Author Topic: Big 12 Awards  (Read 22296 times)

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Big 12 Awards
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:01 PM »
Big 12 DVD Makers of the Year:  Kansas State

:D

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:16 PM »
Not that surprising when you think about the likely breakdown of votes by the coaches:

For the Flying Elbow:  

*  Frank
*  Travis Ford. Elbows had a better game than Jake, KU won & apparently the coaches don't get along.
*  Tad Boyle. Last meeting with CU (most recent memory), Jake had 12 points on 4-12 and that costly TO at the end of the game. KU guy, too.
*  Mike Anderson. Morris & Co. just finished brutalizing Mizzou inside, and there's enmity between the coaches again here.
*  Turd. K-State lost even though Jake had better game than Elbows, and he's a KU guy.
*  Hoiberg. Elbows went for 33 against them in 1st game.

For Pullen:

*  Self.
*  Barnes.
*  Capel ?

Who knows on Doc, Knight, and Drew.  And that's all assuming nobody voted for Burks, which could have happened.

I'd have voted for Burks... he's obviously the best player in the league yet on the poorest team of the bunch. Thuggish is the worst player of the bunch and on the best team. Jake is the most valuable player to his team out of the bunch.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
I agree that Turgeon did a nice job, but the "aTm has no talent" talking point is over done. Middleton, Loubeau, Harris, and Holmes were all rated Top 100 HS players by various recruiting sources. Another FR that didn't play much was also Top 100.  Granted, none of these guys were Top 50, but still some talented guys. Its not like Turgeon took Doc-like talent and pulled off a miracle.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »
Turd, much as I hate the little crybaby bitch should have been COY.

Either him or Boyle.

For a first year coach, what Boyle did was damn near a miracle, even with Burks.

Absolutely ridiculous.  Both of you should be ashamed, unless you dudes are high, in that case grats.  CU literally did nothing Nebraska didn't outside of winning in Manhattan.  A&M did not distinguish itself from KSU whatsoever.  There is very little difference between A&M, CU, NU, and Mizzou and you guys think one if those slobs are worthy of an award?  I had a slight hope that the coaches would eff that award up like they did the POY, and give it to Frank.  They did the right thing, Frank gets credit for making a much needed adjustment, but it shouldn't be forgotten that some of the turmoil in the slow start was his fault.

:users:

Turgeon won ten games in this league with...what?  Kris Middleton?  David Loubeau?  He literally pulled a rabbit out of his hat and found some way to win ten games with a team that has less overall talent than Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Texas, and Baylor (at a minimum).

Boyle, a first year coach at CU, had the first winning record at Colorado since Ricardo Patton was there, had five top 50 wins, and has them squarely on the bubble for their first NCAA tournament since 2003.

I'm not going to say Self has no case for the award, but seriously...the eight wins Boyle got and the ten wins Turgeon got were much more impressive than the fourteen Self did when you look at what all three of them had to work with.

You can disagree, but to say it's 'absolutely ridiculous unless we're high' is kind of a stretch as well, don't you think?

No it's absolutely ridiculous.  First of all, A&M plays in the south they got 6 games against Tech, Oklahoma, & OSU.  Like I said they are no different than the other teams I listed.  Secondly, you listed those players but if you look at the recruit rankings you could make a claim that Turgeon's teams have underachieved, despite having their easy as hell conference schedule.  Even if you don't want to say his teams have underachieved, they certainly haven't been exceptional by any standard, not award worthy.

I couldn't give half of a damn about Colorado's basketball history and no one should when it comes to a coach of the year award.  Tad Boyle has two pros & finished one game better than Nebraska.  Lets not act like Boyle drug them out of some abyss, he's there because the previous coach got a better job.  Colorado is a whole 2 games better.

The reasons you list for Turgeon & Boyle fit better for Doc.  

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »
I agree that Turgeon did a nice job, but the "aTm has no talent" talking point is over done. Middleton, Loubeau, Harris, and Holmes were all rated Top 100 HS players by various recruiting sources. Another FR that didn't play much was also Top 100.  Granted, none of these guys were Top 50, but still some talented guys. Its not like Turgeon took Doc-like talent and pulled off a miracle.

