Author Topic: How possible is it to go from meh b-ball player to d3ish quality?  (Read 766 times)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I was watching some pro b-ball in Asia with a friend, and were discussing the talent level.  I ponder that if I had one year of doing everything to the extreme - intense skills coaching, workouts, hire slaves to play me every day and play in some top am league etc etc, I could make the bench.  I would describe talent as good HS to division 3.  He instantly gave me a 10-1 shot crushing my feelings.

It is unlikely that I try this - if I find the free time, get some other things in order, and can't think of something better to do, 20% I would give it a shot based on action/odds from other people and if I rough ridin' feel like it.  This is like one of those Tim Ferriss random personal challenges .

About me:
- Never played organized b-ball.
- I am 6'0", 150.  6'2" with shoes + hair.
- I'm 23 now, when I was 18 I could easily grab rim with both hands from standstill.  Have dunked a handful of times on real courts, could throw it down 2-handed on the rubber courts at MHS when my legs were fresh.  Currently I can barely grab rim with one hand.
- The workouts I did to attain that vertical used improper form and insufficient rest so my knees are a little "off".
- I could jump, but I'm not one of those fast Asians.
- Mediocre/above average intramural player, totally suck now.

Sure people out there spent their whole lives playing organized ball and suck ass (if you played in hs and are posting on this forum, that would be you).  Putting a one year deadline and top-notch personal instruction would really speed up the process and efficiency.  But would it be enough?!

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
Re: How possible is it to go from meh b-ball player to d3ish quality?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »
I think the chances are good enough that you should give it a shot.  :alleyoop:
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: How possible is it to go from meh b-ball player to d3ish quality?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
I don't think D3 offers scholarships.

Though one time, the U of Dallas offered me a spot on their bball team because "I looked athletic".