Author Topic: Great news Cats fans: Science proves we are younger, richer and not bandwagon  (Read 216880 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I learned about diversifying from an episode of the Chapelle Show.  Lol @ Ben for needing 5 yrs of college for that.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Ben do you understand in investing there is a huge importance on the "when"?

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
My initial source: 

http://www.solar-facts-and-advice.com/solar-investments.html

For example: First Solar (FSLR) – (up 4,685%) and Trina Solar (TSL) – (up 1,774%) during 2010 have both had good years – and investors who got in early are no doubt very happy they did so.

:ck:

This just keeps getting more interesting

Apparently google searching for some quick information has its limitations. 

Not a big deal.  Whatever happens to First Solar in the future, it will always live on as part of goEMAW folklore right up there with the Amare Camp and the selection committee.

First Solar's a giant in the industry.  It's not going anywhere.  Like I said, though, the solar industry is going through a transition phase right now, and a lot of the smaller companies will start to consolidate with companies like First Solar in the future. 

If this was 2001, beems would be investing his entire 401k in Enron.

First of all, I would never pour all of my money into one stock.  Diversifying investments is one of the first things you learn about in economics/finance.  Second, pretty much everyone who follows the energy market will tell you that solar energy is the way of the future.  It's not a matter of "if."  It's a matter of "when."

I'm with Ben...I think solar (and other renewables) are coming; the rest of the world industrialized world is banking on it.  Below is a link to an NPR story from the other day, there was a blurb about Germany and Japan moving away from nuclear, and abandoning large nuclear projects that had been in the pipeline, and getting upto 40% from renewable energy, the majority of which is solar.  <Like most things, the US will probably lag behind...  :dubious:>

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/16/136280398/nuclear-nations-turn-to-natural-gas-and-renewables

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
goEMAW.com is being considered by Forbes to be on their List of America's Most Promising Companies.  No joke.

Offline FranklyFrankYou

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
What about wind energy? I mean we live in a state that is known for being windy...why doesn't goEMAW capitilize on that with a few retire now bill windmills

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Wind is actually bigger than solar.  Read a magazine that they are going to try and place wind farms out at sea.  Seems pretty cool.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
There's enough natural gas under the ground to power this country for a hundred years or more.  The technology is already there to cheaply and efficiently turn natural gas into energy we can use. 

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
operating profit seems more important than gross profit.  but i'm not a cfo so  :confused:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I learned about diversifying from an episode of the Chapelle Show.  Lol @ Ben for needing 5 yrs of college for that.

Yes.  Wu Tang Investment ain't nothing to eff with.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Beems knows a lot about the environment.  More than some of you environmental engineer majors.  Should probably take what he says more seriously.  Especially Solar Power.  Beems knows his Solar Power.  Probably more than some of you who worked on the K-State Engineer solar car, which has won multiple awards and races.  OregonHawk knows Green.
The company i work for is making the body for their new car  :thumbsup:
Three young soon to be filthy rich qatz engineering students are at my plant today. We are donating the tooling and production of the body for their SAE race car. Myself and Arthur Brown SR. Took them one plant tour :handsignforaracecar:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What about wind energy? I mean we live in a state that is known for being windy...why doesn't goEMAW capitilize on that with a few retire now bill windmills

Brownback says we need tall grass prairie for tourists so thats probably going to be a no go
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Beems knows a lot about the environment.  More than some of you environmental engineer majors.  Should probably take what he says more seriously.  Especially Solar Power.  Beems knows his Solar Power.  Probably more than some of you who worked on the K-State Engineer solar car, which has won multiple awards and races.  OregonHawk knows Green.
Three young soon to be filthy rich qatz engineering students are at my plant today. We are donating the tooling and production of the body for their SAE race car. Myself and Arthur Brown SR. Took them one plant tour :handsignforaracecar:

I thought you were going with the Sig Ep's car!?   :horrorsurprise:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
The sun casts enough energy on the world to power humans super easy, but I'd like a raise of hands from all the retards in class that think we're anywhere remotely close to having it a viable option to supply enough electricity. Anyone besides Ben? There are so many reasons why we're nowhere close to it being realistic. Like, not in our lifetime without a major advancement in technology. If you think we can find a cheap, reliable way to collect the power above the clouds, relay it to ground level without major losses and can store that energy for the dark hours, then yeah, we’re really close.

