Author Topic: Holy War  (Read 139724 times)

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Religion,Bible,Church, Etc. Thread
« Reply #575 on: April 13, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »
A religious individual does not have to be homophobic to shun a homosexual individual, be they family or not.

If God appeared before you today and said that homosexuality was immoral behavior, you wouldn't have to suddenly despise gay people. You could simply recognize that their behavior is ultimately wrong and immoral. That doesn't require hate or fear, that requires a moral judgement of behavior.

But since we've all become more than comfortable assuming each others 'true' motivations, the 'religion is homophobic/hateful' narrative has taken full force for a cop-out answer and guaranteed emotional reaction.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 13, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
Haven't done a lot of research myself, but from my limited understanding and what I've heard from people who have researched them, Buddhism and Hinduism sound like pretty badass organized religions.  :dunno:  Gun to my head, I'd prolly pick one of those.

Gun to my head, mind you.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 14, 2011, 06:21:59 AM »
Haven't done a lot of research myself, but from my limited understanding and what I've heard from people who have researched them, Buddhism and Hinduism sound like pretty badass organized religions.  :dunno:  Gun to my head, I'd prolly pick one of those.

If a gun were to you're head, it would probably be atheism or islam you would pick.

Just sayin'.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 14, 2011, 08:08:43 AM »
cause atheists and muslims regularly convert at gun point?

:opcat:

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 14, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »

If a gun were to you're head, it would probably be atheism or islam you would pick.

Just sayin'.

atheism isn't a religion  :ck:

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »

Just sayin'.

In today's world, it clearly is.  Organization, indoctrination, prostleitization, etc.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 14, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »

Just sayin'.

In today's world, it clearly is.  Organization, indoctrination, prostleitization, etc.
No.  Atheism is pretty much this =
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 14, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »

Just sayin'.
Please name the last few famous murderers/criminals that committed their respective crimes/murders in the name of atheism.  tia.  :popcorn:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #583 on: April 14, 2011, 10:16:44 AM »

Just sayin'.
Please name the last few famous murderers/criminals that committed their respective crimes/murders in the name of atheism.  tia.  :popcorn:
sigh, you he's going to name mao and stalin.  and probably hitler too. 

never before have i seen both sides of an argument be so rough ridin' terrible at making a point

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 14, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »
The fact that so many possibilities remain leaves all conclusions incorrect and impossible...except for the conclusion that there is no conclusion.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 14, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
I agree this thread has probably run it's course.  :users:

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 14, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »
The fact that so many possibilities remain leaves all conclusions incorrect and impossible...except for the conclusion that there is no conclusion.

Yeah... no.

The fact that so many possibilities remain is just further evidence that its a tough question.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 14, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »

Just sayin'.

:flush:

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 15, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »
It's a worldview. It just doesn't have a pope other than Jesus H. Dawkins.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #589 on: April 15, 2011, 11:59:19 PM »
It's a worldview. It just doesn't have a pope other than Jesus H. Dawkins.

I don't know.  Maybe.

Is not believing in Santa Claus a world view?  If so, then yes, it's a world view.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 16, 2011, 01:41:27 AM »
Is not believing in Santa Claus a world view?  If so, then yes, it's a world view.

Not believing in Santa Clause does not drastically change your perspective on anything really. I didn't realize that Santa dictated what good and bad were, other than you shouldn't do bad. I didn't realize that Santa claimed creation over the world. I didn't realize Santa did much of anything other than deliver presents.

Bad comparison.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 20, 2011, 01:58:40 AM »
A religious individual does not have to be homophobic to shun a homosexual individual, be they family or not.

If God appeared before you today and said that homosexuality was immoral behavior, you wouldn't have to suddenly despise gay people. You could simply recognize that their behavior is ultimately wrong and immoral. That doesn't require hate or fear, that requires a moral judgement of behavior.

No, I'd think God was a total Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). Who cares if a man likes to stick his dick in another man's ass, or a woman likes to lick another woman's pussy? How is that wrong or immoral?

And please don't say, "Because the Bible HURRR DURRRRR"

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 20, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »

No, I'd think God was a total Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). Who cares if a man likes to stick his dick in another man's ass, or a woman likes to lick another woman's pussy? How is that wrong or immoral?

And please don't say, "Because the Bible HURRR DURRRRR"

Maybe God said "Hey, whoa there boys! Those parts were not designed to be used in that way! I know they sort of fit together and kind of get the job done, but using them in that manner voids your limited lifetime warranty."

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 20, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »

No, I'd think God was a total Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

So you were created in God's image then.   :grin:

Offline KSU187

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »
<---- Wonders why Athiesm vs. Theism always ends up with the "butt effing" discussion.  It always comes back to gayness, and people not accepting said gayness.... Jesus, who really cares?

For the atheist, who cares if religious people don't accept gays? What does it matter? Must everyone agree with you?

There are plenty of religions/denominations that do. Some groups not accepting the queerz is not a basis for wholesale condemnation.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 20, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »
For the atheist, who cares if religious people don't accept gays? What does it matter? Must everyone agree with you?

"Don't accept" is a pretty broad strawman. Personally, I have a problem with gays not having equal rights as straight people, based solely on their gayness, like I would any other group of people that is not harming others. I imagine this is how many atheists feel, as well.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 20, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »

"Don't accept" is a pretty broad strawman. Personally, I have a problem with gays not having equal rights as straight people, based solely on their gayness, like I would any other group of people that is not harming others. I imagine this is how many atheists feel, as well.

I imagine you experience some form of revulsion at the idea of polygamy and/or incest.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 20, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »

They have equal rights as everyone else, and in some cases, extra "rights".  We've been over this.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »

I imagine you experience some form of revulsion at the idea of polygamy and/or incest.

Again, that's a strawman. I have experienced revulsion at the 2 girls 1 cup video, but I don't think they should be stripped of any rights the average American enjoyed. Similarly, I don't think polygamy or incest should be illegal as long as they occur among consenting adults, (although I have not researched the possibility of birth defects from incest to speak intelligently on that matter).

Regardless, I definitely am not in favor of stripping participants of those practices their basic human rights.

They have equal rights as everyone else, and in some cases, extra "rights".  We've been over this.

no, they don't.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 20, 2011, 02:12:10 PM »
what rights are we talking about exactly?  Legally married and health insurance benefits etc?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best