Author Topic: Specialized  (Read 2514 times)

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Specialized
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »
Crosstrail sport disc.  Thoughts?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Specialized
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »
looks like a decent mid-entry level bike...specialized is a good name :dunno:

unless you're super serious about biking i don't know why it would be any better/worse than a similar priced bike from any other big name manufacturer- meaning it should do the job of getting you through the trails a couple times a month

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »
I'm going to be riding about 3-5 times a week.  I've got a foot injury so I can't really run anymore.  Thought I'd take up biking.  Will be using it on the road about 70% of the time, 30% on the trail.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 10:46:33 PM »
I'm going to be riding about 3-5 times a week.  I've got a foot injury so I can't really run anymore.  Thought I'd take up biking.  Will be using it on the road about 70% of the time, 30% on the trail.
it will be fine- if you're going to be riding that much on the road, you may want to consider getting a straight road bike.  i have a mountain bike that i ride around on the roads a lot during the week after work, etc just because i don't have easy access to trails where i live, and it kind of sucks after a while because you have to work so much harder with those fat tires on the street.  there really is no such thing as a good hybrid that will do both well...imo.

then maybe later this summer try and buy a decent used mtn bike off of craigslist or something.  i'm going to try and find a used road bike this season myself.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:57:39 AM »
the reason I like this one is that it has the locking shocks and has the bigger wheels so it doesn't have the same handicaps the normal hybrids do.  I thought about a road bike, but I live outside of town and don't really want to break a road bike with regular use on rock roads. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 07:02:57 AM »
had a walmart bmx style bike when I was little that had the brakes where you pushed backward on the peddles and it locked up the rear wheel so you could skid around like a complete badass.  you mad?  :cool:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:18:30 AM »
the reason I like this one is that it has the locking shocks and has the bigger wheels so it doesn't have the same handicaps the normal hybrids do.  I thought about a road bike, but I live outside of town and don't really want to break a road bike with regular use on rock roads. 

locking shock def helps, i have one on my bike too.  if you're hayseeding it out in mantucky with the dirt roads, then that specialized is prob the best option for you.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:29:27 AM »
had a walmart bmx style bike when I was little that had the brakes where you pushed backward on the peddles and it locked up the rear wheel so you could skid around like a complete badass.  you mad?  :cool:

Steve dave, please have ichabod cat teach you how to move posts, then move your post to "claim to fame" thread.  Thanks in advance.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:32:54 AM »
Also, I do not live in, about, or around Manhattan.  I live right outside of KC.  Please don't lump me in with those hicks.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:35:12 AM »
Also, I do not live in, about, or around Manhattan.  I live right outside of KC.  Please don't lump me in with those hicks.

impossible.  the only place in or around the state of ks that has anything close to being rural (dirt roads) is mantucky.  the rest of kansas (esp lawrence) is basically new york city with a san francisco flair

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »
Don't be gay, get a single-speed rigid. 

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »

"Single-speed rigid" sounds more gay than anything I can even think of.  I'll pass.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »

single-speed rigid for his dirt road riding kansas adventures.  don't be stupid.

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
Look elsewhere.  The component set-up in this bike is almost laughable. Stay away from Specialized unless you can spend big bucks for a FS.  If you want a brand-new bike that actually is worth the money, consider spending over $600.  I'd  buy an older pre-owned model that has all the component upgrades. 

Then again, I don't know what your riding level is or how serious you are about biking.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »
Look elsewhere.  The component set-up in this bike is almost laughable. Stay away from Specialized unless you can spend big bucks for a FS.  If you want a brand-new bike that actually is worth the money, consider spending over $600.  I'd  buy an older pre-owned model that has all the component upgrades. 

Then again, I don't know what your riding level is or how serious you are about biking.

ya i don't know much about the components they're using but assume that just about every major brand bike you buy at that price point would have similar grade components.  sticking with a big brand also is good if there's a problem/need for a warranty fix/repair

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
make sure the brakes are in the peddles and not those loser handlebar brakes.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
make sure the brakes are in the peddles and not those loser handlebar brakes.

hey, everyone look at the rich kid flaunting all his cool stuff.

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 05:55:59 PM »

ya i don't know much about the components they're using but assume that just about every major brand bike you buy at that price point would have similar grade components.  sticking with a big brand also is good if there's a problem/need for a warranty fix/repair

Specialized use dogshit components.  If your crankset and suspension fork are the same brand...you got problems. 

k_m, check this bike. http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/kaitai

I'm prone to Fisher, Bontrager components.  Quality.