Author Topic: Great news Cats fans: Science proves we are younger, richer and not bandwagon  (Read 216866 times)

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
Trim, I will donate asap.  It won't be $250, but I'll do what I can.

Just whatever a multimillionaire can spare, Ben.  Every little bit counts.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
this thread should stand as the model thread as to why this board sucks crap.
it's devolved into the shittiest posters picking on the easiest target. 

YOU GO TO KU, SUCK IT!  :flush:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Lyin King can't get 12-1 out if his head.

I tell you what Lyin King, give $250 to BBBS (drop in the bucket for anyone who has a trust fund that size) and I will admit you aren't another broke ku fan.

Ps.  Your idea of "vacation" is Texas in May?

Why would I drop $250 on a board that pretty much hates me?  And Austin, TX in June is a good place to be. 

:ck:

No one hates you Beems, except quite possibly yourself. 

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It's the dead season. Board should really have a two-month hiatus.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

i like this idea, however- the Board of Directors would never allow it.  imagine the dip in ad revenue...

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Just stick to combo-fanning in the offseason.  If the occasional nugget forms in a sports board a good Samaritan will hopefully post something about it in there.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

i like this idea, however- the Board of Directors would never allow it.  imagine the dip in ad revenue...

We should shut the whole thing down until August and then have the 1st Annual goEMAW Family Reunion on the boards.  We could put yard signs out and everything.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
it's devolved into the craptiest posters picking on the easiest target.

We should shut the whole thing down until August and then have the 1st Annual goEMAW Family Reunion on the boards.  We could put yard signs out and everything.

eff the Foo Fighters

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Cooking Board gets some of it's best input during the off season, i bet.

Keep it open please.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
it's devolved into the craptiest posters picking on the easiest target.

eff the Foo Fighters

To paraphrase beems:

wut?

:flush:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
No joke. a "KU Alumni" magazine is in the break room of the warehouse that I work at for my summer job.  They are now settling for warehouse jobs with 20 y/o college kids working during summer break  :lol:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Damn, the rich just get richer!

http://m.kansascity.com/kcstar/db_41475/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=SA2MvVQ6&src=cat

Farmers’ successful year helps other parts of U.S. economy

By DIANE STAFFORD

The Kansas City Star

An overall lackluster economy is masking a bright spot: the farm economy.

Despite isolated droughts and floods that have ruined some Midwest crops this spring, times are generally good for U.S. farmers.

And that is creating a financial trickle-down throughout agriculture-related industries. Sales of big farm implements, for example, are strong.

Net income at John Deere & Co. doubled in the first half of this year compared with the same time last year. And that’s good news for more than just Deere.

“When farmers buy a $300,000 combine, the people at the factory who build the combine have jobs, the parts supplier has jobs, the truckers who take the stuff up and down the highways have jobs, and I make a living off a farmer,” said Greg Schwartz, who sells agricultural implements at the Heritage Tractor dealership in Baldwin City, Kan.

Even the government’s report last week that the corn crop is likely to be smaller this year sent farm machinery company stocks higher based on the upward push that report gave to corn prices — fostering the expectation that more farm equipment will be bought.

Schwartz is careful to note that the high crop prices pumping up farm income are balanced by high expenses.

“Farmers’ costs are incredibly high and keep going up,” he said. “Record prices on the commodities board means the price of a bag of seed corn goes up, along with the price of fertilizers and chemicals and the fuel the farmer needs to put in that combine in the field.”

A bag of seed corn costs more than $200 to plant about four acres, he noted.

But the good news on the sale side is that a bushel of corn is up to about $7.50 from $4 a year ago.

Overall, net farm income is expected to be about 20 percent higher in 2011 than 2010, said Jason Henderson, economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City’s Omaha, Neb., branch.

“The row crop side — corn, wheat, beans and cotton — will lead most of the gains, but cattle and hog producers are returning to profitability,” Henderson said. “That translates into more jobs on the farms and ranches, and it fosters increases in hours worked and wage rates in the food processing companies.”

Henderson also noted that farmland values are up. At a time when housing prices have slumped or stagnated, farm acreage is selling at up to 20 percent higher than last year in some markets, with institutional investors as well as farmers buying.

“An indirect effect is that improves farmers’ balance sheets, and that makes it easier to get loans,” said Tom Jackson, a regional economist with IHS Global Insight. Farming, he noted, is a “very credit-driven industry.”

Another big plus for the farm economy is higher export demand, especially from China. In addition to row crops, pork, particularly, is a rising export.

Rising domestic demand and global demand are fueling a need for bioscience experts to help improve crop yields.

The health of the farm economy — unlike the economy at large — isn’t as tied to employment or unemployment statistics, simply because the demand for labor is relatively small.

Still, employment in the agricultural sector rose 1.83 percent from March 2010 to March 2011 — a healthy sign compared with a barely perceptible gain of 0.69 percent in the non-farm sector, according to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis.

And more job growth is expected.

“In the past five years we hired 4,000 people, and we expect to add another 4,000 in the next five years,” said Randy Minton, business director for Pioneer Hi-Bred International, a seed and crop protection company. “We need more genetics researchers, more plant breeders, more agronomic sales and marketing folk.”