I'm not arguing that they don't have talent; half of the teams (if not more) in this league recruit at that level.  KU, Texas, Baylor, OSU, Missouri, KSU, A&M, and Oklahoma have all recruited at a high level in the past few years.

But, to me, I think that Turgeon did more with what he had this year.  He didn't have a Pullen to score 20 points a game.  He didn't have the home court advantage that Mizzou has.  He most certainly didn't have the talent that Baylor has.  But, somehow, he managed to get his team to a third place finish against all of those teams pointed out with similar talent/footing.

Bill Self has outstanding talent and won the conference.  Rick Barnes has outstanding talent and took second.  Turgeon has good talent and took third.  KSU has good talent and took fourth.  Missouri has good talent and took sixth.  You look at A&M and Colorado in their respective seeds, and you think, "Really?  Huh."

The fact that they stand out, to me, means more than Bill Self winning with his parade of four and five star players.  But, again, that's just me.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2011, 11:29:45 PM »
First of all, A&M plays in the south they got 6 games against Tech, Oklahoma, & OSU.  Like I said they are no different than the other teams I listed.  Secondly, you listed those players but if you look at the recruit rankings you could make a claim that Turgeon's teams have underachieved, despite having their easy as hell conference schedule.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=11521.msg249669#msg249669

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2011, 11:35:33 PM »

I'm not arguing that they don't have talent; half of the teams (if not more) in this league recruit at that level.  KU, Texas, Baylor, OSU, Missouri, KSU, A&M, and Oklahoma have all recruited at a high level in the past few years.

But, to me, I think that Turgeon did more with what he had this year.  He didn't have a Pullen to score 20 points a game.  He didn't have the home court advantage that Mizzou has.  He most certainly didn't have the talent that Baylor has.  But, somehow, he managed to get his team to a third place finish against all of those teams pointed out with similar talent/footing.

Bill Self has outstanding talent and won the conference.  Rick Barnes has outstanding talent and took second.  Turgeon has good talent and took third.  KSU has good talent and took fourth.  Missouri has good talent and took sixth.  You look at A&M and Colorado in their respective seeds, and you think, "Really?  Huh."

The fact that they stand out, to me, means more than Bill Self winning with his parade of four and five star players.  But, again, that's just me.

You're being surprisingly obtuse about this.  Do you watch Big 12 basketball?  A&M has every bit the home court advantage that Mizzou has, actually probably better.  The difference is Mizzou is a better team.  You are using their record as a base for your argument, ignoring the fact that their 3rd place finish was schedule driven.

Like I said your argument fits better for Doc.

Offline lmfergu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2011, 11:37:25 PM »
this is the biggest bucking bs fing award for player of the year ever.  It's about like Beasley not getting national player of the year.  Fing bs.  It's not even close.  Another bj for Ku.  Give me an fing break, Pullen deserved this.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
First of all, A&M plays in the south they got 6 games against Tech, Oklahoma, & OSU.  Like I said they are no different than the other teams I listed.  Secondly, you listed those players but if you look at the recruit rankings you could make a claim that Turgeon's teams have underachieved, despite having their easy as hell conference schedule.

I realize people on message boards never change their minds or admit their opinion may have been shallow.   This has been pretty one sided, as bad of a beating that a non-tard will take.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2011, 11:53:09 PM »
Turd, much as I hate the little crybaby bitch should have been COY.

Either him or Boyle.

For a first year coach, what Boyle did was damn near a miracle, even with Burks.

Absolutely ridiculous.  Both of you should be ashamed, unless you dudes are high, in that case grats.  CU literally did nothing Nebraska didn't outside of winning in Manhattan.  A&M did not distinguish itself from KSU whatsoever.  There is very little difference between A&M, CU, NU, and Mizzou and you guys think one if those slobs are worthy of an award?  I had a slight hope that the coaches would eff that award up like they did the POY, and give it to Frank.  They did the right thing, Frank gets credit for making a much needed adjustment, but it shouldn't be forgotten that some of the turmoil in the slow start was his fault.

:users:

Turgeon won ten games in this league with...what?  Kris Middleton?  David Loubeau?  He literally pulled a rabbit out of his hat and found some way to win ten games with a team that has less overall talent than Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Texas, and Baylor (at a minimum).

