Author Topic: Holy War  (Read 139733 times)

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Re: Religion,Bible,Church, Etc. Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2011, 05:00:48 PM »

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2011, 05:00:57 PM »
I love this kind of stuff. You can argue all damn day...and there really isn't anyway for anyone to prove they're right. Love it.

Pretty much how I see it.  Goes along with the difference between knowing something and believing something.  I'm good with that.

I find it amusing that people DEMAND "to be as certain of invisible things as I (or in this case they) was that seven and three are ten"

Yet they do not demand this type of proof that their parents are actually their parents. That the Civil War actually happened. That Milan, as a city, exists.

We simply take these other things at other peoples word.  We believe our parents when they tell us that they are our parents. We believe historians when they tell us the Civil War happened without doing the research ourselves. We believe Milan is real just because someone said they were there or had a picture of a city and labeled it so.  But God must present himself personally and shake your hand (you will no doubt check yourself into a psychiatric hospital because it would still be too unbelievable to you) for you to buy in.

There's really no evidence of God though, other than some ridiculously hard to believe things in the Bible. On the other hand, there are millions and millions of witnesses to the Civil war, your "parents" argument is completely irrelevant, and millions and millions of people have been to Milan and can describe it.

There were millions and millions who saw the civil war. Where are they now? Do you believe they existed? Do you believe they told the truth in their writings? You are willing to trust people you never met that what they describe happened at all, or were accurate. The parents argument is not at all irrelevant. Thousands of people find out each year they were adopted, but previously took it for granted that their parents were their biological parents.

Unless you yourself have been to Milan, you are simply trusting to the word of someone else.  You are not completely certain that the place exists, but you believe it.

My point stands, strong as ever, even bolstered.

Are you an evolution denier and young earth creationist?
Nope.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 28, 2011, 05:01:45 PM »
What if Jesus was just a really nice guy?  What if a god judged people based off of the daily choices they make rather than Jesus getting offed?  What if what he did got him judged kindly, but has nothing to do with you or yours?

Better yet, what if god didn't pay any attention to anything "us" related.  What if god exists but doesn't serve the function that many think? 

Christians believe that the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God. It answers all of these questions...There's not much else a Christian can say...

Going back to my analogy of being a beacon of light (which I'm now convinced that my posts are the least read in this thread), I think you are pretty much right.  Christians or anyone else can't prove anything, neither can one set of Christians prove anything to another set of Christians.  I think the hope is that in time that enough people are acting in accordance with the word, that it will illuminate the rest of the world and will overpower the "darkness" that is the opposite of the way of life described in the word.  

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 28, 2011, 05:02:12 PM »
What if Jesus was just a really nice guy?  What if a god judged people based off of the daily choices they make rather than Jesus getting offed?  What if what he did got him judged kindly, but has nothing to do with you or yours?

Better yet, what if god didn't pay any attention to anything "us" related.  What if god exists but doesn't serve the function that many think? 

Christians believe that the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God. It answers all of these questions...There's not much else a Christian can say...

I have a completely serious question: if the Bible is "the divinely inspired word of God," what was wrong with the books that were written, but left out of the final "official" version of the New Testament? Were they less divinely inspired? Were they later removed due to human error? Sorry, LHBIQ.
:adios:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »
Whats wrong with living your life as a good person but not worrying about God or religion?  :dunno:

It's meaningless and stupid.

Only a real idiot would do it.
Why is it meaningless, what can you give back by believing?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 28, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »

I have a completely serious question: if the Bible is "the divinely inspired word of God," what was wrong with the books that were written, but left out of the final "official" version of the New Testament? Were they less divinely inspired? Were they later removed due to human error? Sorry, LHBIQ.

In my honest opinion, yes, at least in some cases.  I, however, would be foolish to claim that I am well versed in theological study to make a substantial claim in these matters.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »
Are you an evolution denier and young earth creationist?
Nope.
[/quote]

o, seemed likely. Your pic is certainly accurate in its statement that it makes sense.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 28, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
Do unborn muslim babies go to heaven?

