Author Topic: I will give you one positive about this class (non-Sams related)...  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Some way, somehow, in the ten years that I've religiously followed KSU football recruiting, I don't think I've ever seen them sign five prep defensive linemen in the same class.  If you count Klein, the grayshirt from last year, it's six.  They also supplemented that with two JUCO players for immediate depth.

Again, I'm not going to talk about quality, etc.  However, this, in my time following KSU, is unprecedented.

:users:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline i poo crabs

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: I will give you one positive about this class (non-Sams related)...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
Some way, somehow, in the ten years that I've religiously followed KSU football recruiting, I don't think I've ever seen them sign five prep defensive linemen in the same class.  If you count Klein, the grayshirt from last year, it's six.  They also supplemented that with two JUCO players for immediate depth.

Again, I'm not going to talk about quality, etc.  However, this, in my time following KSU, is unprecedented.

:users:
Excellent! I totally agree.  I'm a strong believer that D-line is the foundation of a strong defense.  We do seem to have twice as many DE than DTs though.  I'd like it to be more balanced.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »
That's fair.

I used to follow football recruiting a bunch, but IMO its pretty big waste of time. There are some decent looking players in this class, and some that could potentially fill needs, but that's not anything new. Like always we missed out on a few we probably needed, and we didn't sign anybody above 3 stars. But I'm not going to freak out either way. Its much better to get 4 and 5 star kids b/c the likelyhood of them panning out is better, but as a K-State fan I was so burned by the 4 and 5 stars we did sign, I've even given up on that. We'll just have to see if anyone in this group can actually help fix what was a terrible defense last year, and our hope for the future on that side of the ball is indeed that some of those guys you mentioned become players. I'm excited to get an athletic prospect like Sams, but we'll see how he develops and I'm afraid if people are expecting him to be some sort of savior this next season they will be very disappointed.

IHMO, its so much harder to tell with football recruits (besides the 4 and 5 star stud athletes) that you really have to give it time. Snyder has his faults in the recruiting process, but for the most part his signing day cliche of not knowing what we have in any class until a couple years later really is true and it likely always will be for K-State football.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
That's fair.

I used to follow football recruiting a bunch, but IMO its pretty big waste of time. There are some decent looking players in this class, and some that could potentially fill needs, but that's not anything new. Like always we missed out on a few we probably needed, and we didn't sign anybody above 3 stars. But I'm not going to freak out either way. Its much better to get 4 and 5 star kids b/c the likelyhood of them panning out is better, but as a K-State fan I was so burned by the 4 and 5 stars we did sign, I've even given up on that. We'll just have to see if anyone in this group can actually help fix what was a terrible defense last year, and our hope for the future on that side of the ball is indeed that some of those guys you mentioned become players. I'm excited to get an athletic prospect like Sams, but we'll see how he develops and I'm afraid if people are expecting him to be some sort of savior this next season they will be very disappointed.

IHMO, its so much harder to tell with football recruits (besides the 4 and 5 star stud athletes) that you really have to give it time. Snyder has his faults in the recruiting process, but for the most part his signing day cliche of not knowing what we have in any class until a couple years later really is true and it likely always will be for K-State football.

My main point, I guess, is that there were years we couldn't even seem to get a single three-star DE to sign.  The gap there was horrendous.  We struck out with everyone.

The fact that we have six of them to develop in a single class is a positive to me.  It increases the odds one or two of them could actually be decent.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »
Yeah, I agree with that point very much.

Offline i poo crabs

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
Marquel Bryant is cousins with Dez Bryant

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 06:24:24 PM »

:jerk:
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »

Feces is a cousin of prime rib
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
Another positive is that Bill did not waste a precious scholly on one of his grandchildren, nephews, or 3rd cousin this year.  So far anyway.   :dunno:

Offline purplenutz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:37:03 PM »
Another positive is that Bill did not waste a precious scholly on one of his grandchildren, nephews, or 3rd cousin this year.  So far anyway.   :dunno:

Well, unless Marquel Bryant is somehow cousins with LHC Bill Snyder, since we're on the cousins/relatives thing.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »

Feces is a cousin of prime rib
:lol:

Offline opcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
DT is the hardest position to recruit.

So recruit a lot of them.

Half of them will be busts.   Numbers game.

We still didn't get the other DT - Mcreynolds.    There's another guy out there. Not sure.
MY NIGGA