Author Topic: Official NASCAR 2023 thread(people are still watching)  (Read 109850 times)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official NASCAR 2020 thread(Anyone still watching?)
« Reply #550 on: April 13, 2020, 06:01:30 PM »
I'm assuming you have to know how to drive a manual to do this?

Simple answer, no.

Most wheel/pedal models have "paddle shifters" on the wheel (like Indy cars utilize), which are relatively simple and do not require the use of a clutch. Of course you still have to understand the tac and when to shift up/down, but you're not actually using a traditional shifter to hit gears.

I've dabbled with both, but since I do a lot of dirt stuff with most cars not needing to shift and some not even having a transmission, I do not have the stick set up and only use the paddle shifters.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 15, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »
Raced with Enfinger (won the Daytona truck race this year) again last night, he's a cool guy. Told a lot of stories and answered a lot of questions.

A few weeks ago, I ran with AJ McCarron at Homestead. Neither of us qualified so we both started at the very back, me being right behind him. We made our way through the field and I passed him with a few laps left when his tires were gone. He reached out after about how much fun we had, and we talked for a few, he seemed like a pretty cool dude as well.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 15, 2020, 09:39:06 AM »
:love:  That's awesome. How long are the races?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 15, 2020, 01:16:30 PM »
This will be another long answer, because there's an insane amount of cars/classes/series.

In almost all of them, there is an "open" set up to race, where there's tons of studying and work put into set ups, and if you don't have a really good one, you're not competitive. And then there's a "fixed" where everyone runs the same set up. (For reference, all of the NASCAR events that have been on TV, have utilized "fixed" set ups) "Open" races are much longer.

Glancing at schedules, I'd guess these are the race lengths for officials races (that count towards your license and safety rating)

NIS, NASCAR iRacing Series (NASCAR) - anywhere from 60-100% of laps (that are ran at the actual race/track)
A Class (NASCAR) - Usually about 25% of laps, races last 45 minutes-hour (Currently at Richmond, races are 65 laps in "fixed", "open" runs 110)
B Class (Xfinity) - Usually about 25% of laps, races last 45 minutes-hour
C Class (Trucks) - Usually about 25% of laps, races last 45 minutes-hour (Currently at Richmond, races are 55 laps)

Then you have tons of the smaller pavement series, indy cars, modifieds, late models, legends, silver crown, etc. I'd say the simple answer is 25% of the actual events for official races? And then hosted events range anywhere from 10 laps to 500.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 15, 2020, 02:33:18 PM »
How much does it cost to assemble a sweet-ass rig? Hate watching racing, but I love racing.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: April 15, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »
How much does it cost to assemble a sweet-ass rig? Hate watching racing, but I love racing.

I'd say you have to spend roughly $1k to put together a functioning set up. In saying that, even the most basic setup needs a really good PC/graphics card, and a high quality gaming monitor (these are way more expensive than I thought before getting into this) w/ a really good refresh rate (I don't know a lot about that stuff but this is key). If you have a shitty monitor, you will lack the frames per second that can affect racing inches from another person streaming. Keep in mind, absolutely every single car on the track is streaming, so you (and everyone) need a good internet connection and smooth stream. It's frustrating when people lack one or the other.

So $1k for basic, all the way up to $50-75k probably? Can do a basic desk, up to a racing seat/cockpit w/ a single monitor or 3 monitors. You can do Virtual reality. Can have surround sound and even motion sensor setups.

I'll have $3k in my final rig and it'll be really nice (dare I say, a sweet-ass rig). I'll post pics when it's done. I'd guess most of these guys doing the stuff they're showing on Fox/FS1 have $5-10k in their setups.

You can probably do a Kroger brand version of what I'm doing for $2k-ish.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 15, 2020, 03:24:20 PM »
This is Denny Hamlin's. Think I read it's worth about $40k

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 15, 2020, 05:03:51 PM »
That seems like a cool hobby. I wish I had a friend that would let me play on theirs.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 17, 2020, 09:47:19 AM »
That seems like a cool hobby. I wish I had a friend that would let me play on theirs.

It's a blast, and somewhat addicting (even more so during this time).

If there is a form of racing you like, it's on there and they've done everything they can to get it damn near the real thing.

