they have been very poor, giving up a high eFG% and a high 3PT%. 

However, the key in their 3 best wins (OSU, MU, and UT) is that the opponents shot poorly overall, but expecially from behind the arc.  OSU shot 5-25 (20%), MU shot 5-21 (23.8%) and UT shot 5-18 (27.8%).  I have no idea how much of this was due to their defense and how much was due to a poor shooting night from the opponents, probably a bit of both. 

A few other stats of interest; a) it appears Capel has taken the SLTH philosophy on offensive boards in that the Sooners are below average in that area.  They are also a fairly low-paced team at 67 per.  b) Another interesting aspect will be drawing fouls, the Cats are #1 in the country at it, and OU is top 20 in not allowing teams to go to the FT line.  c) They are also solid, but not great, at not allowing offensive rebounds.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sooners...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 10:34:27 AM »
Does kenpom factor in the timing of games at all? I.e., does he give more weight to a game the more recently it was played?

catzacker

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
will be interesting to see how we match up defensively with warren and mason-griffin on the floor at the same time.  if I was capel I would tell whomever denis is matched up with to drive to the basket every...single...time cause denis has no ability to stay with either of them (the reverse may be true as well, I suppose).

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »
IMO, this game is about Kelly and Samuels and the bigs.  How well they :

A. Exploit mismtaches offensively.

B. Provide help D on the guards

C. Outrebound OU's smallish frontline.

Will determine the outcome.  The guards likely play to a stalemate..if the game becomes all about the guards, we probably lose a close one.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »
OU will be one of our tougher games.  They are one of the more athletic, talented teams in the league. 

They are also incredibly lazy and indifferent.  However, when they want to play, their potential is apparent (i.e. Texas game). 

I'm not sure which OU we're gonna see, but if we don't jump on them early, I fear we're gonna see OU's talent and athleticism shine through. 

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

catzacker

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 12:26:09 PM »
1-3-1 zone  :runaway:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 02:41:03 PM »
1-3-1 zone  :runaway:

Good thing we had the first half of the CU game to show us our new 1-3-1 offense was epic fail.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
kenpom has them as the worst team in the league, and the worst defensive team in the league.  Defensively they are definitely not a pressure team as they don't get steals, they don't force TOs, and they don't block shots at a high pace.  Teams also generally shoot pretty well against them and overall they have been very poor, giving up a high eFG% and a high 3PT%.

However, the key in their 3 best wins (OSU, MU, and UT) is that the opponents shot poorly overall, but expecially from behind the arc.  OSU shot 5-25 (20%), MU shot 5-21 (23.8%) and UT shot 5-18 (27.8%).  I have no idea how much of this was due to their defense and how much was due to a poor shooting night from the opponents, probably a bit of both.

A few other stats of interest; a) it appears Capel has taken the SLTH philosophy on offensive boards in that the Sooners are below average in that area.  They are also a fairly low-paced team at 67 per.  b) Another interesting aspect will be drawing fouls, the Cats are #1 in the country at it, and OU is top 20 in not allowing teams to go to the FT line.  c) They are also solid, but not great, at not allowing offensive rebounds.

You have to attribute this to the players on the floor don't you, don't know if it is a SLTH philosophy?  Even if they weren't somewhat beat up and their players actually cared, it doesn't look to me like their pieces are substantial enough to be a quality oreb team.  Gallon is too damn slow and their forwards just aren't particularly long and athletic. 

Really in retrospect one could make the argument that being lazy isn't their biggest issue, but their pieces just aren't that good.  They have two talented guards and an out-of-shape but developing center, what do they have beyond that?  They have one real forward and its Ryan Wright and frankly he sucks.  Again in retrospect, pretty poorly constructed team, but Capel knows his pieces and shouldn't have put a team on the floor that looks like this.  Can't guard anyone or expect orebs without athletes at the forward position.