Author Topic: Holy War  (Read 139747 times)

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Religion,Bible,Church, Etc. Thread
« Reply #475 on: March 25, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »
To be honest, Catholicism is awful. The only reason I support their existence is they have exorcists and I may need one some day.

To be honest, Catholicism isn't much worse than most religions.  The main problems with them being no contraception, no abortion, hating on gays, and last and not least, not handling mumped up priests.  I guess it's hard for me to hate on them too much having grown up as one, which is the opposite of how it usually happens.  Of course I think the fundamentalists are way worse, but different perspectives. 

Of course I think they are all full of crap, so in the end its all a comparison of which is the biggest turd. 

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 25, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
To be honest, Catholicism is awful. The only reason I support their existence is they have exorcists and I may need one some day.

To be honest, Catholicism isn't much worse than most religions.  The main problems with them being no contraception, no abortion, hating on gays, and last and not least, not handling mumped up priests.  I guess it's hard for me to hate on them too much having grown up as one, which is the opposite of how it usually happens.  Of course I think the fundamentalists are way worse, but different perspectives. 

Of course I think they are all full of crap, so in the end its all a comparison of which is the biggest turd. 

I grew up as one as well....hate the crap out of the Catholic Church. It's too reliant on tradition for traditions sake and boring as hell.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 25, 2011, 11:39:25 PM »

I grew up as one as well....hate the crap out of the Catholic Church. It's too reliant on tradition for traditions sake and boring as hell.

What do you identify as now, just for curiosity

edit:  I asked for proof of god's existence earlier in this thread and have yet to receive any.  Why should I believe in something without proof? 

Or let's put it into more scientific terms.  H0:  There is no god.  - disprove that
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:44:01 PM by dohminator »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 25, 2011, 11:56:26 PM »

edit:  I asked for proof of god's existence earlier in this thread and have yet to receive any.  Why should I believe in something without proof? 

Or let's put it into more scientific terms.  H0:  There is no god.  - disprove that

There being a God make much more scientific sense than the big bang occurring with no catalyst.

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:02 AM »

There being a God make much more scientific sense than the big bang occurring with no catalyst.

How so?

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 26, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »

I grew up as one as well....hate the cac out of the Catholic Church. It's too reliant on tradition for traditions sake and boring as hell.

Disagree

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 26, 2011, 01:18:54 AM »

How so?

Because scientifically speaking, there had to be matter for the big bang to occur. Where did that matter come from?

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 26, 2011, 02:15:39 AM »

How so?

Because scientifically speaking, there had to be matter for the big bang to occur. Where did that matter come from?

1. How can theists insist that God is eternal, but that matter had to have come from somewhere?

2. Matter always existed. (link) God is an unnecessary hypothesis.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 26, 2011, 02:43:01 AM »

How so?

1. How can theists insist that God is eternal, but that matter had to have come from somewhere?

The matter was just there? Nothing created it? It just formed the universe by chance?

The big bang theory simply states that the universe is expanding, therefore in the past, it must have been infinitely small. It cannot and does not explain the creation of the universe.

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 26, 2011, 02:56:03 AM »

I'm a Protestant.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 26, 2011, 08:44:23 AM »

How so?

The matter was just there? Nothing created it? It just formed the universe by chance?

The big bang theory simply states that the universe is expanding, therefore in the past, it must have been infinitely small. It cannot and does not explain the creation of the universe.

This is exactly what keeps me on the side of this line that I am on.

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 26, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2007/07/01/what-happened-before-the-big-bang/

Woah, it looks like the actual science is advancing on this subject. See, that's the cool thing about science, they don't stop trying just because they reach a tough a spot.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:55:36 AM by dohminator »

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 26, 2011, 11:30:19 AM »
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2007/07/01/what-happened-before-the-big-bang/

Woah, it looks like the actual science is advancing on this subject. See, that's the cool thing about science, they don't stop trying just because they reach a tough a spot.

The not yet complete theory proposed in this article just raises more questions. In, fact in raises questions about another universe.

A particular problem is that of entropy. For the previous universe to have have collapsed, it's entropy would had to approach an absolute minimum. For our universe as we approach t=0 we approach infinite density and temperature at a finite point in time (yes, the article points this out). We have observed that our universe expanded from the infinite density and temperature to where we are today, and as the expansion continues entropy approaches a maximum limit. So basically entropy goes from 0 to positive infinity for our universe as we know it. If the proposed new theory is assuming that the previous universe is a somewhat backwards model of our universe, it still doesn't explain what happens at t=0 or t=infinity, it just shows that at that time the rules of the current model no longer apply.

Our current universe model will eventually become too cool to sustain life because it expands forever. So this gives us only a few options. 1) something we have no idea about happens at t=infinity in order to to reverse the process back toward the minimum of entropy. 2) the previous universe has completely different constraints (volume? mass? energy? limits of entropy?). 3) our current model is farther off then what we think. Either way this new theory just raises more questions ,could be good, could be bad.