Rumors of drag racing coming at some point as well.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 17, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
Before the virus hit, there were typically 6-8 thousand people online globally, during peak hours.

Over the last few weeks, it's been over 13k.

It waters down some of the racing, but also brings in the funding to scan/develop new tracks and cars.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 17, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »
With that many people on, i'm surprised you actually ever raced with those well known peeps. I guess it was bound to happen depending on how often you got on. Or maybe you're that good it groups skill levels together?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 17, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »
Correct. Everything you do in official races is tracked in an iRating (max increase for winning down to max decrease for getting last) and a Safety Rating (if you touch another car, touch the wall, lose control, you lose SR). There are license classes of Rookie, D, C, B, A, Pro. Everyone is pretty much ranked via their iRating, but also need their licenses to race certain classes obviously.

Dirt races usually have anywhere from 10-50 people registered. Each NASCAR division usually has anywhere from 50-250+ registered.

For example, if there are 120 people registered for a NASCAR race, they'll probably do 4 splits and the top 30 in iRating will be first race, the next 31-60 ranked in the second split, 61-90 in 3rd, etc.

I'm ranked pretty high, but over the last few weeks I've usually been bottom of the 1st split, top half of the 2nd, completely depends on number of people registered and the quality, though. When I'm in the top split is when I'm with the best signed in and usually have a few recognizable names, whether through real racing or on the iRacing Coca Cola series. 

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 19, 2020, 12:34:52 PM »
It's on Fox now.. they show a lot of these guys setups

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 20, 2020, 04:27:01 PM »
Avg revenue per team is down $20 million dollars over the last 14 years.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 17, 2020, 02:33:13 PM »
It’s been a long time since I’ve watched nascar but I am so starved of sports I’m watching today! :excited:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 17, 2020, 02:45:33 PM »
It’s been a long time since I’ve watched nascar but I am so starved of sports I’m watching today! :excited:

I spent an hour yday watching cornhole on ESPN...

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 17, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »

I spent an hour yday watching cornhole on ESPN...
Why didn't they have that outside????

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 17, 2020, 04:55:57 PM »

pre-race was a shock to the system to see everyone in masks outside. lotta conflicted rednecks watching this one.

Can't really tell the announcing booth isn't onsite. been pretty good
- chunkles

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 17, 2020, 04:58:22 PM »
Someone should @ me when we're down to like 15 laps, or something.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 18, 2020, 02:44:42 AM »
After the first segment, that was incredibly dull. NASCAR might be the only sport that risks irreparable damage to their brand by doing this.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 18, 2020, 08:12:05 AM »
After the first segment, that was incredibly dull. NASCAR might be the only sport that risks irreparable damage to their brand by doing this.

the current package is god awful.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 22, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
The Wednesday night race was much better.
So I've been lost in the wilderness without a driver for a while now. Lately i've found myself rooting for Chase alot. I wanted to like Byron, but i'm not sure he's got the talent to make it worth my time. Still love that car tho.

Also
- chunkles

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 22, 2020, 10:08:49 AM »
I saw that car and got all nostalgic

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 25, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »
Sorry not sorry that I don't much care for the 178 MPH speeds at the end of the back straight away at Charlotte, when in days past, the top back straight away speeds at Charlotte were 200-203.   Just one example of the "restricted" HP going down market from Daytona and Dega. 

They've delayed the Gen 7 car a year.    Bigger rims, wider tires, single lug nut, independent rear suspension, but still pretty much "restricted" to the 550HP range.   They want more manufacturers in the business and they want the cars to be more like what's in the showroom.    Welp, if you want to get back to more like "stock" car racing they also need to widen the parameters and be more "run what ya brung".   If you suck and you're always 3 laps down, too bad, do better.    Also, they're still running old school power steering, dumb.   That kind of power steering is pretty much extinct from modern cars.

It's 2020 and the Gen 7 car is sort of approaching around 2000, but at least it's out of the 80's.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 25, 2020, 09:07:25 PM »
I think I agree with you? idk, hard to tell.

One way or the other they need to make these things harder to drive. throttle control needs to make a comeback.

two races a week have been pretty nice, i must admit. Even as boring as a few have been
- chunkles