Author Topic: Ask Dr. goEMAW: Stupid science questions your teachers never answered  (Read 10262 times)

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Dr. goEMAW: Stupid science questions your teachers never answered
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »
I'm no doctor, but I would guess tails lost their value as primates moved out of trees. The added balance just wasn't needed on the ground.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
What health risks are involved in the case of an erection lasting longer than three hours.

I think Trim's question about muscle tearing answers this.  Also, I think the time period in your question answers Trims.

That's right folks, a perfect pair of questions.   :surprised:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
What health risks are involved in the case of an erection lasting longer than three hours.

I think Trim's question about muscle tearing answers this.  Also, I think the time period in your question answers Trims.

I wear a purple speedo for bodybuilding comps.  LSOC wears black.  Get your stats STRAIGHT!

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
i always wondered if we've been through like 3 or 4 big bangs, and that in the previous big bang, ksu kats won the ncaa natl championship.

:horrorsurprise:

We win titles every year in every sport in some parallel universe according to that Asian physicist guy

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »

I wear a purple speedo for bodybuilding comps.  LSOC wears black.  Get your stats STRAIGHT!

I gotta get better at multiple uses of the quote function in the same post.  This is embarrassing.  Hopefully you at least gained some erection/workout knowledge. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 02:28:25 AM »
You wouldn't poopie anymore.

-dr. Dlew

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »
How long was it before the big bang (answer will prolly be something lame like "time didn't exist" but I don't accept that unless it's explained to me in a way that I can understand it)

Time being a human construct, it didn't exist. And, since time is merely a human construct that is quite specific to Earth's rotation and our planet's orbit around the sun, any explanation of time before the big bang would be incomprehensible to us since we wouldn't have any frame of reference. That is provided anything existed before the big bang.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »
 :blank:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »

Look. I specifically put "stupid" in the thread title. You don't have to big time us like that. We're not just some clump of dead blood cells ready for excretion.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 02:51:07 PM »

Look. I specifically put "stupid" in the thread title. You don't have to big time us like that. We're not just some clump of dead blood cells ready for excretion.
:kitt:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid science questions your teachers never answered
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
I think a better question might be, "If you ate in an extremely efficient manner how much poop would you produce?"  Then we could all do an experiment or something.  Right now I don't eat very effeciently so I poop quite a bit.

You can very easily test this.  Give your dog cheap, horrible Walmart dog food for like a month, then get him a premium food for a month and see the difference in poops.  He will thank you very much for not being a cheap bastard anymore. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 10:54:50 PM »
Is a bird in the hand really worth two in the bush, or is it really dependent on your hunting skill and any number of other variables.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 10:56:52 PM »
Is a bird in the hand really worth two in the bush, or is it really dependent on your hunting skill and any number of other variables.

Pretty stupid saying. If you have a bird in hand just snap it's rough ridin' neck and go after the two in the bush.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32:34 PM »
The doctor is watching squash at the moment. He wants to be helpful but he is best with questions concerning the human body.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 11:43:59 PM »
The doctor is watching squash at the moment. He wants to be helpful but he is best with questions concerning the human body.

How many average size dicks does it take to get to the moon?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 01:34:48 PM »

Mine was, Doctor dummie.   :dubious:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2012, 10:21:16 AM »
How do "chills" work?  Like when you get "chills" from witnessing something awesome.

Space is always depicted as being at night.  Shouldn't parts of space that are closer to the sun be in daylight?

Offline Dr. Fitz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »
How do "chills" work?  Like when you get "chills" from witnessing something awesome.

Space is always depicted as being at night.  Shouldn't parts of space that are closer to the sun be in daylight?

1.  Getting "chills" is usually typical of people who were weaned off of their mommy's teets before they were ready.

2.  Let me use an analogy I think you will understand:  Imagine your computer screen is the sun and your mom's dark basement, where you live, is outer space.  Even though the screen emits light, the basement is so dark and pathetic that it remains almost completely dark.  The light from the computer screen "lights up" only the few objects in the room, like your twin bed and and your mom when she comes down to gather up your dishes and take them up to the kitchen. Much like how the sun only "lights up" objects in outer space like planets but not the space itself.  HTH.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »
T-Y, Doc.  On the space question, that analogy helps, but what is the object being lit up when I look into the day-lit clear sky during the time when our side of the Earth is facing the sun?  For the purposes of this analogy, pretend I leave the basement and go outside once in a while.

Everyone else, I'd like a 2nd (or more) opinion on the chills question.

Offline Dr. Fitz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
T-Y, Doc.  On the space question, that analogy helps, but what is the object being lit up when I look into the day-lit clear sky during the time when our side of the Earth is facing the sun?  For the purposes of this analogy, pretend I leave the basement and go outside once in a while.

Everyone else, I'd like a 2nd (or more) opinion on the chills question.

Think about what happens whenever you approach a group of girls.  They scatter in all directions, right? Well, that's what happens to blue light rays as they enter our atmosphere thus making the sky appear blue. In space (your mom's basement) there is no atmosphere (girls) so it just appears black.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
Dr. Chings?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
I hope Dr. Fitz's sole purpose on this board is to mock us all relentlessly

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
Somewhat related, explanation of chills or "goosebumps" when someone says something borderline weird/creepy?

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2012, 09:36:19 PM »
Somewhat related, explanation of chills or "goosebumps" when someone says something borderline weird/creepy?

Hairs standing on end (piloerection / goosebumps) is a holdover from evolutionary history.  Chimps and other primates have their hairs stand up to make them look bigger when faced with a potentially threatening situation.  Piloerection also conveys that a primate is agitated or nervous to other members of its own species.  This reflex also helps increase insulation when cold, hence the link between the "chills" and goosebumps.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
Well, there you go, Daris.