Right now, the best are concentrated solar power plants in the world are only supplementary for peak hours and only worth a damn if they are in a super sunny part of the world like deserts (which most of the population in the world don't live). The best design I’ve come across are parabolic mirrored troughs with piped oil running down the focal point. This oil  gets heated to 500* or thereabouts. Some of this oil gets stored in insulated banks while some goes on to make steam and then recirculated through the troughs. After the sun starts going down, you pump the stored oil out to make steam. It’s a great design, but still won’t work for all hours and sure as eff doesn’t have an solar panels.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Society of Automobile Engineers

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
The sun casts enough energy on the world to power humans super easy, but I'd like a raise of hands from all the respects in class that think we're anywhere remotely close to having it a viable option to supply enough electricity. Anyone besides Ben? There are so many reasons why we're nowhere close to it being realistic. Like, not in our lifetime without a major advancement in technology. If you think we can find a cheap, reliable way to collect the power above the clouds, relay it to ground level without major losses and can store that energy for the dark hours, then yeah, we’re really close.

Right now, the best are concentrated solar power plants in the world are only supplementary for peak hours and only worth a damn if they are in a super sunny part of the world like deserts (which most of the population in the world don't live). The best design I’ve come across are parabolic mirrored troughs with piped oil running down the focal point. This oil  gets heated to 500* or thereabouts. Some of this oil gets stored in insulated banks while some goes on to make steam and then recirculated through the troughs. After the sun starts going down, you pump the stored oil out to make steam. It’s a great design, but still won’t work for all hours and sure as eff doesn’t have an solar panels.

This.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Society of Automobile Engineers

Oh.  They had a rough ridin' awesome room to room last semester.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
OregonHawk,

Can you you provide me any "inside" financial tips? Like, when I should buy a stock because a company is about to enter in to a multi-billion dollar merger?

Thanks in advance.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The sun casts enough energy on the world to power humans super easy, but I'd like a raise of hands from all the respects in class that think we're anywhere remotely close to having it a viable option to supply enough electricity. Anyone besides Ben? There are so many reasons why we're nowhere close to it being realistic. Like, not in our lifetime without a major advancement in technology. If you think we can find a cheap, reliable way to collect the power above the clouds, relay it to ground level without major losses and can store that energy for the dark hours, then yeah, we’re really close.

This.

I don't expect solar power to be used as a replacement for fossil fuels, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the solar power industry grows in the coming years. Europe has a very vocal environmentalist community, and renewable energy is stressed heavily. Renewable energy infrastructure will only grow in the United States, as well, but not as fast as it will in Europe.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
yes, can you pls use your game theory and A Beautiful Mind tips to help a bro out.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Topeka is much better than any of those places.

Is it true that Topeka is getting a 23rd St. Brewery? 
Haven't heard of anything like that.  Prefer Free State.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile

This.

I don't expect solar power to be used as a replacement for fossil fuels, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the solar power industry grows in the coming years. Europe has a very vocal environmentalist community, and renewable energy is stressed heavily. Renewable energy infrastructure will only grow in the United States, as well, but not as fast as it will in Europe.
All power will grow in the coming years because

1) population is increasing exponentially and
2) there has been a lull in the power industry due to lack of financing and there will be a positive backlash (most likely) in the coming years.

So yes, it will grow.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
My initial source: 

http://www.solar-facts-and-advice.com/solar-investments.html

For example: First Solar (FSLR) – (up 4,685%) and Trina Solar (TSL) – (up 1,774%) during 2010 have both had good years – and investors who got in early are no doubt very happy they did so.

This just keeps getting more interesting

Apparently google searching for some quick information has its limitations. 

Not a big deal.  Whatever happens to First Solar in the future, it will always live on as part of goEMAW folklore right up there with the Amare Camp and the selection committee.

First Solar's a giant in the industry.  It's not going anywhere.  Like I said, though, the solar industry is going through a transition phase right now, and a lot of the smaller companies will start to consolidate with companies like First Solar in the future. 

If this was 2001, beems would be investing his entire 401k in Enron.

First of all, I would never pour all of my money into one stock.  Diversifying investments is one of the first things you learn about in economics/finance.  Second, pretty much everyone who follows the energy market will tell you that solar energy is the way of the future.  It's not a matter of "if."  It's a matter of "when."

I'm with Ben...I think solar (and other renewables) are coming; the rest of the world industrialized world is banking on it.  Below is a link to an NPR story from the other day, there was a blurb about Germany and Japan moving away from nuclear, and abandoning large nuclear projects that had been in the pipeline, and getting upto 40% from renewable energy, the majority of which is solar.  <Like most things, the US will probably lag behind...  :dubious:>

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/16/136280398/nuclear-nations-turn-to-natural-gas-and-renewables

:blush:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile

My friend Kyle mentioned something about it the other day.  Have you been to The Lazy Toad yet?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile

My friend Kyle mentioned something about it the other day.  Have you been to The Lazy Toad yet?
Nope - heard it sucked.