Poll

Will the "cool" Pinstripe Bowl K-State be on the new field at BSFS?

Yes . . . it's cool.  Currie Prevails.
NO . . . OB Wins again.

Author Topic: BSFS Expansion Thread  (Read 3994108 times)

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BSFS Expansion Thread
« Reply #15550 on: February 12, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »
umm... all steal is fireproof, it's metal.
maybe they will fireproof the water at tuttle creek too lulz

No

You still have to protect it from the fire or structurally it'll be compromised (the reason for heat shielding on space craft for example is that the steel/titanium can't handle the heat, it doesn't necessarily burn as it more rapidly melts into molten shards of death) and as for water, I got a lump of sodium I'd like you to throw in tuttle creek, if you're adventurous enough do it close enough so you can see the flame before the boom. 

space craft need to be fireproofed?  really i think now i've heard it all. 
let me point out a simple fact- there is no oxygen in space and all fire (terrestrial and extraterrestrial) requires oxygen *(O2) to exist.  so lets waste money on fireproofing the space ship prior to LHC LHC Bill Snyder blasting off to go visit a recruit on mars.

Looks like ol' cfb could use some fireproofing after that major burn.........

Offline romecat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15551 on: February 12, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »
let me point out a simple fact- there is no oxygen in space and all fire (terrestrial and extraterrestrial) requires oxygen *(O2) to exist.  so lets waste money on fireproofing the space ship prior to LHC LHC Bill Snyder blasting off to go visit a recruit on mars.

Here's the thing about spacecraft, they actually have to be on earth sometime...and believe it or not, there is oxygen (O2) on earth.  Also, if those spacecraft happen to have people aboard (they are referred to as astronauts), they would also need oxygen (O2).  Therefore, I believe that the fireproofing of spacecraft is perfectly logical and necessary.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15552 on: February 12, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »

Here's the thing about spacecraft, they actually have to be on earth sometime...and believe it or not, there is oxygen (O2) on earth.  Also, if those spacecraft happen to have people aboard (they are referred to as astronauts), they would also need oxygen (O2).  Therefore, I believe that the fireproofing of spacecraft is perfectly logical and necessary.

um, ya well- hate to break it to you but when a space ship is inside earth's atmosphere it moves far to fast and the wind would blow out any fire from the oxygen.
i'm also fairly confident that they don't make space ships out of steel as it's far too heavy and require maximum thrust from the engines which would burn too much fuel.
truthfully, you can rest assured they don't use fireproofing on metal or space ships.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15553 on: February 12, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »
Yeah I mean, Challenger didn't look to fireproof to me...... :buh-bye:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15554 on: February 12, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »
have you ever seen an olympic torch before?  pretty sure they're not fireproof.  yet they're made of metal. why no explosion?   :confused:

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15555 on: February 12, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »
Wonder when someone will bring up the lack of proper fireproof beams and the World Trade towers. What I just did.
RIP Fatty

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15556 on: February 12, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
This convo has done nothing but raise my confidence that we are building the utmost safest structure for our student athletes.  I bet this building will NEVER explode. Thank goodness for steel.

Also I bet there are fire exits and like...those exit signs that light up when its all smoky. Not that they will ever need it. At K-State we just cross every i and dot every t, you know?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15557 on: February 12, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »
Wonder when someone will bring up the lack of proper fireproof beams and the World Trade towers. What I just did.

There are several different theories that go along with why the fireproofing failed at WTC.

Take it to the Pit.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15558 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:45 AM »
Never gets old watch 'clams clown fools.  Exploding steel?  lol

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15559 on: February 12, 2015, 10:35:58 AM »
This convo has done nothing but raise my confidence that we are building the utmost safest structure for our student athletes.  I bet this building will NEVER explode. Thank goodness for steel.