Boyle, a first year coach at CU, had the first winning record at Colorado since Ricardo Patton was there, had five top 50 wins, and has them squarely on the bubble for their first NCAA tournament since 2003.

I'm not going to say Self has no case for the award, but seriously...the eight wins Boyle got and the ten wins Turgeon got were much more impressive than the fourteen Self did when you look at what all three of them had to work with.

You can disagree, but to say it's 'absolutely ridiculous unless we're high' is kind of a stretch as well, don't you think?

No it's absolutely ridiculous.  First of all, A&M plays in the south they got 6 games against Tech, Oklahoma, & OSU.  Like I said they are no different than the other teams I listed.  Secondly, you listed those players but if you look at the recruit rankings you could make a claim that Turgeon's teams have underachieved, despite having their easy as hell conference schedule.  Even if you don't want to say his teams have underachieved, they certainly haven't been exceptional by any standard, not award worthy.

I couldn't give half of a damn about Colorado's basketball history and no one should when it comes to a coach of the year award.  Tad Boyle has two pros & finished one game better than Nebraska.  Lets not act like Boyle drug them out of some abyss, he's there because the previous coach got a better job.  Colorado is a whole 2 games better.

The reasons you list for Turgeon & Boyle fit better for Doc.  

Look, I hate Turgeon as much (if not more) than anyone.  But all I'm saying is that when I look at his team, and I look at the production he lost from last year, I think getting to ten wins was impressive.  He hasn't recruited at a level any higher than KSU, Mizzou, OU, or OSU have in recent years.  You can probably throw Baylor into that mix as well.  Yet, for the second consecutive year, he has them with double digit wins, and of all of the teams in the top six or seven places in this conference, he doesn't really have a true 'star'.  Middleton was pretty pedestrian, statistically, for the majority of the conference season.

I guess with the overall level of parity in this league, at least in the middle, I see A&M as the one team that floated to the top of the heap when you remove Kansas State due to the lack of achieved expectations.  Of all of the teams with a first round bye, they were the one that wasn't expected to be there by the majority of prognosticators.  You can say it's due to a weaker South, but I don't personally think that the gap is as large as you make it out to be.  Four of their conference losses were to Baylor and Texas, both of which have more talent than they do, and the home loss to Baylor was in OT.  They lost to NU on the road (which all but two teams did this year), and they lost to Kansas on Senior Night.  All of those losses are respectable.

All I'm saying is that when I look at a cocktail of variables, I think Turgeon did the best with what he had.  Bill Self has the best season, and Rick Barnes looked like the runaway favorite about two weeks ago.  But KU had the talent for a 14 win team.  Texas had the talent for a 13 win team.  KSU had the talent for a thirteen win team.  But Turgeon, in my opinion, had less talent than Mizzou, Baylor, and Kansas State, and he won ten games with it.  I'm going to give him credit for that.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2011, 12:00:50 AM »

I realize people on message boards never change their minds or admit their opinion may have been shallow.   This has been pretty one sided, as bad of a beating that a non-tard will take.

Damn it, man.  I appreciate the compliment (non-tard), but I'm willing to :bang: about this.

If anything, I hate giving it to Bill Self by default.  Barnes couldn't get it because they collapsed at the end.  Frank couldn't get it because of the inability to live up to expectations.  Anderson couldn't get it because, well, duh.  And you're right about Boyle; you can't give it to an 8-8 coach.

I just hate the fact that we're giving the COY to the guy that has a bench full of Top 50 players and, gasp, actually wins a bunch of games with them.  I literally hate it.  It's like giving the Big 12 football COY to Mack Brown and Bob Stoops.  They should win that award every damn year.  Bill Self or Rick Barnes should win the COY award every year.  I just hate it when they do because, damn it, it just demeans the damn thing.

I'll admit that I'm being obtuse, but KU has a rough ridin' McDonald's All-American riding the pine behind Tyshawn and Elijah Johnson.  If Self isn't winning 14 games a year, he should just quit altogether.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2011, 12:13:05 AM »
Big 12 DVD Makers of the Year:  Kansas State

see, you had this argument won. Then you go all butt hurt on us.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2011, 12:22:47 AM »

Damn it, man.  I appreciate the compliment (non-tard), but I'm willing to :bang: about this.

