Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5622932 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #23175 on: January 14, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
I completely agree.

I accept that we aren't going to take huge leaps forward with this staff, and in exchange I am comforted that we will likely be competitive with this staff.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23176 on: January 14, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »
I'd go even further and say that it's unreasonable to expect better than what we have right now, with ANY staff.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #23177 on: January 14, 2017, 12:33:13 PM »
I understand everyone expects us to recruit like Alabama and all, but are some of you seriously this naive about some of our limitations? It's not a loser mentality to be realistic about our situation.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23178 on: January 14, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
For things to change drastically for the better, a great deal would have to change about the program.  I mean, if you want something you have never had before (recruiting success in the post-internet / recruiting website era), you have to do something you have never done before.

LIKE, assemble the greatest staff money can buy.  I'm talking Leavitt AND Venables on the staff type thing.  Nothing nuts like that will happen with our current budget and donor levels. 

And, that's OK.  We overachieve as it is.  I wish we had less "We get no respect," and more "We are proud of what we accomplish."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23179 on: January 14, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
For things to change drastically for the better, a great deal would have to change about the program.  I mean, if you want something you have never had before (recruiting success in the post-internet / recruiting website era), you have to do something you have never done before.

LIKE, assemble the greatest staff money can buy.  I'm talking Leavitt AND Venables on the staff type thing.  Nothing nuts like that will happen with our current budget and donor levels. 

And, that's OK.  We overachieve as it is.  I wish we had less "We get no respect," and more "We are proud of what we accomplish."

Great points Pete.

Maybe I'm reaching this point because I'm getting older. There are a lot of things in life I really enjoy, but Cat sports (FB/MBB) are up there on my list. I'm fine with that. At 41, I've probably had about 25 seasons where I really followed Cat sports and many of them have provided a ton of fun for me (and my family now). If I'm fortunate, I'm probably about halfway there with Cat seasons I'll get to enjoy. If I can't enjoy seasons like last year in football (or Snyder 2.0 in general), there are probably a lot of seasons I won't enjoy and I'm not going to choose that, especially when I already know that this is something I'm going to choose to invest my free time into. I hope to see another national title contender and maybe even a title in the seasons I have left, but if I don't I still want to enjoy the successes K-State sports provide. That and being an optimistic person in general factors into how I talk and post about K-State sports and my expectations.

Sorry for going a little over the top there.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23180 on: January 14, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »
I hope you get to enjoy today's win over #1, friend. :cheers:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #23181 on: January 14, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »
I understand everyone expects us to recruit like Alabama and all, but are some of you seriously this naive about some of our limitations? It's not a loser mentality to be realistic about our situation.

No one has said recruit like Alabama (who BTW recruit their asses off).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:07:52 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23182 on: January 14, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »
You're so adorable Dax. A true gem.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23183 on: January 14, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »
Don't edit the tuck remark, Dax. I like that I'm tuckish. #family

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23184 on: January 14, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »

Thanks.

Nick Saban hosts recruiting breakfasts at his house in Tuscaloosa the morning after winning the SEC title in Atlanta.   

Urban Meyers says recruiting is job 1b. 

Yet Kstate SuperFan Tuck Nation act like Saban and Meyers don't even have to try and get everyone they want, and constantly whine about limitations . . . Trying to build a case that all Kstate can do is land wide spot in the road recruits from no where Kansas. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23185 on: January 14, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »

Thanks.

Nick Saban hosts recruiting breakfasts at his house in Tuscaloosa the morning after winning the SEC title in Atlanta.   

Yet Kstate SuperFan Tuck Nation act like Saban and Meyers don't even have to try and get everyone they want, and constantly whine about limitations . . . Trying to build a case that all Kstate can do is land wide spot in the road recruits from no where Kansas.

Nobody here really thinks this. Wacky included.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23186 on: January 14, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »

Thanks.

Nobody here really thinks this. Wacky included.

There's a huge TuckNation beyond gE.  Wacks is just our Chief Tuck in Residence.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23187 on: January 14, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »
I heard Sean Snyder hosts Orgies for our guys, but unfortunately our classy cats look like turds. :frown:

Seriously put yourself in an 18 year olds shoes, who has no affiliation to a school growing up. You see the girls and environment at some of these power houses and then you show up at K-State. No rough ridin' thanks if I'm that kid.

I did grow up a die hard cats fan tho. I threw away baseball scholarships to be in student loan debt to be apart of what I loved growing up. Most ppl are die hard about the cats on this board and feel like these kids should feel the same, but it's no dice. It's unrealistic.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23188 on: January 14, 2017, 01:27:38 PM »
But yes, I really wish we were better at recruiting. It would be really cool.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23189 on: January 14, 2017, 01:30:30 PM »
I heard Sean Snyder hosts Orgies for our guys, but unfortunately our classy cats look like turds. :frown:

Seriously put yourself in an 18 year olds shoes, who has no affiliation to a school growing up. You see the girls and environment at some of these power houses and then you show up at K-State. No rough ridin' thanks if I'm that kid.

I did grow up a die hard cats fan tho. I threw away baseball scholarships to be in student loan debt to be apart of what I loved growing up. Most ppl are die hard about the cats on this board and feel like these kids should be the same, but it's no dice. It's unrealistic.

Again, you're creating a paradigm that isn't even being considered and it's the favorite bullshit Tuck Strawman.  That being those that criticize Kstate's recruiting think Kstate should be recruiting on par with the Alabama's of the world. 

We rough ridin' have an $80 million dollar football center and a $90 million dollar press box and nutrition center.  Quit acting like we don't have nice things and our "environment" can't resonate.   

We have a head coach who has left campus one time in forever to do an in home. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23190 on: January 14, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
Recruiting will obviously get better when Snyder is gone, but will the outcome be the same? There's a fine line of what you're wishing for.

The Big Train

« Reply #23191 on: January 14, 2017, 01:33:12 PM »
I enjoy cats sports most years, the exceptions are when I expected more and got way less.  Being a cat fan is in my blood tho, literally, but I do wish we could recruit better sometimes.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23192 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »

I did grow up a die hard cats fan tho. I threw away baseball scholarships to be in student loan debt to be apart of what I loved growing up. Most ppl are die hard about the cats on this board and feel like these kids should feel the same, but it's no dice. It's unrealistic.

We are 35 spots behind a team averaging less than 3 wins per year over the last 3 years located in Ames, Iowa.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23193 on: January 14, 2017, 01:58:15 PM »
Yeah, they have a young coach. Read above. What will they do with it?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23194 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
Also, we've done really well with transfers. We never account this. Strickland will be a beast next year.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:36:34 PM by WackyCat08 »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23195 on: January 14, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/10701

Alabama, Clemson, Texas, etc. All those offers! :love:

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23196 on: January 14, 2017, 02:23:20 PM »
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/10701

Alabama, Clemson, Texas, etc. All those offers! :love:

i'd be willing to bet that's more p 5 offers than every recruit in our '17 class combined. i also heard strickland was incredible on the scout team but "dumb as rocks" fwiw.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23197 on: January 14, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
That sucks.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23198 on: January 14, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »
Do you have an inside guy pvegs? My guy is a donor and he's a little too tuckish like me to get the real information.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23199 on: January 14, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
My guy told me Sisco kid was close to quitting football last year after another surgery. I don't doubt him, but man, I'm happy he didn't.