Pioneer, among other agricultural research companies, is recruiting deep into college agricultural programs — especially, Minton said, at about 30 land grant universities such as Kansas State, Iowa State, Nebraska and Missouri.

“Worldwide, people are eating better, demanding more protein in their diets,” Minton said. “It’s a very small population of farmers that will actually meet the global demand for food for people, the feed for animals and the bio materials needed.”

The United States is the world’s largest exporter of corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton and sorghum. This year, the forecast calls for about 13.3 percent of the corn crop and 51.4 percent of the wheat crop to be exported.

There’s a flip side to higher crop prices, though, that’s hitting livestock and dairy producers who are coping with higher feed costs. And that flip side also affects consumers, who are paying more in the grocery store.

But when the crops are good and prices rise, it allows farmers to invest in the equipment that bolsters productivity.

“Machines are doing the work, so even when farms expand, the requirement for men per acre is down,” said David Lambert, an agricultural economist at Kansas State University.

“Driving a combine is not labor-intensive, so there isn’t an explosion in jobs. Lots of people have been pulled or pushed off the land because of mechanization.”

Jackson left his family farm in western Ohio to hold a desk job as an economist.

But the farm is prospering without his contribution of daily labor.

“My family farm hasn’t gotten bigger. It’s still pretty much my brother and my dad,” Jackson said. “But the equipment has gotten bigger. Seed and fertilizer growth has increased productivity. Crop prices are up. So, yes, things are doing well back home.”

Will that kind of farm prosperity last?

Those who remember the farm foreclosure crises of the 1980s say some downturn — perhaps a 20 percent drop in corn prices — is expected, but there are big differences from a generation ago.

Then, rising land values and low interest rates motivated many farmers to go into debt to expand on the assumption that commodity prices would continue to rise.

But the farmland bubble burst, overproduction sent prices lower, and a grain embargo limited exports, causing ripple effects in banking and industry as farms failed.

“The difference today is that farmers haven’t piled up debt,” said Henderson, the Fed economist. “Their debt-to-asset ratio is at a near-historic low. Even if there’s a correction in values, farmers have a lot of wealth in equity, enough to withstand correction.”

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
meat goat revenues are way up as well.   :gocho:

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Just a quick question here.  Can I get a detailed description of the 12-1 record in all sports vs KU?  What I know are the following:

Football  1-0
Men's BBall  1-1
Women's BBall  2-0
Baseball  3-0
Volleyball  1-0
Women's Tennis  1-0

That leaves me at 9-1.  Other sports include men's & women's golf, cross country, and track & field.  But those are not head-to-head games vs another team.  Are we just saying since we finished ahead of KU in the standings in those sports that we beat them?  If so, wouldn't that mean 13-1?  I'm leaving out equestrian and rowing here because those are not NCAA controlled, right? 

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just a quick question here.  Can I get a detailed description of the 12-1 record in all sports vs KU?  What I know are the following:

Football  1-0
Men's BBall  1-1
Women's BBall  2-0
Baseball  3-0
Volleyball  1-0
Women's Tennis  1-0

That leaves me at 9-1.  Other sports include men's & women's golf, cross country, and track & field.  But those are not head-to-head games vs another team.  Are we just saying since we finished ahead of KU in the standings in those sports that we beat them?  If so, wouldn't that mean 13-1?  I'm leaving out equestrian and rowing here because those are not NCAA controlled, right? 

Another day, another squawk outed. 

Quote from: Blair Kerkhoff
K-STATE (12) vs. KANSAS (1)
Football: K-State 59-7
Volleyball: K-State 3-1, K-State 3-2
Rowing: K-State 13-6
Men’s basketball: Kansas 90-66, K-State 84-68
Women’s basketball: K-State 65-60, K-State 56-51
Women’s tennis: K-State 5-2, K-State 4-1
Baseball: K-State, 11-10, K-State 13-9, K-State 10-6

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Football  1-0
Men's BBall  1-1
Women's BBall  2-0
Baseball  3-0
Volleyball  1-0
Women's Tennis  1-0

Another day, another squawk outed. 

Quote from: Blair Kerkhoff
K-STATE (12) vs. KANSAS (1)
Football: K-State 59-7
Volleyball: K-State 3-1, K-State 3-2
Rowing: K-State 13-6
Men’s basketball: Kansas 90-66, K-State 84-68
Women’s basketball: K-State 65-60, K-State 56-51
Women’s tennis: K-State 5-2, K-State 4-1
Baseball: K-State, 11-10, K-State 13-9, K-State 10-6

OK, thanks.   :)  Sorry I missed that we beat them twice each in volleyball and tennis.  Didn't look at the schedules carefully enough. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Riley Co. getting healthier all the time.

Offline EMAWgeddon

• Combo-Fan
  • Go away, I'm walking on sunshine
    • View Profile
Yesterday, Kstate alum John P. Bilbrey was named President and CEO of Hershey Co.  :lick:  :kstategrad: :emawkid:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Yesterday, Kstate alum John P. Bilbrey was named President and CEO of Hershey Co.  :lick:  :kstategrad: :emawkid:
:kstategrad:

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I assume he is taking over for a another KState grad who no longer needs to work.  Cause he's so rich, ya know?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile