Author Topic: Great news Cats fans: Science proves we are younger, richer and not bandwagon  (Read 213237 times)

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
:popspimplethencallsmaidtocleanoffthebloodHAHAJUSTKIDDINGrichpeopledontgetacne:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
:kicksbackincornerofficeone30thfloorwithviewofdowntownkcandpopsopendrpepperwithcherrybottle:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
:popsbrooksbrothersoxfordcollar:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
K-state Fans:

Ku Fans:

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
I'm not going to change.  Will continue to be nice to ku and mu fans.  Even though they are below me.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm not going to change.  Will continue to be nice to ku and mu fans.  Even though they are below me.

Tip them well.   

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
This study basically confirms what Dax has said all along.  But now it's not a theory, it's fact.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Is this something I can print off and keep in my pocket for when a squak resorts to calling me a goat farmer/hick/whatever I pull it out and call him a FP, TC, etc and tell him to give me my double-cheese?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
glad this info is finally out there for all to see.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Is this something I can print off and keep in my pocket for when a squak resorts to calling me a goat farmer/hick/whatever I pull it out and call him a FP, TC, etc and tell him to give me my double-cheese?

Glad you asked...easy to read graph for even the poorest hillbilly

Offline wetty

• Fan
  • supercool
    • View Profile
yachts on the reg  :cool:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm going to need to re-starch my collar . . . I'll get the domestics on that right away.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
Would be hilarious to compare this to CU fans in Denver.  Most of the differences between the schools aren't statistically significant.  But what the hell is a KU fan who isn't into basketball?  One that is notable is the male vs. female ratio of K-State fans.  Chicks hate K-State (but I think they outnumber men enrolled at school.)  

Also, RIP Gary Raffety.  

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
What about Gary?

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lol @ the attendance figures.  lol.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
JFC, imagine if Weefer would have had these numbers during his reign.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
One of the most oft-repeated of the stereotypes is that MU fans all live in trailers. That’s been around forever. However, in the survey, it might surprise you to discover that only 3.1% of Tiger fans live in mobile homes… but 3.6% of Kansas fans can be found in a trailer park! Makes you think.

:horrorsurprise:

Offline Jarvis_Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
KU fans actually have a lower average household income than K-State fans ($76,657 to $75,170), and Mizzou supporters are not far behind at $73,565.

Are these figures net or gross?

Who calculates net household income?  Seems like that would be pretty distorted.

Good point. Just wanted to have all the facts before I determined how I compare.

Online deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Doesn't include the cool graph from the actual paper.

Also, LOL that ku fans had to stay in school so long...

Although it happened nearly 20 years ago, the memory is still fresh in Phil Carr’s mind.

When Carr was a child, his family would travel from Topeka to visit his grandparents in Columbia. They weren’t affiliated with the University of Missouri, but the trips always revolved around a KU-MU game.

For Carr, it was a ruthless introduction to the passion of the Border War.

“I remember I spilled my nachos, and (the MU fans) just would be cheering,” Carr said. “And I was a 5-year-old kid.”

Carr now has what might best be described as MU fan radar.

“I would say I could point out a Missouri fan without them wearing any Missouri gear,” said Carr, a 2008 KU graduate.

Likewise, MU grad Pat Ryan believes he can spot Kansas fans in a crowd.

“The Mizzou crowd would be more fun to roll to an event with, but I’d probably have to have a bigger damage deposit on the hotel room,” said Ryan, a 1992 graduate and a three-time letterwinner on the Tigers football team. “Mizzou is a little bit more blue-collar lunch pail.

“The KU crowd is a little bit more spoon-fed and debutant and high society. My impression is KU people are just a little bit more needy and entitled. Sweater vest-wearing, Ivy League wannabe.”

But here’s the dirty little secret. Fans of the two schools — and Kansas State for that matter — are not all that different.

A Scarborough Research poll of 1,959 adults in the Kansas City area found that supporters of all three schools are similar in most demographics.

And in what’s likely a stomach-turning twist to the more hardcore fans, some of the respondents said they were fans of more than one of the three schools.

The overall breakdown showed that 46.3 percent of those polled called themselves KU fans, followed by 38.6 percent for Missouri and 29 percent for K-State.

If that seems on the low end for Wildcats backers, think again. Gary Raffety, a 1969 graduate of K-State, can remember a time when Wildcats fans were an afterthought here.

“Back when I was just out of college,” Raffety said, “you couldn’t go out to the store and find anything with Kansas State University on it. … Usually it was limited to KU and Missouri in Kansas City.”

So perhaps the number of Wildcat fans is unexpectedly high. A closer examination of the survey may be surprising to those with preconceived notions of the enemy.

Those “spoon-fed, entitled” KU fans actually have a lower average household income than K-State fans ($76,657 to $75,170), and Mizzou supporters are not far behind at $73,565.

Kansas fans had the highest level of education, averaging 14.4 years of schooling. But MU and K-State aren’t far off, each averaging 14.2.

The average age of the fans is similar as well: the average K-State fan is 45.3 years old, followed by KU at 45.9 and MU at 46.1.

That the fans are a lot alike wasn’t surprising to Carr.

“You hear those stereotypes, but I don’t necessarily know if that’s true,” said Carr, who admitted he was careful with words since his boss is a MU fan. “It’s too big of a stereotype to fall under. I’ve always had the theory if you go along with the stereotypes, you only make yourself seem worse.”

The poll results did reveal some differences. K-State had the largest percentage of male supporters at 59.8 percent, followed by Mizzou (56) and KU (54). In turn, KU ranked highest in female fandom (46 percent of the overall fan base). MU had 44 percent, while K-State is at 40.2 percent.

Perhaps not surprisingly, KU fans showed a higher level of interest in college basketball than their MU counterparts (87 percent to 79.2), but both schools ranked behind K-State (89 percent).

In football interest, K-State (87.7 percent) leads the way, followed by KU (82.9) and Missouri (81.9).

That speaks to the passion of K-State’s supporters. And if there is one thing that unites Mizzou and Kansas fans, it’s their view of Wildcats fans … though not in the way one might think.

Both Ryan and Carr actually have a fond view of the Wildcats — as long as they are not playing their team.

“I can tolerate K-State,” Ryan said. “They are more like an orphan and you feel sorry for them and you root for them.”

Especially when the Wildcats play KU. And Carr feels the same way when the Wildcats take on Mizzou. In fact, Carr has a number of friends who attended K-State.

That both schools are in Kansas probably helps bridge the gap.

“Maybe (it’s because) we have so many family members who go to both schools,” Raffety said. “Maybe that has something to do with it.”

Given the geographic distance separating MU and K-State, that rivalry is not quite as strong as the one between the Tigers and Jayhawks. Plus, Raffety said, the Wildcats had little football success before LHC Bill Snyder arrived in Manhattan.

“I think their attitude toward us has probably changed somewhat,” Raffety said. “We used to be Silo Tech, but now I think they have a little more respect for us.”

All-out loathing? That’s reserved for the relationship between the Border War teams.

The Nacho Incident will always stick with Carr — as will that early impression of Mizzou’s fans.

“It wasn’t just one or two people,” he recalled. “It was the whole section.”

The insurance sales market is crowded with ku grads...their look-alike and wannabe degree programs prepare their grads for little else.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Will start increasing my give-a-penny contribution for you, hawkz.

Offline oodfan

• Fan
    • View Profile
Would be hilarious to compare this to CU fans in Denver.  Most of the differences between the schools aren't statistically significant.  But what the hell is a KU fan who isn't into basketball?  One that is notable is the male vs. female ratio of K-State fans.  Chicks hate K-State (but I think they outnumber men enrolled at school.)  

Also, RIP Gary Raffety.  
:nono:  This chick doesn't hate!  I can't believe someone hasn't pointed out the obvious though ~  Pretty much closes the case on the whole EMAW/EPAW debate doesn't it?

<<<<<Firmly on the EMAW side FWIW

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
MU fan who came and fixed the cable box for the 52" plasma in my kids room is really furious about this.  Said he knows at least a group of mu fans who make $74,000 between the 3 families that live under one roof.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lol at the insanely high number of ku graduates in kc. they manage to finally graduate from ku in lawrence and then move all the way to....kansas city. way to aim high ku grads.  :lol:

meanwhile, ksu grads are heading to new york, denver, san francisco and other cultural meccas. ku group just happy to make it to tanners on a friday night so they can get some chicken fingers and budweiser beer.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:49:26 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
lol at the insanely high number of ku graduates in kc. they manage to finally graduate from ku in lawrence and then move all the way to....kansas city. way to aim high ku grads.  :lol:

:lol:

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

meanwhile, ksu grads are heading to new york and denver and other cultural meccas. ku group just happy to make it to tanners on a friday night so they can get some chicken fingers and budweiser beer.

Soco shots.