Author Topic: The end of the NCAA  (Read 2701 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
The end of the NCAA
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The end of the NCAA
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:58:28 PM »
This is a football related thread really. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:46:23 AM »
This is a horrible article. Plus it is a complete knock-off (a bad one at that) of what ESPN already did back in August...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4375901

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:02:26 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/02/16/conference-realignment/index.html?eref=sihp

I like the way this guy thinks

Haverhill is not going to like this.

Might be good for the little fella.  ISU could rule the NCAA once these other teams moved to a different organization.

Haver, just picture this.  ISU, NCAA champs. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:18 AM »
Tough time getting past this part (creepy Match.com bio pic doesn't help):

I hear a telltale thwap-thwap-thwap, and I suddenly find myself standing in front of an open drawer in my kitchen.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »
The guy has a couple of good points.   But I think he's completely misguided on the legal/political piece.

If those 64 attempted to leave the NCAA and start their Uber athletic association . . . I personally believe there would be a mountain of litigation, and massive piles of political interference.    There's a whole bunch of schools with their lawyers, and their politicians in their hip pocket that will fight that to the bitter end.   There's no way a BYU, Iowa State,  Boise State, or a Fresno State lets that happen without filing lawsuit after lawsuit, the entire MAC would file suit . . . it would be endless.   

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »
They'd probably try but the NCAA is more than a little like the UN: membership is entirely voluntary and essentially worthless; the few big money members pay the bills while a horde of ankle-biters try their best to make life more difficult for their betters.  If it came down to the pissant / small money / ankle biter crowd verus the money programs in the courts and smokey political backrooms I'd take the latter in a heartbeat. 

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »
They'd probably try but the NCAA is more than a little like the UN: membership is entirely voluntary and essentially worthless; the few big money members pay the bills while a horde of ankle-biters try their best to make life more difficult for their betters.  If it came down to the pissant / small money / ankle biter crowd verus the money programs in the courts and smokey political backrooms I'd take the latter in a heartbeat. 

You people are deluding yourselves about which side of the have/have-not split the Kansas State University would ultimately be on...
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »

You people are deluding yourselves about which side of the have/have-not split the Kansas State University would ultimately be on...

I completely agree.  I believe it is an "when," not "if" when it comes to the notion that we'll end up in a crap conference.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »
Based purely on the formula that this guys is talking about using . . . K-State is firmly in the Top 64.

But that won't be the formula . . . thing is, IMO the super conferences will be more inclusionairy than exclusionairy.

People aren't lending enough credence to the political climate that's casting a wary eye toward both the NCAA and BCS.   Attempts to be exclusionary are going to be met with piles of litigation and political interference IMO.   

That being said, I believe K-State will be fine from a BCS or BCS type participation conference . . . . TV and exposure could very well be an issue.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 12:12:54 PM »
Thinking about jumping ship from the NCAA, think of all the structure a new affiliation would have to create.  Most rules about amateur athletes, payments, recruiting methods, eligibility, transfers, etc are set by the NCAA, I assume.

All that is up for redefinition if the super conferences form and leave the NCAA.  Could create major changes in how things are done. 

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 12:20:38 PM »
Thinking about jumping ship from the NCAA, think of all the structure a new affiliation would have to create.  Most rules about amateur athletes, payments, recruiting methods, eligibility, transfers, etc are set by the NCAA, I assume.

All that is up for redefinition if the super conferences form and leave the NCAA.  Could create major changes in how things are done. 

Think of: no rules!   :excited: :love: :doom:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 12:23:35 PM »

Think of: no rules!   :excited: :love: :doom:

A new establishment may allow what is now deemed slimy.  Could create spectacular sports.  Could also guarantee that those left out would immediately get worse.  Lots of programs would be crippled.