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 28, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »

"Either Jesus is the Son of God; or a madman or worse. But His being just a great teacher? He's not left that open to us." - C.S. Lewis

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 28, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
There is a pretty active forum devoted to these type of debates, etc. on the 2+2 poker forums.  Pike, I'm sure you would enjoy yourself.  <--- not a put down.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/137/religion-god-theology/

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 28, 2011, 05:08:34 PM »

"Either Jesus is the Son of God; or a madman or worse. But His being just a great teacher? He's not left that open to us." - C.S. Lewis

yeah there some nice things written about him 2 and 3 generations after his death. but nothing that hadn't been said before by philosophers whose blood isn't ritually consumed.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 28, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »
Whats wrong with living your life as a good person but not worrying about God or religion?  :dunno:

So my day to day enjoyment of life is meaningless? My appreciation of different activities and interactions with people is somehow meaningless because I don't think base my enjoyment of these things on a God or religion?

Enjoy every moment of your life for what it is. Enjoy even the depressing times because you know you'll appreciate the good ones more. Enjoy the depth of your emotions, the use of your abilities, and the beauty of the world around you.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2011, 05:11:54 PM »
ok boys off to the pit

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »
 :gocho:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »
ok boys off to the pit
Took longer than expected.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:03 PM »
ok boys off to the pit
Took longer than expected.

glad it made it here before i got drunk.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 28, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »

So my day to day enjoyment of life is meaningless? My appreciation of different activities and interactions with people is somehow meaningless because I don't think base my enjoyment of these things on a God or religion?

Enjoy every moment of your life for what it is. Enjoy even the depressing times because you know you'll appreciate the good ones more. Enjoy the depth of your emotions, the use of your abilities, and the beauty of the world around you.

Yeah, I really hope your post was facetious PW. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »

Isn't Lewis a writer of religious based books?

Also, there can easily be an in between. 

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »
the god people have a disadvantage because they have no proof of an invisible ghost guy.  the burden is on them.

:emawkid:

You obviously don't watch Ghost Adventurers.  

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 28, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis

Very respected thinker. Not an idiot in other terms.

Also, I can't see how there is an inbetween in this case.

A guy claiming to be God is either A. God. B. A liar. C. A crazyman.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 28, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »
There is a pretty active forum devoted to these type of debates, etc. on the 2+2 poker forums.  Pike, I'm sure you would enjoy yourself.  <--- not a put down.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/137/religion-god-theology/

Looks like a slug fest  :pbj:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
I'd like to find some middle ground so let's post things that EVERYONE can agree on.

1.  IF there is a God, he obviously loves the really good looking people more than the uglier ones.   :gocho:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 28, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »
What if Jesus was just a really nice guy?  What if a god judged people based off of the daily choices they make rather than Jesus getting offed?  What if what he did got him judged kindly, but has nothing to do with you or yours?

Yes, he was.

But that comment was said in context of the claims Jesus made himself, ie. its ridiculous to believe he was a "good teacher" when compared to some of the other truly radical (or crazy) things that he said.  Of course, that also presupposes that a person thinks the texts that we have quoting him are accurate and reliable.

Offline SlamSam

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 28, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »

In my honest opinion, yes, at least in some cases.  I, however, would be foolish to claim that I am well versed in theological study to make a substantial claim in these matters.

These books were included in the original Bible but dropped by later forms of Christianity. If you are speaking of books such as Baruch, 1 Esdras, Judith, Maccabees, Sirach, etc... then this is the case. These books are quoted throughout the New Testament (not word for word, but the readings retain their meaning). Examples include in Jas. 1:19 it says, "Let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak", and in Sir. 5:11 it says, "Be quick to hear, and use self-restraint in answering". This reference shows that the early church recognized these books as scripture. It was not until A.D. 170 that anyone wrote that these books should not be included in the Bible. During that time, it was only the opinion of a few, not the entire Church. In A.D. 419 the Council held at Carthage officially decided that these books were part of scripture. The 6th and 7th Ecumenical Councils ratified this decision.

(This is found in a book called "Dance, O Isaiah" and backed up in many Church History Books.)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #249 on: February 28, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »

BOOM

we can do this all day...

mine is funnier.
Mine is more accurate.

So it's easier to believe something as insane as Christianity than it is to believe a theory backed with some form of scientific evidence?

Good to know.

OK Cat...do they have this in a T-Shirt?  Preferably purple so I can wear it to KSU games?