Also I bet there are fire exits and like...those exit signs that light up when its all smoky. Not that they will ever need it. At K-State we just cross every i and dot every t, you know?

ya know what? I bet they're even going to put in fire sprinklers. Talk about forward thinking.  :ksu:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15560 on: February 12, 2015, 10:52:56 AM »
have you ever seen an olympic torch before?  pretty sure they're not fireproof.  yet they're made of metal. why no explosion?   :confused:

wow, an excellent point
emaw

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #15561 on: February 12, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »
omg clams

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15562 on: February 12, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »

There are several different theories that go along with why the fireproofing failed at WTC.

Take it to the Pit.

Was going to say that but it's too pitish to muck up this thread.

And no, don't feel burned at all by clams,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireproofing

Applications[edit]
Structural steel to keep below critical temperature ca. 540 °C
Electrical circuits to keep critical electrical circuits below 140 °C so they stay operational
Liquified petroleum gas containers to prevent a BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion)
Vessel skirts and pipe bridges in an oil refinery or chemical plant to keep the structural steel below critical temperature ca. 540°
Concrete linings of traffic tunnels

dumbass
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15563 on: February 12, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »
This page was last edited 02/12/2015 at 10:57:43 AM CST

:sdeek:

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15564 on: February 12, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »

Take it to the Pit.

Applications[edit]
Electrical circuits to keep critical electrical circuits below 140 °C so they stay operational
Liquified petroleum gas containers to prevent a BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion)
Vessel skirts and pipe bridges in an oil refinery or chemical plant to keep the structural steel below critical temperature ca. 540°

dumbass
Wait, why are you calling me a dumbass?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15565 on: February 12, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »

Take it to the Pit.

Applications[edit]

dumbass
Wait, why are you calling me a dumbass?

Not you, 'clams, hit the wrong quote button, now im the dumbass  :facepalm:

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15566 on: February 12, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
 :lol:

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15567 on: February 12, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »
If the word "fire" is bothering 'clams too much in the term could just be "heatproof" but w/e semantics. The structure should still have it. As does any spacecraft if it wants to reenter the atmosphere and not colombia itself

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15568 on: February 12, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

ya know what? I bet they're even going to put in fire sprinklers. Talk about forward thinking.  :ksu:
probably put up no smoking signs too

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15569 on: February 12, 2015, 01:12:41 PM »
If the word "fire" is bothering 'clams too much in the term could just be "heatproof" but w/e semantics. The structure should still have it. As does any spacecraft if it wants to reenter the atmosphere and not colombia itself
so the new Vanier complex needs to fireproof the steel construction because it might get hit by a space ship when it reenters the atmosphere? i have proven in this thread that the steel cannot catch fire.  and the chances of a meteor or space ship reentering the atmosphere and hitting the vanier is very slim.  asking a contractor to fireproof the steel will result in two things 1) contractor and entire steel industry laughing at us, and 2) increased cost to project.

one last point before i leave this thread- what do you think fire sprinklers are made out of?  the answer is steel.  if it was so risky, why wouldn't they make them out of a different compound such as clay, which can withstand thousands of degrees (ever take a ceramics course in school and put something in a kiln?)?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15570 on: February 12, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
Can't wait to reread this entire thread when I'm retired and laugh really hard at arguments over steel and if it is fireproof or not.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15571 on: February 12, 2015, 02:31:46 PM »
Clams is getting destroyed by cfbandyman! Wow!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15572 on: February 12, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »
Clams is getting destroyed by cfbandyman! Wow!
Yeah, clams is really going down in flames! (heh)

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15573 on: February 12, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
'Clams tapped out too fast after cfb dropped the wikipedia bomb IMO. Wait a second...are we building this thing bomb proof?! :runaway:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15574 on: February 12, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
'Clams tapped out too fast after cfb dropped the wikipedia bomb IMO. Wait a second...are we building this thing bomb proof?! :runaway:

i did not tap out, i have proven my point countless times in this thread.  i hate embarrassing fellow cats but the idea that metal can catch fire is asinine.