The reason it could be bad is that our model may become skewed because we don't have enough info. And, we may never have enough info. For the theory of relativity to work light must travel at a finite rate. This means the light from things that have already happened an extremely long time ago may never reach us. Inflationary theory attempts to resolve this but by assuming that the bounds of the observable universe expand faster than the universe itself. We have not been able to verify this, and if inflationary theory is correct, it still means there is a limited range of the universe we can see.

It will be interesting to see how small or big of a step this proposed new theory actually is.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:33:59 AM by ArchE_Cat »

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 26, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »

Just out of curiosity, do you like to use Philosophy to look into this God discussion or are you strictly a science guy?  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:46:12 PM by the KHAN! »
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 26, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »

Just out of curiosity, do you like to use Philosophy to look into this God discussion or are you strictly a science guy?  

I do enjoy philosophy, but I would say that my own reasons for disbelief come from a scientific background, and I'm less familiar with all of the current philosophical arguments.  Maybe that is something I need to remedy.  

Edit: and I guess there is the philosophical aspect of how do we know things to be true, but yeah, I haven't really thought much about the philosophical arguments and looked into them as much.  But then again, philosophy tends to just go round and round. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:31:31 PM by dohminator »

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 26, 2011, 01:25:18 PM »

The not yet complete theory proposed in this article just raises more questions. In, fact in raises questions about another universe.

A particular problem is that of entropy. For the previous universe to have have collapsed, it's entropy would had to approach an absolute minimum. For our universe as we approach t=0 we approach infinite density and temperature at a finite point in time (yes, the article points this out). We have observed that our universe expanded from the infinite density and temperature to where we are today, and as the expansion continues entropy approaches a maximum limit. So basically entropy goes from 0 to positive infinity for our universe as we know it. If the proposed new theory is assuming that the previous universe is a somewhat backwards model of our universe, it still doesn't explain what happens at t=0 or t=infinity, it just shows that at that time the rules of the current model no longer apply.

Our current universe model will eventually become too cool to sustain life because it expands forever. So this gives us only a few options. 1) something we have no idea about happens at t=infinity in order to to reverse the process back toward the minimum of entropy. 2) the previous universe has completely different constraints (volume? mass? energy? limits of entropy?). 3) our current model is farther off then what we think. Either way this new theory just raises more questions ,could be good, could be bad.

The reason it could be bad is that our model may become skewed because we don't have enough info. And, we may never have enough info. For the theory of relativity to work light must travel at a finite rate. This means the light from things that have already happened an extremely long time ago may never reach us. Inflationary theory attempts to resolve this but by assuming that the bounds of the observable universe expand faster than the universe itself. We have not been able to verify this, and if inflationary theory is correct, it still means there is a limited range of the universe we can see.

It will be interesting to see how small or big of a step this proposed new theory actually is.

Yeah, we may never pin it down to exactly what happened, but there are possible scientific explanations that don't require a god to exist. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 26, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »
I absolutely love science.  love it.
trust me.  I would actually prefer it be able to fully explain everything. 

admittedly, I havent done much reading on this subject, however it just seems that everything that gets explained, now our eventually, will still leave the question "what about before that?", or, "and what initiated that?". 

if there was a side to root for, in my mind, it would be science, however I just donny t think it will ever eliminate those types of questions.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 26, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »

edit:  I asked for proof of god's existence earlier

You love.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 26, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »
I haven't really thought much about the philosophical arguments and looked into them as much.

You should.

Offline dohminator

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 26, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »

admittedly, I havent done much reading on this subject, however it just seems that everything that gets explained, now our eventually, will still leave the question "what about before that?", or, "and what initiated that?". 

if there was a side to root for, in my mind, it would be science, however I just donny t think it will ever eliminate those types of questions.

No,  it won't, but why does a god have to be the answer for what happened before everything.  I don't think science should ever give up looking, but it will get harder and harder to explain things as we reach the edge of what we can discover, but there is no indication that anything needed a supernatural force to come into being.  Why would God decide to make it look like He had no hand in it at all. 

On that note, what happened before God? how did God come into being?   

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 26, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »
great point

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 26, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »

No,  it won't, but why does a god have to be the answer for what happened before everything.  I don't think science should ever give up looking, but it will get harder and harder to explain things as we reach the edge of what we can discover, but there is no indication that anything needed a supernatural force to come into being.  Why would God decide to make it look like He had no hand in it at all. 

Must have been another God  :runaway:

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 26, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »

Welcome to philosophy!

I would posit that a God capable of creating this universe would transcend time and space. Of course the question remains...did something create him outside the boundaries of the Universe? I don't know....
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 26, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »

Welcome to philosophy!

I would posit that a God capable of creating this universe would transcend time and space. Of course the question remains...did something create him outside the boundaries of the Universe? I don't know....
SMOKE MONSTER!

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 26, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
Why would God decide to make it look like He had no hand in it at all. 

You're funny.