Author Topic: Holy War  (Read 140390 times)

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Religion,Bible,Church, Etc. Thread
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2011, 02:12:27 PM »
God created us through evolution and formed the universe via the big bang. Wrap your head around that.

He tells us he didn't.

He said He created us in His image. He did not discuss the point A to point B process.

As for creation of the universe, what is more divine than a thunderous explosion and instant creation?

Prove this wrong.

Sloppy, cut/paste:

Genesis 2:

5When no(D) bush of the field[a] was yet in the land and no small plant of the field had yet sprung up—for the LORD God had not caused it to rain on the land, and there was no man(E) to work the ground, 6and a mist[c] was going up from the land and was watering the whole face of the ground— 7then the LORD God formed the man of(F) dust from the ground and(G) breathed into his(H) nostrils the breath of life, and(I) the man became a living creature. 8And the LORD God planted a(J) garden in Eden, in the east, and there he put the man whom he had formed.
20The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam[g] there was not found a helper fit for him. 21So the LORD God caused a(U) deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 22And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made[h] into a woman and brought her to the man.

This is in every Bible where it has not intentionally been removed by someone who didn't like it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2011, 02:13:06 PM »
With no religion morals would be set by the biggest strongest guy that killed the most people to achieve his position.

No.  Law and organized society may be set this way, but you would still understand what others feel by understanding what you feel.  Not to get to PW on that part, but you would still understand that you wouldn't like to be murdered and therefore you shouldn't murder others.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2011, 02:15:28 PM »
With no religion morals would be set by the biggest strongest guy that killed the most people to achieve his position.

This would have already happened according to some, I think.

It apparently didn't.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »
Oh dear, I missed out on the age old "If you're an atheist, you have no morals" argument. Very weak sauce argument.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2011, 02:19:57 PM »

No.  Law and organized society may be set this way, but you would still understand what others feel by understanding what you feel.  Not to get to PW on that part, but you would still understand that you wouldn't like to be murdered and therefore you shouldn't murder others.

What about in societies where it was an honor to be the sacrifice to the gods?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
I think one thing that is missing from this debate about morals is what people do when nobody is around. It is easy to be moral and do the right thing when you are in a social setting, but what about when nobody is looking? The idea that a being of some type is always aware of what you are doing, and the possibility of a judgment day, will keep a person from straying down the wrong path. This is where religion and true believers have the advantage over innate moral beliefs.  

That is pure bullshit.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2011, 02:22:12 PM »
I think one thing that is missing from this debate about morals is what people do when nobody is around. It is easy to be moral and do the right thing when you are in a social setting, but what about when nobody is looking? The idea that a being of some type is always aware of what you are doing, and the possibility of a judgment day, will keep a person from straying down the wrong path. This is where religion and true believers have the advantage over innate moral beliefs. 

That is pure bullshit.
Considering the poster I didn't continue reading far enough to catch that gem.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »

That is diff than me killing you to take your house, wife, dinner, etc

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »

That is pure bullcac.

It's borderline narcissism

Offline Dr. tylerhughes

• Fan
  • HEY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »

Perfect example of how stupid it is to think that only religion can give us our morals...

truth is that these people would have loved to die for their gods - because they were terrified of making them angry...

This is just like most religions, and exactly the way people act in North Korea.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »

That is pure bullcac.

It's borderline narcissism

It's what he is taught.  He is better because he believes.  

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »
I'll see you all in hell.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »

I believe in a higher being.  Don't believe in any organized religion. 

There is no hell, bro.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »
there doesn't have to be a god to know that stealing somebody's eggo waffles is a pretty dick move.

Not in Spartan Society.

That would be something GOOD for a young man to do.

don't be a dumbass.  people that don't believe in god let people steal their crap because they are confused about how to respond.

you are taught right vs. wrong by your parents/family, not because of religion.

You really don't understand that there are multiple cultures on this planet right? I mean, that's the only way you'd think my point was just me being a dumbass.

Stealing is not a "dick move" to every group on this planet, and I pointed such a group out. Don't be so butthurt.

Stealing is a dick move, no matter the culture.  Has nothing to do with religion.  If you live in the middle of Africa, away from nearly all civilization, and someone in your tribe steals your eggo waffles, you're going to be pissed.  Find me a culture where everybody is cool with people jacking their stuff.

pretty sure someone said this earlier in the thread, but religion keeps people in line because of a threat of going to a bad place.  It didn't create morals.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »

I believe in a higher being.  Don't believe in any organized religion.  

There is no hell, bro.

There is on Neptune, Bro.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »

Imagine it's worse than the worst thing you can imagine, for eternity.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »
I believe in God and more specifically am a Christian not out of fear of the unknown, or fear of hell, or the desire to be a good person, or because it makes me happy, or a mental disorder, or anything else, but because logically it is the only system that makes sense. Nothing else stands up to it.

I once believed that maybe there was a leap to be taken (a leap of faith), but now I don't even believe that is necessary. There is a difference between unfounded faith: I believe K-State can win the National Championship. And Faith: God is there and He speaks through His creation and through His word (Bible) and everything that he says makes total sense, so I therefore believe in and trust in Him.

Logic and reason tell me Christianity is true. Not my family or friends or a need to have meaning in my life.

I encourage you all to look deeply into it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:55:43 PM by PoetWarrior »

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »

There is no hell, bro.

The difference is that we know Neptune is there. We don't need "faith" for it's existence

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »

There is no hell, bro.

The difference is that we know Neptune is there. We don't need "faith" for it's existence

Oh,  Let's meet there, oh say, tomorrow at 5:00pm for dinner. Sound good?
- chunkles

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »

That is pure bullshit.

Struck a nerve, eh?

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »

There is no hell, bro.

:flush:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »
As far as morals are/were concerned.  Do I think if given the absence of religion and theism, that today's society could function in a productive, moral manner?  Yeah, I think it probably could do okay, though I think religion helps.  But if we are looking at the Bible, and I think we are, we have to understand who it was made for.

The Bible, or more specifically, the Torah, was written for a people who had spent generations in bondage and were in a very real sense heathanous, vile, brutes.  These were not a group of enlightened people like today's society.  They literally were only a small step up from the cave men, and were incredibly perverted.  

So yes, it did take someone to explicitly say, "don't kill each other, rape each other, screw animals, etc," because that is the kind of stuff they were doing all the time.  They call it sin, but could also be looked at as things that are bad for you and will eventually lead to your ruin, both physically and mentally.  They say that the wages of sin is death, well yeah it is.  

Also, yes I know that we all die, but why expedite the process?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »

There is no hell, bro.

CNS Casey is certain of him/herself.

Does he/she know how dumb what he/she just said is?

Hell and Heaven are threats/incentives to live a certain way.

I don't follow organized religion.  However, I still live a life that most would consider one of a good person.  If I am wrong, will your god punish me for living a good life minus the belief in eternal damnation?  I don't need the threat.  I live the same life all of my good Christian friends do, minus their Sunday morning rituals.   I don't believe that this will be the difference in what qualifies a good man from one who is not.  If it does, maybe you should be questioning a god that requires such adoration and praise.  What would be the motives of someone who would prefer you sin as long as you follow rather than one who lived a moral live without being a follower?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »

There is no hell, bro.

:flush:

boom roasted.
- chunkles

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »

That is pure bullshit.

Struck a nerve, eh?

what about all of the priests who are buttfucking little boys in between sermons?  are they not true believers?  if not, then why are you listening to them?