If anything, I hate giving it to Bill Self by default.  Barnes couldn't get it because they collapsed at the end.  Frank couldn't get it because of the inability to live up to expectations.  Anderson couldn't get it because, well, duh.  And you're right about Boyle; you can't give it to an 8-8 coach.

I just hate the fact that we're giving the COY to the guy that has a bench full of Top 50 players and, gasp, actually wins a bunch of games with them.  I literally hate it.  It's like giving the Big 12 football COY to Mack Brown and Bob Stoops.  They should win that award every damn year.  Bill Self or Rick Barnes should win the COY award every year.  I just hate it when they do because, damn it, it just demeans the damn thing.

I'll admit that I'm being obtuse, but KU has a rough ridin' McDonald's All-American riding the pine behind Tyshawn and Elijah Johnson.  If Self isn't winning 14 games a year, he should just quit altogether.

No, it's undoubtedly a win by default.  He benefitted from the conference having a large middle class of teams unable to distinguish themselves.

Offline SoonerHoopsfan

• Land Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2011, 12:35:45 AM »
2 thats right count'em 2 honorable mention all big 12 players. 

#greatestteamever

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2011, 07:30:09 AM »
I agree that Turgeon did a nice job, but the "aTm has no talent" talking point is over done. Middleton, Loubeau, Harris, and Holmes were all rated Top 100 HS players by various recruiting sources. Another FR that didn't play much was also Top 100.  Granted, none of these guys were Top 50, but still some talented guys. Its not like Turgeon took Doc-like talent and pulled off a miracle.

I'm not arguing that they don't have talent; half of the teams (if not more) in this league recruit at that level.  KU, Texas, Baylor, OSU, Missouri, KSU, A&M, and Oklahoma have all recruited at a high level in the past few years.

But, to me, I think that Turgeon did more with what he had this year.  He didn't have a Pullen to score 20 points a game.  He didn't have the home court advantage that Mizzou has.  He most certainly didn't have the talent that Baylor has.  But, somehow, he managed to get his team to a third place finish against all of those teams pointed out with similar talent/footing.

Bill Self has outstanding talent and won the conference.  Rick Barnes has outstanding talent and took second.  Turgeon has good talent and took third.  KSU has good talent and took fourth.  Missouri has good talent and took sixth.  You look at A&M and Colorado in their respective seeds, and you think, "Really?  Huh."

The fact that they stand out, to me, means more than Bill Self winning with his parade of four and five star players.  But, again, that's just me.

Go look at recruiting rankings from the past 4 years. Half the teams in the league do not recruit better than aTm, maybe 3 or 4 teams have better talent/recruiting (again, going off HS recruiting rankings) than aTm.  KU, UT, and BU, but other than that their recruiting is the same or better than everyone else.

And again, the only teams in the league with worse schedules this year were ISU and CU.

Nobody is saying that Turgeon didn't/doesn't do a good job, but it wasn't COY worthy.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2011, 07:31:45 AM »
No original content ever from the Tardville Talking Point.

Ever

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »
Go look at recruiting rankings from the past 4 years. Half the teams in the league do not recruit better than aTm, maybe 3 or 4 teams have better talent/recruiting (again, going off HS recruiting rankings) than aTm.  KU, UT, and BU, but other than that their recruiting is the same or better than everyone else.

And again, the only teams in the league with worse schedules this year were ISU and CU.

Nobody is saying that Turgeon didn't/doesn't do a good job, but it wasn't COY worthy.

I acquiesced in a previous post.

I just hate giving it to Bill Self by default.  I hate it.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2011, 08:31:04 AM »
I acquiesced in a previous post.

I just hate giving it to Bill Self by default.  I hate it.

Me too, but he's a darn good coach. I know the Nortards have been bad, but to have 1 loss to NU/ISU/CU in the last 7 years is ridiculous.

Really, the only weird thing in Big 12 play for KU is losing to both OSU and Tech 3 times each in that stretch.