Author Topic: C-Merr at the line....24 seconds....  (Read 10504 times)

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
Re: C-Merr at the line....24 seconds....
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:07 AM »
Irving is behind only Merys in level of pissed off I am when he's in the game.  Some HBBIQer show me the stat for +/- or whatever for him.  

don't know about stats but it looks like he plays solid defense.  hustles.  not a great passer but doesn't puke the ball away.  makes FTs.  plays PG apparently better than Russell who seems to be the only other option.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »
i like how he f'ed with all of us banging it in off the front of the rim  

Greg Sharpe Bob Knight'd that one.  "He missed! ... oh I guess it went in."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 11:49:32 AM »
He's not a great athlete and does get beat b/c of it sometimes, but he knows exactly where to be

:bs:  For every charge Merrs takes, he allows 2 layups by being late to help.

Point remains, its clear for whatever reason Frank trusts him.  Clearly he wasn't going to put anyone else in during his Off-Def substitutions at the end.  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
Irving is behind only Merys in level of pissed off I am when he's in the game.  Some HBBIQer show me the stat for +/- or whatever for him.  

don't know about stats but it looks like he plays solid defense.  hustles.  not a great passer but doesn't puke the ball away.  makes FTs.  plays PG apparently better than Russell who seems to be the only other option.

Pullen and Clems are the other options.  They don't need to come off the court pretty much ever.  

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 11:58:54 AM »
According to statsheet, Merrs' +/- avg. coming into the NU game was +0.4. His avg. RR was -10.9

Here's the kicker though: his Clutch +/- (defined as under 5 minutes left in the 2nd half, or OT) average was -4.0. Clutch RR was -6.7.

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
Irving sucks right now. He shouldn't jack up threes like its his only offensive skill, and if Frank gives Energy more PT because of this freak clutch happening, I'm gonna lose my crap. The moment Chris enters the game before the 10 minute mark, Frank will make a very powerless enemy.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »
Irving sucks right now. He shouldn't jack up threes like its his only offensive skill

That is his only offensive skill.  That's why I don't like him :dunno:  I am terrified when he's handling the ball.  I have hopes he gets much better though.  His dancing shows me he's got the athletic ability to do more. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »
Really the credit for Merri being in that situation and playing really doesn't belong to him.  There is a clear relationship between Frank's trust for Merri and his trust for Irving/McGruder or Sutton being in foul trouble.  For the most part lately McGruder has done fine, and I think that's who Frank would rather have out there, and then Irving.  Now, its really only when those two falter that Merri is going to play.  In last night's case McGruds was pretty much lost in the few minutes he played and Irving had the defensive breakdown that forced Frank's hand. 

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »
Really the credit for Merri being in that situation and playing really doesn't belong to him.  There is a clear relationship between Frank's trust for Merri and his trust for Irving/McGruder or Sutton being in foul trouble.  For the most part lately McGruder has done fine, and I think that's who Frank would rather have out there, and then Irving.  Now, its really only when those two falter that Merri is going to play.  In last night's case McGruds was pretty much lost in the few minutes he played and Irving had the defensive breakdown that forced Frank's hand. 

How come Merrs' defensive breakdown that led to Irving coming in in the first place didn't force Frank's hand?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 12:17:38 PM »
Really the credit for Merri being in that situation and playing really doesn't belong to him. 

He could...I don't know...STOP TRYING.  For the good of the team, of course.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »
How come Merrs' defensive breakdown that led to Irving coming in in the first place didn't force Frank's hand?

Frank took Merr out when he had a rebound bounce off his hands and go out of bounds.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 12:23:35 PM »

Frank took Merr out when he had a rebound bounce off his hands and go out of bounds.

He also gave up a basket right before that.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »

True.

Its pretty clear that Merr playing any minutes, unless we are up 20, is always going to be a problem for you kougs.  And that's fine, but Frank probably won't change.  Will be fun to see the reaction when Frank puts in CMerr to get a stop with the Cats up 4 in the Sweet 16 game.

:grin:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »

True.

Its pretty clear that Merr playing any minutes, unless we are up 20, is always going to be a problem for you kougs.  And that's fine, but Frank probably won't change.  Will be fun to see the reaction when Frank puts in CMerr to get a stop with the Cats up 4 in the Sweet 16 game.

:grin:

Not really. Merrs playing beyond the under-4 TO in the 2nd half is probably always going to be a problem for me though, and stats back me up on that, it seems.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
Irving is taking shots within the offense, isn't that what you dumbasses want?  The rest of the arguements should end there.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 12:46:39 PM »
Irving is taking shots within the offense, isn't that what you dumbasses want?  The rest of the arguements should end there.

I've really got no problem with Irving.  I think he'll be a solid player.  He had a decent game last night and hit some clutch FTs.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »
OT but feels right here:  I hate the shazbot! out of Irving the basketball player

can shoot
:confused:

whether or not it goes in shouldn't matter.  he can shoot the ball.  for additional background, see dax's anti-clemente thread.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »
I was still  :curse: :curse: :curse: at the 3 pointer he threw up and missed a few minutes before.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »
OT but feels right here:  I hate the shazbot! out of Irving the basketball player

can shoot
:confused:

whether or not it goes in shouldn't matter.  he can shoot the ball.  for additional background, see dax's anti-clemente thread.

so he needs to shoot more or stop shooting cold turkey.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
I had no worries about Merri shooting it.  I was thinking even if he makes 2 we're screwed when they jack a three from the back elbow with a hand in their faces and it still banks in.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb