Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5618910 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #26000 on: June 11, 2021, 01:05:33 PM »
I would like to see our coaching staff perform job function 1b better and I declare that it’s perfectly fine to discuss when they perform that job function poorly.
Everyone has bitched about K-state recruiting for the history of time. You wish the new coach would be better at it, but on paper he’s the best we’ve seen since the 90’s. I agree, I’m confused by the constant whining about it.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26001 on: June 11, 2021, 01:07:17 PM »
His ability to bring in adequate transfers in every year is amazing. We had zero RB’s going into his first year and he brought in 3 good transfer RB’s. One, which was at one time, a 4 star.
“good”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That trio was one of the best rushing attacks in the league  that year. He was hired late too and did all of that in the spring.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26002 on: June 11, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »
I'm not worried about the recruiting yet. If we don't win at least 8 games this year, I will probably start wanting him fired.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26003 on: June 11, 2021, 01:31:41 PM »
I think Kli is a lot like Snyder in the regard that he coaches players up above their rating. I'll be upset too if we don't perform this year, but like other posters have said, I like him, a lot. I don't count last years covid year at all. I saw what we could be before a true freshman had to come in, who had no idea what he was doing.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26004 on: June 11, 2021, 01:40:07 PM »
I would like to see our coaching staff perform job function 1b better and I declare that it’s perfectly fine to discuss when they perform that job function poorly.
Everyone has bitched about K-state recruiting for the history of time. You wish the new coach would be better at it, but on paper he’s the best we’ve seen since the 90’s. I agree, I’m confused by the constant whining about it.
Because it can be better.  Using the crap recruiting of the past as your base line is not a good look.

It’s okay to expect more from the highest paid football coach in Kstate history working with $235 million dollars of new facilities with another $25 million breaking ground soon.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26005 on: June 11, 2021, 01:45:42 PM »
I still think the jury's out on his recruiting ability at this level given the covid weirdness! Some has been really good (Youngblood, Deuce, Jake) and some of the L's have been brutal!

There will always be brutal L's. The worst one is a kid that no one talks about and that's the Langolis kid out of Louisiana. If we view recruiting out of the prism of who we don't get, then people who want to will always have their fuel to be  :curse: They literally have hundreds of targets to sign 18 or so high school kids. If they're able to land a couple of Diamonds in the rough like Deuce and the occasional big timer like Rubley they'll be fine.

Their first class was crap but they should get a pass for that.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26006 on: June 11, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »
Because it can be better.  Using the crap recruiting of the past as your base line is not a good look.

It’s okay to expect more from the highest paid football coach in Kstate history working with $235 million dollars of new facilities with another $25 million breaking ground soon.
Guy who constantly rips how shitty the state of Kansas is, because he hit the big lights of Birmingham, Alabama thinks recruiting should be better at K-State. Makes sense.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26007 on: June 11, 2021, 01:49:30 PM »
 :surprised:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26008 on: June 11, 2021, 01:50:16 PM »
His ability to bring in adequate transfers in every year is amazing.

Uh this is definitely wait and see. He did do a good job with the two RBs in '19, Trotter was a Snyder transfer. Last year was less successful, Briley was good but his impact was minimal, the other transfers, the Minnesota DB, can't think of anyone else, didn't do much.

He's really going to need a couple of these '21 transfers to have an immediate impact.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26009 on: June 11, 2021, 01:51:01 PM »
I still think the jury's out on his recruiting ability at this level given the covid weirdness! Some has been really good (Youngblood, Deuce, Jake) and some of the L's have been brutal!

There will always be brutal L's. The worst one is a kid that no one talks about and that's the Langolis kid out of Louisiana. If we view recruiting out of the prism of who we don't get, then people who want to will always have their fuel to be  :curse: They literally have hundreds of targets to sign 18 or so high school kids. If they're able to land a couple of Diamonds in the rough like Deuce and the occasional big timer like Rubley they'll be fine.

yep. And I'm probably more concerned with the attrition than the actual L's. the dropoff when people get hurt has been brutal going back into the Snyder days - the first string can generally compete with most, but man our depth has sucked

(and again, I recognize covid is a factor)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26010 on: June 11, 2021, 01:52:09 PM »
I'm not worried about the recruiting yet. If we don't win at least 8 games this year, I will probably start wanting him fired.

Jesus. That second sentence doesn't really connote the non worry you stated in the first sentence.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26011 on: June 11, 2021, 01:53:11 PM »

yep. And I'm probably more concerned with the attrition than the actual L's. the dropoff when people get hurt has been brutal going back into the Snyder days - the first string can generally compete with most, but man our depth has sucked

Completely agree with you. Half of the DBs leaving within weeks of each other is a massive red flag.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26012 on: June 11, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
His ability to bring in adequate transfers in every year is amazing.

Uh this is definitely wait and see. He did do a good job with the two RBs in '19, Trotter was a Snyder transfer. Last year was less successful, Briley was good but his impact was minimal, the other transfers, the Minnesota DB, can't think of anyone else, didn't do much.

He's really going to need a couple of these '21 transfers to have an immediate impact.
I agree. Briley would have been more of a factor if Sky doesn't get hurt though. The Louisville Safety transfer we got this year should be pretty damn good. Yeast.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26013 on: June 11, 2021, 01:56:43 PM »

The drop off was due to covid. We had like 30 guys out for the Arkansas State game and other games as well. Last year didn't happen in my mind. I see how the team looked from the start of conference until Sky got knocked out and that's who I think kli is.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26014 on: June 11, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »
wacks, we had a lot of players transfer. that's what I'm referring to.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26015 on: June 11, 2021, 02:01:48 PM »
We ended up being in the middle of the transfer bug compared to other schools. It just felt that way. The new transfer rules killed everyone last year.

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1402711926983905283?s=20

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26016 on: June 11, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »
We ended up being in the middle of the transfer bug compared to other schools. It just felt that way. The new transfer rules killed everyone last year.

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1402711926983905283?s=20

if we're recruiting below average, I don't think being middle of the pack with attrition will cut it long term.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26017 on: June 11, 2021, 02:07:48 PM »
We're above average though in transfers brought in since Kli got here. He's had productive transfers.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26018 on: June 11, 2021, 02:11:23 PM »

Jesus. That second sentence doesn't really connote the non worry you stated in the first sentence.

It's his 3rd season. He needs to finish .500ish in the conference.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26019 on: June 11, 2021, 02:15:23 PM »

His blueprint isn't like Prince's. Not at all. In fact, it's way different at this point.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26020 on: June 11, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »
Yeah, I like him and expect him to do well this year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26021 on: June 11, 2021, 02:23:20 PM »

He can do that and still not win 8 games.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26022 on: June 11, 2021, 02:27:29 PM »
Yeah, I like him and expect him to do well this year.
I honestly think he’s the perfect fit here. I don’t want our fans treating him like Weber, because he has potential to be GREAT. I’m all in on trusting the process at this point. I feel he’s earned that right thus far.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26023 on: June 11, 2021, 02:27:44 PM »

Guy who constantly rips how shitty the state of Kansas is, because he hit the big lights of Birmingham, Alabama thinks recruiting should be better at K-State. Makes sense.

You again affirmed that you're never going to get this message board, so I don't know why you continue to post here.  But I digress

BTW, I've never once claimed to "hit the big lights", I couldn't even begin to touch the FanningBrags you lay down on here.   

I've also not compared K-State to any other school.  The only time I've ever compared K-State to Alabama was discussing LHC Bill Snyder hiding behind his office doors while Nick Saban goes out on the recruiting trail and works his ass off.

Just be forewarned everyone else.   Never want better for K-State, it really pisses #fanningbrag off

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26024 on: June 11, 2021, 02:30:08 PM »

He can do that and still not win 8 games.

Yeah, if Stanford ends up beating us and having a really good year, I'd be ok with 7 wins. I expect them to kind of suck, though. He only needs 3 OOC wins, 4-5 in conference, and a bowl win against some other .500ish team to finish with 8 wins. It's really not asking that much.